Wildife Task force 90-10, etc.

Those are regular prices, not special draw?
No, these are the special prices that they add on to the regular. There are no proposals to increase the regular fees...yet

Antelope regular: $326. special: $326+$874 $1200 total. Special is 3.68X the cost of a regular license.
Deer regular: $374. special: $374+$826 $1200 total. Special is 3.2X the cost of a regular license.
Elk regular: $692. special: $692+$1258 $1950 total. Special is 2.81X the cost of a regular license.

I don't think many people will stop applying but I think many that were applying for the special draw will now choose the regular draw. Especially for antelope. I bet Elk demand for the special does not drop at all.

i really couldn't care less one which one of the two things happens.

i just know i won't be doing much hunting anymore in wyoming for a good number of years with my current budget after 2023 if it does pass. which sucks.

there is plenty of midwest whitetail hunting that could be had for an $800+ wyoming pronghorn or deer tag. #*^@#* that man.
Leaning toward the same unfortunately I love Wyoming. If the tags were the only thing to have exploded in price it'd be no big deal but when you take into account the price of everyday things increasing lately 2k for a tag and probably another 1k added in for other expenses. I could do a TON more weekend hunting and fishing close to home with that money. Sucks.

We have beat this horse for months and i dont agree with the increase but this isnt new or unexpected, you have been told here it comes for months. I remember a couple years ago when Montana had its big increase in tag fees all this site said was thats ridicous...blah blah blah, never hunting there again... demand has continued to only increase and the vast majority of you are full of :poop: if you say your quiting Wyoming. Even at special prices many of these tags are still bargins in western hunting all things compared. To me this is like those celebrities that said" moving to canada if trump is elected" did any? NO. It sucks and i hope it doesnt pass mainly becuase WYOGA is behind it but i hope it somehow reduces interest in hunting here. Fire up your email machine and complain to the legislature about the WYOGA influence and request disapproval of this bill.

Last edited:
We have beat this horse for months and i dont agree with the increase but this isnt new or unexpected, you have been told here it comes for months. I remember a couple years ago when Montana had its big increase in tag fees all this site said was thats ridicous...blah blah blah, never hunting there again... demand has continued to only increase and the vast majority of you are full of :poop: if you say your quiting wyomimg. Even at special prices many of these tags are still bargins in western hunting all things compaed. To me this is like those celebrities that said" moving to canada if trump is elected" did any? NO. It sucks and i hope it doesnt pass mainly becuase WYOGA is behind it but i hope it somehow reduces interest in hunting here. Fire up your email machine and complain to the legislature about the WYOGA influence and request disapproval of this bill.
Quitting no, going less more than likely.

So i guess more point hoarding...great.

Hope is not a plan, but I sure hope this doesn’t pass. Future generations will not know the joys of chasing antelope.

Good luck with all that extra money, you will need it to pay to have CWD ridden deer culled when a NR would have paid you to shoot them. No deer I have to pitch is worth that kinda money.

i interpreted that bill as a regular draw price increase, glad that's not the case. seemed super odd after it seemed the idea of regular draw price hikes was already nixed. it is indeed worded weird. makes more sense.

i don't think saying something sucks is complaining, more of an observation. if the regular draw was actually increased to those prices i actually wouldn't be hunting wyoming much anymore. it's not a strike or a protest; budgets with a new baby in the house just don't allow for 800 dollar deer and antelope tags. it's just that simple.

i don't know why residents feel the need to put up such a scornful posture about that lol

The initial 2 day meeting of the 18 member task force is in the books. Ground rules were set, introductions were made, and a list of items to address was presented. Within that list, there was a ranking of priority that I didn't get a photo of, but should be available on the website soon.

The list, written notes are mine, I think I captured MOST of the changes:

IMG_20210617_213107389.jpg

IMG_20210617_213537965.jpg

So, the Chairman was voted on and that position went to Rusty Bell, Co-Chairman position went to Josh Coursey.

Right out of the gate today, the top issues were voted on and 90-10 for the "big 5" (moose, sheep, goat, bison, and grizzly) was the top priority. A motion was made to have a recommendation move on 90-10 prior to the upcoming legislative session. That passed with unanimous consent with details to be worked out between now and July.

Testimony was given by several folks, and Sy Gilliland with WOGA went on record in full support of 90-10 in some form for those species. Still debate on making those species once in a life-time in addition to 90-10 and if changes to preference points for those need a change as well.

The task force seems intent on getting a 90-10 bill in front of the legislature for the 2022 session. IMO, I think the recommendation of the task force is going to hold a huge amount of sway with the legislature. The legislature also is really anxious to get this issue behind them. In the meantime, there will be opportunity for the public to comment. I can sense a strong tail-wind picking up momentum to get 90-10 for the big 5 to the legislature...the remaining issues, including 90-10 for deer, elk, pronghorn and some others, will be much more contentious I think and much harder to come to a recommendation.

What was the most disappointing was the poor showing by Resident Sportsmen at the in person meeting. I don't know how many weighed in via zoom. I tried to keep a few people (including Randy) up to date on what was happening yesterday and today.

In the meantime, the task force members are encouraging public comment on all of these issues...and per always, those that show up, get heard. Those that don't...they eat dust.
Thanks!

Let’s see if people can guess who is who in this analogy.

I go to the store and see beef prices are up 300% and I say out loud “dang, that’s expensive, I don’t think we can afford to buy that anymore. That sucks” and I go about my day

The butcher overhears me and stops me to say “you entitled ass of a shopper. Who do you think you are coming in here and complaining about price hikes? There are hundreds of wealthier people behind you who will gladly buy that meat. You think you’re gonna change the world by not buying that meat? Get the hell out of here before I beat your ass silly with with a 10 lb London Broil and then I’ll even throw it in the trash after cause I have hundreds of these I don’t even need.”

Meanwhile I’m like “really I was just saying I’m gonna have to switch to chicken for a while, might have to save beef for special occasions”

Ymmv 🤷🏼‍♂️

I go to the store and see beef prices are up 300% and I say out loud “dang, that’s expensive, I don’t think we can afford to buy that anymore. That sucks” and I go about my day

The butcher overhears me and stops me to say “you entitled ass of a shopper. Who do you think you are coming in here and complaining about price hikes? There are hundreds of wealthier people behind you who will gladly buy that meat. You think you’re gonna change the world by not buying that meat? Get the hell out of here before I beat your ass silly with with a 10 lb London Broil and then I’ll even throw it in the trash after cause I have hundreds of these I don’t even need.”

Meanwhile I’m like “really I was just saying I’m gonna have to switch to chicken for a while, might have to save beef for special occasions”

Ymmv 🤷🏼‍♂️
Obviously you're the ass.

Meanwhile, all those willing to pay are licking their lips thinking about how many more tags they will draw.
Agreed, there is always someone willing to pay way more than we think for silly stuff these days. Especially when it comes to any sport related function it seems. I suspect this will be my third Western state I'll be dropping soon unfortunately after burning my points. My retirement is more important to me financially than hunting.

Ymmv 🤷🏼‍♂️

1674568429210.png

No, it's gotta be your bull.

I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't increase regular prices if these special price increases go through. Blood in the water type of deal. Personally don't know that I would pay that kind of money for a tag in my current financial situation. That's a mortgage payment, that's a side of beef, that's (fill in the blank).

Truly hard to justify that with a young family and future planning. When a tag was "hey cut out a six pack a week and you can afford a tag in Wyoming", OK sure I can do that. But when it hits the "hey skip that car payment, get your car repoed so you can go crawl around and get cactus stuck in your @$$" ehh, maybe time to pick up cross-stitching.

Somebody's got that quote from Doug Duren in their signature about "it's not ours it's just our turn" and I think that really fits not just to land management but also the fees associated with tags. I remember as a kid flipping through magazines seeing the prices for some of the guided elk, caribou, deer, moose, sheep, etc., hunts thinking there's no way I'll ever be able to afford that. The answer was always DIY hunts but if this all gets passed, what's the answer? There'd be no other options for experiencing western big game hunting for my kids. The writing's on the wall already, can't convince these people to hate getting more money.

View attachment 262178

No, it's gotta be your bull.

I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't increase regular prices if these special price increases go through. Blood in the water type of deal. Personally don't know that I would pay that kind of money for a tag in my current financial situation. That's a mortgage payment, that's a side of beef, that's (fill in the blank).

Truly hard to justify that with a young family and future planning. When a tag was "hey cut out a six pack a week and you can afford a tag in Wyoming", OK sure I can do that. But when it hits the "hey skip that car payment, get your car repoed so you can go crawl around and get cactus stuck in your @$$" ehh, maybe time to pick up cross-stitching.

Somebody's got that quote from Doug Duren in their signature about "it's not ours it's just our turn" and I think that really fits not just to land management but also the fees associated with tags. I remember as a kid flipping through magazines seeing the prices for some of the guided elk, caribou, deer, moose, sheep, etc., hunts thinking there's no way I'll ever be able to afford that. The answer was always DIY hunts but if this all gets passed, what's the answer? There'd be no other options for experiencing western big game hunting for my kids. The writing's on the wall already, can't convince these people to hate getting more money.
We are barreling headfirst into a European model of hunting, if states don't think long and hard about managing public lands and wildlife as truly a public resource access will continue to decline.

If I'm being honest, these prices in, the long run, will probably benefit me I will be able to afford it and they might drive down competition.

But I'd rather fight point creep and draw tags 1/3 as often if it means other folks can have the experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree wllm, your grandchildren will only be able to experience Western hunts if they are very wealthy, and I am sorry about that. However, even if the bill gets shot down this time, it's pretty much a done deal within the next few years, so all NRs should adjust their WY plans accordingly. The odd thing is that much of this situation stems from NR complaints about point creep... and the only way to deal with point creep is to reduce demand for NR tags (raising the tag prices). This is actually what the complainers have been requesting for several years now- they just didn't understand the consequences of what they were asking for.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back