Wildife Task force 90-10, etc.

WY has proposed a law putting this in place and significatly increase non-resident tags. https://www.wyoleg.gov/Legislation/2021/SF0103

Here is who you can talk to about this should you choose to

Affie Ellis08Laramie[email protected](307) 287-9095
Mike Gierau17Teton[email protected](307) 413-0109
Tim Salazar26Fremont[email protected](307) 220-1213
Bill Landen27Natrona[email protected](307) 237-4067
Wendy Schuler15Uinta[email protected](307) 789-1264

They are not on the Task Force. Those are the members of the senate Travel, Recreation, Wildlife & Cultural Resources committee. The Task Force has a feedback form where NR can have their seat at the table: https://sites.google.com/wyo.gov/wy...cffc-5fd4-eb11-a7ad-501ac57b8fa7&ceid=8841701.

WY has proposed a law putting this in place and significatly increase non-resident tags. https://www.wyoleg.gov/Legislation/2021/SF0103

Here is who you can talk to about this should you choose to

Affie Ellis08Laramie[email protected](307) 287-9095
Mike Gierau17Teton[email protected](307) 413-0109
Tim Salazar26Fremont[email protected](307) 220-1213
Bill Landen27Natrona[email protected](307) 237-4067
Wendy Schuler15Uinta[email protected](307) 789-1264

That Bill that died back in April...

Yes, but that is what this task for is attempting to reintroduce
I think you’re crossing wires...task force was given task of grinding out ideas contained in the bill into details and a workable plan that benefit multiple stakeholders, rather than have it be a political vehicle only. Actually, a pretty decent way of going about things. MT could take notes

While I completely understand the frustration with this issue, your points never came with any sort of guarantee that 1) you’d ever get a tag or 2) the rules wouldn’t change along the way.

That’s why I favor random draws, no point scheme to make you think your owed anything and no rules to change.

It’s shitty, but I do agree WY has been very generous with LQ and big three tags to NR over the years. Just because they were very generous doesn’t in any way obligate them to continue this if R are losing opportunities.

WY will fund their G&F just fine, regardless of what happens with this. They actually charge a fairly reasonable R fee rate (looking at you MT) relative to many Rocky Mountain states.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree 100% with Oak's post above in regard to deep concern over "landowner tags or outfitter set asides might be on the table. That is a deal with the devil that would be a non-starter with me."

What are the outfitter's true motives for being in favor of 90/10 for Big 5 tags? It obviously isn't in their best interest having fewer Big 5 clients?

The same thing that happened in New Mexico could easily happen to DIY hunters in Wyo! Unfortunately nonres can't do much more than offer comments to the task force and to legislators. Hopefully this issue rises enough interest and attention that nonres DIY hunters will voice their opinions where they are permitted!

I'd guess the majority of outfitters make most of their income from Elk & Deer hunters. The BIG 5 clients are icing on the cake.
Absolutely. It’s a bargaining chip they are going to use to ask for guaranteed licenses, or something similar.

The truth is, Wyo res may want to watch their backs!

How many landowners and outfitter backed members are on the Task Force? There is always the chance they try to capitalize on tags and steal more tags away from residents than Wyo res would gain from 90/10? There are only a handful of limited tags issued to nonres in the first place and res want to cut that small amount in 1/2! There is likely a lot more going on behind closed doors than what happens at the Task Force meetings?

The reason I mention this is because it could very well happen in Wyo! This same thing happened in Colo several years ago when landowners grouped together and stole their own pool of tags from both residents and nonresidents! Now landowners have a set aside number of tags during the drawing and Colo residents couldn't do anything to stop it!

id bet thats it,,landowner tags like colorado and outfitter tag allocation pool like new mexico !!!they want a trade deal i bet...just leave the system the same,,maybe buzz would be interested in a point building system for the resident side of the draw to make resident opertunity fair??if residents had to buy several years of points to draw,,how would that feel??makes that otc elk licence every year look pretty nice id say.wyoming could make some" cheese",selling points to residents to help there budget.

Wyoming rightfully has the upper hand in this. They can double NR fees and they would still sell a ton of tags and PPs. Hunters are supplying a ridiculous amount of demand, I'd be upset if my state didn't take a reasonable amount of advantage of the situation.
Wyoming could double the tag fees and sell ALL they had to offer.

I do think if Wyoming doubles fees we're going to at least throw rocks at the level where some start to drop out. That's just based off what I see people saying now. Still doubt doubled fees for all NR tags changes much. Won't be enough to throw me off the trail either.

Nobody is twisting your arm to hunt Wyoming. Go elsewhere if it's better and cheaper. It isn't.
You are totally missing the point. Maybe, you don't want to see it.
When NR's fund over 75% of the G&F budget for your state, that makes you welfare recipient. Personally, I was a resident, and loved the outdoors and everything Wyoming had to offer, I'd feel like a deadbeat. If you continually want more tags and more NR money, then.............

You are totally missing the point. Maybe, you don't want to see it.
When NR's fund over 75% of the G&F budget for your state, that makes you welfare recipient. Personally, I was a resident, and loved the outdoors and everything Wyoming had to offer, I'd feel like a deadbeat. If you continually want more tags and more NR money, then.............
Your argument doesn't hold water so long as hunting Wyoming is something you choose to do. It isn't welfare when something is given from both sides. We give the state of Wyoming money, they give us opportunity

Back