Caribou Gear Tarp

Winterkill - Rawlins area

wyoelkfan15

Anybody know of a larger than usual winterkill in the Rawlins area? I'm down here for the next couple months for work and have noticed at least a dozen or two of what appear like winter kill antelope.

Snow was deep with extremely cold temps along the Rawlins-I80 corridor. Antelope generally move to areas without much snow but if there is deep, crusty snow for extended areas or they get trapped they often don't make it.

How does the game and fish react to the winter kill? Do they establish the seasons and season tag limits before or after a full understanding of a winter kill?

Did some scouting in the area this weekend, and what I saw jives with the above comments.

How does the game and fish react to the winter kill? Do they establish the seasons and season tag limits before or after a full understanding of a winter kill?

A 10.2% reduction in pronghorn licenses statewide:

There was a 10.2% license quota reduction overall, meaning less licenses were allocated by the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission in April. Adding to the draw difficulty, buck license applications increased by 7.2% and doe/fawn by 11.3%. Hunters who typically pick up pronghorn licenses in the leftover draw saw nearly a 25.8% reduction.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back