Caribou Gear Tarp

Wildife Task force 90-10, etc.

Most western states receive a lot of funding from NR license sales. If that funding is reduced it will have to be made up somewhere. I'm a NR and a guest, the states should do what is best for their residents.
I 100% agree and don’t have any issues with the 90-10 but it will be redirecting pressure it’s not all sunshine and rainbows with it

Just let's not pretend that the folks in Wyoming are "acting for the greater good," either.

QQ
My comment was regarding unit wide landowner tags. I agree completely 90/10 is just a fight for the allocation of available tags and not a greater good of hunting issue.

I get why residents want this 90-10 the unit I apply for it cuts my draw odds in half. My buddy that is a resident that also applies for this tag gets like a 5% bump to his draw odds we figured. Which is great but now when he hunts his general tag it will have much more pressure on it from non residents which is already bad enough without the added pressure. So while I get it this will also have some negative effects on residents
Not true, 1100 NR's spread out over all the general units means exactly zip, in particular if you take into account the 1100 Residents that aren't hunting general areas because they drew a LQ tag.

The years I've drawn a LQ tag was a year I wasn't getting in anyone's way in the general area I normally hunt.

General tag pressure isn't bad at all if you know what you're doing and hunt the entire season. Day 3 is about 60% reduction in pressure, bulls start bugling again, and killing an elk is NO problem.

(You forgot about Colorado.)

Not whining at all, is what it is. I personally like some of the changes being discussed actually- I don’t love what the future of western hunting looks like for NR’s in general, but I will be ok.

Last edited:
Not true, 1100 NR's spread out over all the general units means exactly zip, in particular if you take into account the 1100 Residents that aren't hunting general areas because they drew a LQ tag.
The bolded part is right on the money. If not for the assumed resident offset of 1100 tags I am not sure I would agree that 1100 additional NR's hunting Gen tags would not mean anything. Finding and killing bulls in Wyo Gen areas is not a particularly difficult task but even one truck at the trailhead I want to hunt is one more than I want to see. I would also say that on average, the NR's I encounter while hunting are putting in more effort than your average res hunter. If I had to wait 5 years, pay $2000 for the tag and drive 1,000 miles to get there I suspect I would get after it a bit harder than if I bought my tag at Walmart, for $57 and could hunt 30 minutes from my front door.

The bolded part is right on the money. If not for the assumed resident offset of 1100 tags I am not sure I would agree that 1100 additional NR's hunting Gen tags would not mean anything. Finding and killing bulls in Wyo Gen areas is not a particularly difficult task but even one truck at the trailhead I want to hunt is one more than I want to see. I would also say that on average, the NR's I encounter while hunting are putting in more effort than your average res hunter. If I had to wait 5 years, pay $2000 for the tag and drive 1,000 miles to get there I suspect I would get after it a bit harder than if I bought my tag at Walmart, for $57 and could hunt 30 minutes from my front door.
Totally agree and why I think 7250 needs to stay in place. If not that, then a hard cap on NR general tags not to exceed what we're currently issuing.

If we're going to drop the 7250 cap, then I want 90-100% of the LQ tags going to Resident hunters. There is NO room for both getting rid of 7250, essentially raising the number of NR general tags AND keeping 16% of the LQ elk tags.

Its one or the other, but not both.

Totally agree and why I think 7250 needs to stay in place. If not that, then a hard cap on NR general tags not to exceed what we're currently issuing.

If we're going to drop the 7250 cap, then I want 90-100% of the LQ tags going to Resident hunters. There is NO room for both getting rid of 7250, essentially raising the number of NR general tags AND keeping 16% of the LQ elk tags.

Its one or the other, but not both.
We are speaking the same language. I believe I even said as much to the TF at one of the meetings.

The years I've drawn a LQ tag was a year I wasn't getting in anyone's way in the general area I normally hunt.

General tag pressure isn't bad at all if you know what you're doing and hunt the entire season. Day 3 is about 60% reduction in pressure, bulls start bugling again, and killing an elk is NO problem.
Doesn’t matter to me what you guys decide to do I hope you get something that makes you happy. I just know after talking with a resident that kills very respectable bulls in your general every year he is worried about that 10% more pressure from non residents being added. To him it doesn’t seem worth it since the guys that are paying the money and coming like this are actually applying pressure and not riding at s around. I thought it was a interesting perspective and it doesn’t matter to me I’ll stay my course and see your state in a few years with a damn good tag in my hand

I love how any dissenting opinion that doesn’t support decreasing NR allocation of LQ tags is considered “whining”.
If treeshark is going to claim that transferable tags are the way to go, doesn't it appear odd he's never purchased one?

That's pretty interesting....more interesting he still dabbles in state draws.

Makes no sense...well, actually it does. Not many hunters shell out for transferable landowner tags, governor's tags, etc...they like to talk tough until it's time to cut the check.

Typical.

I'm not disagreeing with you guys, but you are assuming that those 1100 additional residents who drew a LQ tag would have hunted general had they not drawn LQ.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back