Will the opener be good?

sweetnectar

Historically I always end up asking myself why did you even go hunting this week? Yet I can never get myself to just stay home. It seems like in the higher elevations the elk are bugling earlier...any truth to this? Do people actually kill elk on the opener of archery?

Higher on the mountain they're bugeling earlier? Its been my experience that the majority of the elk are at about tree line the first week of the season.

I've not heard many bugles the first weekend, but usually always see elk. I killed one the second day of the season and have passed on a couple small bulls on opening day due to it being so hot.

You can't kill em from the couch.

Good luck if you go.

I was close to a number of bulls on last years opener, and heard plenty of bugles. I'll be out there for sure.

You can't expect bulls to be very vocal that early, but the possibility that they will be is definitely there.

We have pretty good luck opening weekend. Lots of bugling in those dark wet north facing pockets. Calling doesn't seem to get them in as much as shaking bushes and trees and alders does. Or just splashing around in a wallow, generally making a ruckus in the woods. Been a little nip in the air too, actually feels like hunting season in the mornings.

cows bring bulls

I think you are all right it is different in all areas if you have hunted that area you know early bugles are good in some and trashing on trees in other work but the number one rule is COWS COWS COWS thats what it is all about. I try to get out the last week in August until opener and just cow call it seems to spark the interest and alittle cold snap and the woods erupt.Lucky for me i hunt where there are more bulls then cows in the bow season so they are moving and looking.

Dang!!! c'mon October!

Attachments

• 066.jpg
    066.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 113
Just ribbing you, assumed your picture was taken in the park.

I just got back from doing a little scouting. I saw some cows...no bull with them. Then I spotted a group of bulls and all of them are hard horned. I also, saw a cow and a calf grazing with a bull hanging close to them. I'm thinking the opener isn't going to be the peak of the rut but it will have elk.

Montanahunting- if you shot the bruiser where it is laying would it be considered island hunting?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back