Will inflation affect your hunts?

Will inflation affect your hunts this fall?

• Not at all, not really an issue for me

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • Not at all I will make sacrifices in other areas

Votes: 32 17.9%
  • A little here and there but not much

Votes: 53 29.6%
  • It will definitely impact the amount and types of hunts

Votes: 37 20.7%

• Total voters
Those gas prices are starting to get a little crazy.
Just curious, has anybody's answers changed over the last 4 days? :D
We just cancelled our anniversary trip in December. Also dropped a fishing trip in may. Cant justify a trip to Kansas when fuel is this much and I can fish here...

Planning on driving from SoCal to Massachusetts in November but if the gas hasn't come down by then I think I'll put it off for another year.

I have two established bear baits that are a 45 minutes one way drive. I’m hoping I can still run them this year. Years past nothing for me to hunt bears 3-5 times a week. His year of I run those baits which I would love to it will be strictly weekends. Gas gets much higher and I’ll consider hunting farmland bears cause that’s about a 10-20 mile round trip

A lot of people are underestimating what fuel prices will do to our economy. It's not just about filling your gas tank to drive 1200 miles to hunt, it's the rising prices of everything else as well due to transporting goods. A lot of people will just do things closer to home, and the vacation and travel industry is going to get hit hard.

A lot of people are underestimating what fuel prices will do to our economy. It's not just about filling your gas tank to drive 1200 miles to hunt, it's the rising prices of everything else as well due to transporting goods. A lot of people will just do things closer to home, and the vacation and travel industry is going to get hit hard.

Exactly. It’s everything that moves by truck, train, or plane. The more $ people spend on fuel the less there is for anything else. Even if someone lives in a city and takes public transport the $ they spend on anything that is shipped affects them too. Like it or not our economy is based on the price of fuel. Whether it drops or rises fast the ripple effects carry a long ways out. A sharp increase like we’ve had recently could create a tsunami that wrecks a lot of things in the near future.

The fed slows inflation by raising interest, which slows borrowing. So let’s say I can’t afford my vehicles, toys etc. there’s gonna be less people out there in the market to buy them, price drops. Ripple effect. I’ve heard a lot of “experts” saying this is so much different than the 08’ housing bubble. Is it really? When the train runs outta steam going uphill it picks up speed going backwards downhill fast.

I’m almost always wrong though so nobody should worry. 🤣

I’ve heard a lot of “experts” saying this is so much different than the 08’ housing bubble. Is it really? When the train runs outta steam going uphill it picks up speed going backwards downhill fast.

it could be the same to 2008 in that "something" causes a recession, a large one. the what, how, and why that precede and catalyze the recession are certainly not going to be the same.

covid + inflation + war + global commodity shortages + supply chain issues doesnt' equal subprime mortgage crisis that earthquakes through the entirety of the banking industry. as i'm sure you understand.

it could be the same to 2008 in that "something" causes a recession, a large one. the what, how, and why that precede and catalyze the recession are certainly not going to be the same.

covid + inflation + war + global commodity shortages + supply chain issues doesnt' equal subprime mortgage crisis that earthquakes through the entirety of the banking industry. as i'm sure you understand.

I agree with the subprime aspect. I just have a bad feeling with how crazy home prices have risen any hiccup could drop values. Holding a $500,000 mortgage on a house that is worth $375,000 isn’t good either. I’m not anywhere close to an expert and economist. Things humming along at a fast pace crash harder than something plodding along.If you blow a tire on a 95 F150 going 25 that blows a tire isn’t a big deal. A NASCAR going 200 is.

I agree with the subprime aspect. I just have a bad feeling with how crazy home prices have risen any hiccup could drop values. Holding a $500,000 mortgage on a house that is worth $375,000 isn’t good either. I’m not anywhere close to an expert and economist. Things humming along at a fast pace crash harder than something plodding along.If you blow a tire on a 95 F150 going 25 that blows a tire isn’t a big deal. A NASCAR going 200 is.

as @SAJ-99 likes to point out (correct me if i'm wrong) there is nothing fundamentally wrong with housing prices, necessarily. we're witnessing classic economics at work - short supply and high demand. everyone focuses on the housing market cause that's what happened last time.

sure something knocks us into a recession and maybe home prices do drop here and there as a result. but that doesn't mean we have a housing market crash. and a lot of people are sounding alarm on a recession... maybe they're wrong, 50/50 chance in my mind basically.

last time a housing crash catalyzed a recession. this time something else catalyzes a recession and likely knocks housing prices for a while. but i'd bet that would in part happen due to something fundamental like demand going off a cliff because of the recession.

who knows man. we could be marching toward S&P records again by July/August for all i know 🤷‍♂️

Personally I have never hunted more than my state and 1 other in a year. 1 extra hunt for deer or elk.
It always cost me in the end no matter how successful I was and could afford it $ wise.

So no it, should not affect me much. Only applied locally and I can walk to public lands on public roads if need be.

I agree as if it hits its going to hurt like 2008, it'll just be something else that causes the hurt.

Driving from Georgia, (nearly standing with my back to florida) and supposing I draw a tag, fuel will certainly be an impediment, as will hotels, and meals, and gear I suspect one hunting trip will cost me quite a bit more than last time
Meals ? I never understood why guys figure meal prices into their hunting trips, like don't you have to eat at home too ? or do you only eat when your on hunting trips ?

Meals ? I never understood why guys figure meal prices into their hunting trips, like don't you have to eat at home too ? or do you only eat when your on hunting trips ?
Fair enough. But most of what I eat is what I've grown between beef and pork and a garden. I'm talking about paying more out of pocket

I agree as if it hits its going to hurt like 2008, it'll just be something else that causes the hurt.
The current housing situation is unsustainable. It simply can not hold and at some point the market will have to correct... When and why??? But it will hurt... The bigger concern is the longer we allow our current path to continue (inflation, supply chain, restriction on domestic oil production, etc.) the higher the cliff.... In the meantime the fed has yet to really do anything, except keep printing money and giving it to big banks. There is a push to move everyone to digital currency and move the US dollar away from a petro basis. Simply put the suffering and hurt is just starting and at some point we end up over the cliff... When it happens??? Maybe we already went over and just have not realized it yet...

Exactly. It’s everything that moves by truck, train, or plane. The more $ people spend on fuel the less there is for anything else. Even if someone lives in a city and takes public transport the $ they spend on anything that is shipped affects them too. Like it or not our economy is based on the price of fuel. Whether it drops or rises fast the ripple effects carry a long ways out. A sharp increase like we’ve had recently could create a tsunami that wrecks a lot of things in the near future.

The fed slows inflation by raising interest, which slows borrowing. So let’s say I can’t afford my vehicles, toys etc. there’s gonna be less people out there in the market to buy them, price drops. Ripple effect. I’ve heard a lot of “experts” saying this is so much different than the 08’ housing bubble. Is it really? When the train runs outta steam going uphill it picks up speed going backwards downhill fast.

I’m almost always wrong though so nobody should worry. 🤣
Fracking changed the economic dynamics of energy. Over a decade ago a strong case was made that any increase in oil prices was at worst a wash and probably a small net positive to the US economy in total because we were producing so much hydrocarbons and thereby employing so many people. That really hasn't changed. All an increase in prices does is changes the allocation. Money that would have discretionary income spend on dinning out going to the movies or a new pair of jeans is now spent on fuel. To the total GDP of the US, it doesn't matter because it all gets counted.

Housing is complicated and there are a lot of factors that affect it. This market is WAY different than 2008, but we tend to anchor on the past negative events pretty hard. The consumer has a much stronger balance sheet now than then. Then banks were loaning money to anyone with a pulse, now lending standards are much tighter. In fact, today banks would like to make more loans but no one is asking for them. Housing prices are sticky because of the same anchoring bias. If we think our house is worth $500k, then we anchor on that number and won't sell for less- until we have too. Any "bursting" or "correction" of whatever bubble people think exists will only happen when people are forced to sell for a price below their expected value. It could certainly happen, but the cause would be completely different. History almost never repeats, but it does rhyme.

Fracking changed the economic dynamics of energy. Over a decade ago a strong case was made that any increase in oil prices was at worst a wash and probably a small net positive to the US economy in total because we were producing so much hydrocarbons and thereby employing so many people. That really hasn't changed. All an increase in prices does is changes the allocation. Money that would have discretionary income spend on dinning out going to the movies or a new pair of jeans is now spent on fuel. To the total GDP of the US, it doesn't matter because it all gets counted.

Housing is complicated and there are a lot of factors that affect it. This market is WAY different than 2008, but we tend to anchor on the past negative events pretty hard. The consumer has a much stronger balance sheet now than then. Then banks were loaning money to anyone with a pulse, now lending standards are much tighter. In fact, today banks would like to make more loans but no one is asking for them. Housing prices are sticky because of the same anchoring bias. If we think our house is worth $500k, then we anchor on that number and won't sell for less- until we have too. Any "bursting" or "correction" of whatever bubble people think exists will only happen when people are forced to sell for a price below their expected value. It could certainly happen, but the cause would be completely different. History almost never repeats, but it does rhyme.
I understand that it will be different. I just don’t put faith in a balance sheet. From the time I put one together and what actually happens could vary 20-40% up or down. Now I know people that do t have inventories of grain or livestock is different. But a good balance sheet and a bad one can be only a few % off.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
applesauce4000
Back