Winchester model 70

Chump change...in particular considering the quality of a pre-64 action.

Are you seriously going to start comparing a pre-64 action to an axis?

Ok...well, good luck with that.
I'm not a big fan of that action... actually it's my least favorite to shoot.

I'm cross eye dominate and it's a just a giant pain in the ass. I'd take a Remington 700 or a Tikka any day of the week.

Personal preference, I'd take the axis.

I'm not a big fan of that action... actually it's my least favorite to shoot.

I'm cross eye dominate and it's a just a giant pain in the ass. I'd take a Remington 700 or a Tikka any day of the week.

Personal preference, I'd take the axis.
There's no accounting for a lack of taste...

I have some 700's...chevy 350 of the action world. Not great, but lots of after-market parts.

Its sad what's become "acceptable" in an action and rifle these days.

I have some 700's...chevy 350 of the action world. Not great, but lots of after-market parts.

Sometimes nostalgia is over rated. Just because someone has a dislike for something considered "the holy grail of rifles" in no way means they don't appreciate fine firearms. I think the Pre 64 is over priced and over rated. Had one. Call me a heathen, but I like my 721's better. mtmuley

It’s highly unlikely anyone will ever be thrilled to inherit their father or grandfathers Axis. Never had a pre 64 myself but old guns have soul that isn’t found in a Savage Axis.
I'm pretty sure you are wrong, At least if the father or grandfather meant anything to them and they hunted some together!

Honestly it’s just awkward as hell for me to work the bolt and click the safety.

I shoot a right action pulling the trigger with my left hand, tikka and Remington actions are much smoother.

🤷‍♂️

I swear to the sweet lord baby Jesus if you put another truck stop stock on a rifle, I'm going to say something mean-spirited in public to you. Especially if it's a Whelen.
... I have a model 12 in 16 that would look great with a hogue.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s highly unlikely anyone will ever be thrilled to inherit their father or grandfathers Axis. Never had a pre 64 myself but old guns have soul that isn’t found in a Savage Axis.
Why? I have a shitty beat up old JC Higgins break action .410 I inherited from my Grandfather. Shot it tons as a kid. Probly worth 5 bucks. That crappy old gun has more soul than any other gun I own. And it ain't a pre anything. mtmuley

Please, if you find any of those overrated and overpriced pre-64s at the price you think they are worth, let me know. I'm not sure why you guys think they are overpriced. They seem to be priced about what a new M70 is priced at. All the ones I've played with and owned shot as well as any other stock rifle I've owned/own.

This argument is similar to the guys that think you don't need alpha glass when Vortex or insert other chinese made glass are just as good. You couldn't give me a salvage. As a matter of fact I won one, and gave it way. I felt bad selling it to some one knowing it was made about as well as a toy from Walmart.

Last edited:
Please, if you find any of those overrated and overpriced pre-64s at the price you think they are worth, let me know. I'm not sure why you guys think they are overpriced. They seem to be priced about what a new M70 is priced at. All the ones I've played with and owned shot as well as any other stock rifle I've owned/own.

This argument is similar to the guys that think you don't need alpha glass when Vortex or insert other chinese made glass are just as good. You couldn't give me a salvage. As a matter of face I won one, and gave it way. I felt bad selling it to some one knowing it was made about as well as a toy from Walmart.
I'll let you know. I damn sure don't want one. mtmuley

I have a 700 chambered in .300 RUM I have hunted since 2000. Killed a bull every year with it since. Lots of soul in the rifle. And Winnie did chamber the RUM. Purists can't t handle it. mtmuley
Awesome. I don’t even own a Winchester. I’m just messing with you.

This argument is similar to the guys that think you don't need alpha glass when Vortex or insert other chinese made glass are just as good. You couldn't give me a salvage. As a matter of fact I won one, and gave it way. I felt bad selling it to some one knowing it was made about as well as a toy from Walmart.
You wanna pit a vortex razor against whatever was alpha glass 70 years ago.

I’d take the vortex all day.

Pre-64s are sweet guns, my wife has one in .270. Hopefully we have a right eye dominate kid that can use and appreciate it, it’s just not a good fit for me.

I have a 700 chambered in .300 RUM I have hunted since 2000. Killed a bull every year with it since. Lots of soul in the rifle. And Winnie did chamber the RUM. Purists can't t handle it. mtmuley
I own a model 70 in 300 Ultra. It's my main hunting gun.
I shot out the factory barrel so now it's got a Rock Creek 5R, Williams SS bottom metal, Jewell trigger and a Darcy Ecols Legend Edge McMillan stock.
20180106_153507.jpg

Last edited:
Back