Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wildife Task force 90-10, etc.

Anybody know if there will be any NR sheep or moose tags issued this year for those with less than the number of preference points required to draw? My assumption is no. The question presented to WGFD staff at the WSF show this week was mostly met with blank stares.
If area quota = 40
NR total = 4
NR w pp = 3
NR random = 1

If that math is correct, 40 would be minimum quota. My assumption is your assumption is correct. No random NR tags unless quotas increase or they do some creative rounding.

Last edited:
If area quota = 40
NR total = 4
NR w pp = 3
NR random = 1

If that math is correct, 40 would be minimum quota. My assumption is your assumption is correct. No random NR tags unless quotas increase or they do some creative rounding.
Right, that's the point I was trying to make. Unless there are 40+ total tags in a unit, no random tags.

good grief.

after the committee snubbed the special fee increase? what are the odds this thing passes?

i gotta imagine slim to none.

i hope...

edit: just re read previous posts. it died on a technicality, not in committee, or whatever.

so, what's the pulse from folks up close on this passing or not?

So everyone will complain if this happens.

Then one of two things will happen.

The next year the draw odds will stay about the same, with only a few people dropping out, most of whom only had a few points so the odds really won't change.

Or

A lot of people will drop out of the game and a small group with more $ for hunting will see years come off how long it takes to draw tags.

I know which one I expect.

So everyone will complain if this happens.

Then one of two things will happen.

The next year the draw odds will stay about the same, with only a few people dropping out, most of whom only had a few points so the odds really won't change.

Or

A lot of people will drop out of the game and a small group with more $ for hunting will see years come off how long it takes to draw tags.

I know which one I expect.

i really couldn't care less one which one of the two things happens.

i just know i won't be doing much hunting anymore in wyoming for a good number of years with my current budget after 2023 if it does pass. which sucks.

there is plenty of midwest whitetail hunting that could be had for an $800+ wyoming pronghorn or deer tag. #*^@#* that man.

Even as a resident I think those prices seem pretty steep. What's the reasoning behind an antelope license more expensive than deer?

I agree to pay over 1k for an antelope hunt is a lot, BUT if it's a once every 5-10 years thing, which for me it is regardless due to other hunts/nonhunting interests, I'm probably still game. But that's just me.

Edit just to share some thoughts: If you want to go guided in most antelope-having states it's going to run you two thousand on the low end, much more on the high end, depending on a few factors. If the price increases actually prompts real demand destruction and makes what's currently a 12 pt tag a 6 or 7 pt tag then it may be a bargain compared to many alternatives.

I do have to admit though that it is a real shame that for all the handwringing over antelope demand and point creep in Wyoming there is almost no discourse anywhere about the serious decline in antelope population that has happened simultaneously. And I am not innocent there myself.

Last edited:
Working on cashing in WY points for myself and my family ASAP. When points are gone, we will be out of the WY game and leave it to others to chase tags. I am not upset with WY at all. We have a had a good run with NR, DIY hunting, but the prices are getting a little crazy. Hunting continues to change and I find myself thinking about fishing and golfing more.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back