Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Will Trail Cameras become Illegal?

windymtnman

I just read on Facebook that Arizona has banned the use of Game Cameras. The article said that they had two options; #! to ban all use of game cameras, and #2 to establish a season on the use of them. They opted for banning them. The article mentioned Nevada had also banned the use of them.
If this is true, I understand in part the controversy, but also think it's an overreach too. I don't even use a game camera during hunting seasons, but I do enjoy putting them out in the Summer and Winter months for pure enjoyment of seeing the game. I don't see any harm in it the way I deploy them, and it's just harmless recreation.
I also see an issue if you're monitoring trespass or using them for security, and then get accused of illegal use.

Don't get your info from facebook, they banned cellular cameras a while back. They have not banned regular trail cameras. Info link is right on the front page of the dept web site. The comment period runs from Jan 1 to Feb 1.

Last edited:
From what I've seen about this the issue isn't so much about their use as a hunting tool as it is about protecting the resource. Sounds like they are concerned about all the people disturbing and stressing animals at watering tanks during dry periods. Also saw mention of how much complaints they get about people trying to claim areas because they've had a camera there.

NM banned the cams that transmit via satellite, cellular of Wi-Fi last year. Page 21 of proclamation. Most people/hunters are not aware of it. Saw several of these in use on my wife's elk hunt this fall. One can sit at camp, get a pic of bull, then roll out to shoot him. I understand why they want to ban he use of transmittable cams.

Trail cameras are fun I must admit that i run 3-4 in Arizona. There is a VERY good chance that the ban passes and i'll be a little upset but i would probably cast my vote for the ban as well. The animals need a break. With big optics, LR rifles, side by sides, people/bows that can shoot 100+ yards, etc. they could use a win on this one. it's dry enough here in AZ, let the animals get a drink without being run off by the hoards of people walking in and out to check their cameras. Also, probably not a popular opinion on here but AZGFD needs to do something with the amount of OTC deer tags they sell. In many units the deer here are hunted relentlessly from mid-august until January 31st.Something has happened to the deer heard in AZ over the last 5 or so years and it has got to be the amount of OTC archery deer hunters. Many places that used to be good are now nearly devoid of deer. I run my cameras on salt licks on used to always have a steady stream of deer visiting along with some great bucks. now i rarely get any photos of deer, much less mature deer. Gestation periods for deer are almost like clock work. When i see fresh fawns in late august, it is indicative of a deer that has been bred in february/march. Most does i see anymore do not have fawns with them so i would imagine that the amount of pressure our deer receive through the rut is preventing many of the does from being bred.

I listened to the Huntin Fool podcast with two commissioners about this topic.
I was actually a lot more supportive of the ban before the podcast. It’s clear they have their minds made up. It’s also clear they don’t know what the F they’re talking about on the issue whatsoever.
For one, whining about ranchers not liking cameras and atleast twice referring to OUR PUBLIC LAND that ranchers lease as ‘their ranch’ or ‘their land’.

From what everybody says, cameras are a real issue in units 9,12 and 13 and in the portion of 10 not on the Big Bo Ranch. So maybe they should do something about that.
But some dad that lives in Wilcox that likes to go check a camera or two with his kid a few times a year on a spring in a SE Arizona sky island mountain range isn’t hurting anything.

While I don’t think it’s necessary in 3/4 of the state, I would support banning them statewide on AZ GF artificial water sources.
This is brought up on the podcast and they ignorantly poopoo it claiming that it would result in more cameras surrounding the water but not on the water.
Put a 1/4 mile setback on them. I’m pretty sure nobody will be ringing catchments with cameras that have a 45’ range in a circle 1/4 mile from water.

With all that said... if we had to choose between doing nothing and totally banning them, I’d probably choose banning them. I just dont know why everything is always one size fits all

Last edited:
I have seen the abuse of cameras on the Kaibab first hand and it sounds like the problem is just as bad if not worse on the Strip and in elk units like 9 and 10. I think it is definitely out of hand in those areas and probably not much of an issue in the majority of the state. A ban on man made water sources would fix the issue.

I agree about 3/4 of the state not being impacted by trail cameras. Also, 5% of the hunters run 90% of the cameras. A lot of our outfitters almost pride themselves in the amount of cameras they run. Some of them run literally 1000's across the state. Unfortunately the best/easiest way for GF to enforce it is to punish average Joe along with the outfitters.

So I am old enough ( 47) to remember hunting before alot of the electronics came into play. I remember back when the kid from Iowa shot that huge non typical and reading about it. If I remember correctly the farm had cams set up all over and they literally said something to the effect of they knew if the buck walked past camera A, he would walk past camera B usually about 18 hours later... To me that just hit a nerve. I know I know there are a lot of other factors that are needed to shoot big bucks, but that just struck me.

Now I own a couple cams and use them to see what deer are living behind my house ( I can't hunt there but the subdivision owns the land) and my kids and I love to grab the memory card and look. I also love in the spring/summer when the bucks are growing and the velvet pics are cool.

I can also see why the cellular cams are so controversial. To me it is no different than having three buddies stationed all over a ridge/canyon and texting you which way the animal is moving.

Just my 2 cents though.

..farm had cams set up all over and they literally said something to the effect of they knew if the buck walked past camera A, he would walk past camera B usually about 18 hours later.
That's not a hunt ... that's murder by ambush.

... having three buddies stationed all over a ridge/canyon and texting you which way the animal is moving.
Communications like that are not legal to use while hunting in Montana.

Again, cell cams are banned in AZ.

You are allowed to hunt with radios in AZ, which I find surprising. A lot of guys get ‘walked in’ to deer and elk on archery hunts.
That’s a lot less fair chase than having a pic of a coues deer drinking out of a spring a few times.

I’m surprised the commission hasn’t taken that up. Radio ear pieces and directions from your spotter doesn’t bother any ranchers though.

I feel like this is a topic that has come up on here a few times. But sure lets discuss again. I can see the point in areas in Arizona which I have no first hand knowledge of but have seen videos and pictures of lots of cameras on one water hole. All other issues with this aside the extra stress this could potentially be putting on animals just trying to water is cause for concern.

As far as first hand knowledge of camera use, I have no problem with them out of season or something like on a kill to see what comes in. pretty cool footage. I do get annoyed when i find them during season and a couple years ago went out of my way to walk passed one with my bull on my back. I have yet to see any cell phone/satellite communicating ones in the field which is where I draw the line. Personal preference I also pull any of mine prior to season. Perhaps the biggest thing I have gained from cameras is when scouting finding multiple cameras in areas I went in to check out which made the decision quickly to not even hunt the area. IMO if there were that many people scouting I don't want to see what opening day will look like.

Yet ... is that scouting for hunting or merely video surveillance?

And that’s where the line blurs. Is it scouting for hunting if you don’t even have a coues deer tag that year?
Or is it if you have an OTC archery deer tag?
Or is it not if you don’t take your OTC archery deer tag to that unit and hunt?
That’s covered a bit on the podcast too. They did say if you have cameras out not in the year you have a tag, it would be totally fine. But that’s really just two commissioners opinions. That’s not a directive from law enforcement.
And a lot of people are going to think you aren’t supposed to have them out. And a lot of people that do have a tag will still be running them, trying to blend in with those that are just doing ‘general research’.

People pay $280k for the governors elk tag. A3 Trophy Hunts is going to exploit the shit out of any and every loophole to get their client a 440” bull, while the average person with 4 cameras they check 3 times a year is going to stop using them for fun because they respect the law and don’t want to get a citation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back