Will the Presidents Actions lead to hard lines being drawn by hunters?

There are things not open for discussion on HT. Human life and Gods blessing is one of them.

You opened the door with your post: "Thanks. Good law to protect drivers if some goofball gets ran over while protesting. More states should follow."

That would include pro-life protesters. And by the way, I bash human life all the time, and consider it God's curse on the Earth: you know, the species He covenanted against with a rainbow, promising never to flood the world again for the sake of man?

By the way, who died and made you king? Protesting a pipe line; okay to run them over. But all of a sudden you have your panties all up in a knot when *your* sacred cow is getting gored?

If the President's actions lead to hard lines being drawn by hunters, what would those hard lines be? Protests? Litigation, sending an email? The hardest of those lines would be protests and civil disobedience. There are harder lines but I don't think those are being discussed.
So, would the liability limitation be of interest to hunters or are they just going to make sure they don't get on the road to the land being sold to Exon?

Trying to figure out if I can get to Santa Fe this week for the NMWF Public Lands Rally @ the Roundhouse. Legislature is in session.
Last year hundreds of hunters and outdoors folks clogged the building and grounds to protest land changes & such.
Yeah it made the bad traffic in SF worse,but We made a difference and got noticed. Seriously doubt anyone tried to run someone down,if they knew what was in their best interest or saw the weaponry carried outside grounds legally....lol. Lotta CC/OC folks in NM....
This year 100x's the issues are on the table for NM&US outdoors folks this year now.

Hopefully President Trump will take actions which draw hard lines of support from hunters, such as a position of opposition to PLT, actions supporting gun rights and gun safety, or actions to enhance access to public lands. From what I know, I think we can support his pick of Gen Matthis for Secretary of Defense.

When asked about what he thinks about General Mattis being confirmed for Secretary of Defense, Rob O’Neill (the man who killed Bin Laden) said “General Mattis has a bear rug in his home, but it’s not dead…..it’s just afraid to move!”

We as hunters are a very small percentage of the population and as public land hunters we are even smaller. Trump and his cronies don't give a rats @$$ about us. His sons don't either because if there is no public land left to hunt they will just buy their hunts like the rich already do.

We as hunters are a very small percentage of the population and as public land hunters we are even smaller.
That is true, but in Montana public lands are exponentially much more than hunting grounds, especially where "a river runs though it". The outdoor recreation equipment industry and tourism, which are huge drivers of the economy, are dependent on accessible public lands to a critical extent in Montana and elsewhere.

That is true, but in Montana public lands are exponentially much more than hunting grounds, especially where "a river runs though it". The outdoor recreation equipment industry and tourism, which are huge drivers of the economy, are dependent on accessible public lands to a critical extent in Montana and elsewhere.

Absolutely. This makes support from the REI crowd very valuable. I don't care if they didn't help yesterday as long as they do tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Absolutely. This make support from the REI crowd very valuable. I don't care if there didn't help yesterday as long as they do tomorrow.

You bet. Broad-based support for public lands is the only viable way forward.

You bet. Broad-based support for public lands is the only viable way forward.

You Bet.
This should maybe be on the MT. Public Lands Rally post but.....

I really don't identify with a Flyfishing Celebrity, nor a mountain climber. But they will be speaking at the above mentioned event. I'm glad to have 'em showing up.
This is akin to a war - a war on our American public lands heritage. An enemy of my enemy (in this case) is my friend.

This makes support from the REI crowd very valuable. I don't care if they didn't help yesterday as long as they do tomorrow.

Millions of these people, mostly Democrats, are probably wondering where the hell we have been for the last 75 years. They not only helped yesterday; they carried the water for all of us. But I'm sure they are just glad to finally have us on board. Hunting public lands is a tiny fraction of the constituency that has been out their fighting for the environment (and against unbridled exploitation), which make those lands worth fighting for in the first place.

Here I am, violating the notion that you can do anything, so long as you are willing to give another the credit for it. But that is a lesson we could apply also. If public land hunters are successful in their endeavors, they might toss a bone to the other crowd, thank them, and thus create closer bonds of understanding. We might be surprised, shocked even, to find out just how many REI, Sierra Club, Wildlife Federation and other green-eco-liberal-types are gun-toting hunters and archers. Do they have some off-the-wall types? Yeah, but so do hunters. For each side to point at the anecdotal stereotype/extreme is self-defeating, regardless of the merits that might be found in those extremes.

But to think they are johnny-come-lately is a misreading of history. They are probably better people than I am, but I'd be offended if someone were to argue that, in spite of the evidence. They may not contribute to wildlife like we do, but they damn sure have opposed the platform of PLT by doing more to stop it than anyone in the Republican Party.

In talking with one in the know about those groups he stated that some groups would work with the Hunting crowd and that other groups wouldn't work with Hunting Groups no matter what the Cause. John

In talking with one in the know about those groups he stated that some groups would work with the Hunting crowd and that other groups wouldn't work with Hunting Groups no matter what the Cause. John

You can be members / donate to multiple groups. You don't have to try and get other people to acknowledge / cater to your agenda.

If they are headed the same direction you are going, open you wallet, flip them $50, tell them you appreciate them, and you will see them at the finish line.

True, Just wish they would see the big picture and come together. John

John, can you see how "they" might think the "big picture" is the environment, and not the right of a few folks to shoot state property on federal land? They come at the PLT issue from an angle of environmentalism, while hunters come at it from an angle of access to hunt an open environment. The idea that the latter is the big picture is not going to fly.

And you do understand there are probably hunting groups that won't work with certain green groups no matter what the cause? I don't think you'll ever get some folks in bed with each other no matter how common their interests are. You'd think the NRA would be pro public land retention, but I'm not sure where they are. PETA? Nugent? I don't know all the different organizations out there but I bet there are some who really have the hate on.

Some fights take all types. Save the jockeying for power until the enemy is dead, or dying, and it's time to divvy up the spoils. Fighting with them now gives a leg up to the common enemy. If the enemy calls you a green decoy, or tries to paint you as one of your allies that doesnt fit, just own it with a gun in your hand and coon skin cap. Don't let them define you.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back