Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wisconsin public land Black Bear

RyeGuy74

Does anyone have any advice for a guy who will be hunting the thick woods of northern Wisconsin on public land for Black bear?

I live and hunt in zone C in west central Wisconsin. My public land baits are located in out of the way areas with some sort of inconvenience in the way. Like gated trails, clear cuts, swamps, rivers anything that makes it hard for people access. My bait sites usually have 3 things, reliable water source, dense cover and a natural food source close.

I live and hunt in zone C in west central Wisconsin. My public land baits are located in out of the way areas with some sort of inconvenience in the way. Like gated trails, clear cuts, swamps, rivers anything that makes it hard for people access. My bait sites usually have 3 things, reliable water source, dense cover and a natural food source close.
Is it possible to spot and stalk bears in WI or due to the thick woods it's best use bait or dogs? Just due to the limit amount of time I can actually be home for the bear season I don't have the entire year to keep up bait sites and I don't use or know anyone that uses dogs

Is it possible to spot and stalk bears in WI or due to the thick woods it's best use bait or dogs? Just due to the limit amount of time I can actually be home for the bear season I don't have the entire year to keep up bait sites and I don't use or know anyone that uses dogs
It's possible, but difficult, standing corn fields would be the best bet for spot and stalk hunting. Bait or dogs are the most effective way to hunt bears here

It's possible, but difficult, standing corn fields would be the best bet for spot and stalk hunting. Bait or dogs are the most effective way to hunt bears here
What do use as bait since WI has such restricted bear bait regulations? Like what do you use and what do you put them in to keep the deer out of it?

What do use as bait since WI has such restricted bear bait regulations? Like what do you use and what do you put them in to keep the deer out of it?
[/QUOTE

Bear and Vikings fans...lol....chokecherries come due around the start of bear season.

Get hooked up with some hound hunters. You will have a blast. Otherwise by a barrel of cookie dough from bigbeardown.com and get a minimum of three bait sites set up at least a mile from each other.

How many points do you have and what county are you looking at?

Given your situation, I’d definitely go guided. You can find some good guys that will do it for $500-$1,500. A barrel of bait will cost you a couple hundred, gas on top of that, and it starts to add up. Not to mention you’ve been waiting at least 11 years for that tag and probably have to wait close to 20 to pull it again. Let me know if you’re not sold on a guide yet.

Edit to add: saw one of your previous posts about considering getting a guide for pronghorn - as a guy who has shot bear in WI and pronghorn in WY (2 each) - DIY for pronghorn and guided for bear
all the way.

Last edited:
I start out with sugar cones and wafer cookies with used fryer oil, baiting once a week starting around 4th of July weekend. First weekend in August i start going twice a week. Ten days before opener i start every other day and switch my bait to mixed nuts peanut butter and maple syrup mixture.
If you're limited on time i would get a guide, most that I've seen advertised are around 1500$

I’ve never targeted bear before, but this year I plan on starting. I’m in the big woods in NY and have located a lot of bears on public ground around swamps and hardwood mountain tops. We can’t bait here, so I’ll be trying a treestand on swamp edges and around feed such as acorns. Power lines seem to make for a good place to setup with a rifle from my scouting on foot and with game cams.

Maybe these tactics could work for you if you don’t want to put in the money and time for a guide or bait.

Lastly, I’d suggest listening to Clay Newcomb’s Podcast.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back