Wildife Task force 90-10, etc.

First off, I have no guide license, outfitter license, etc...and never will. I put so much pressure on myself helping my NR friends be successful, it almost takes the fun out of it for me. I would be a complete basket case if I knew hard working clients paying good money went home without filling their tags.

What has changed is that I feel wayyyy more compelled to help Residents in Wyoming than NR's. Its pretty much that simple. Since NR opportunities have dried up in nearly every Western State, its time to stay ahead of the curve in your State or Residence.

Plus, what many don't understand is that with Region deer tags, 7250 assured full price elk tags, any unissued resident licenses in the initial draw dropping to the initial NR draw, and NR's in the same drawing as Residents in the leftover draw...asking for 90-10 isn't that big of a deal.

Even when that was explained, over and over and over again to NR's, they continued to bellyache about how Residents are just greedy, selfish, etc. when in reality, 10% NR allocations are the industry standard in the West.

Same with giving outfitters 5% of the tags, any not drawn by their clients would fall to the NR regular draw.

I don't know, I'm not cracked up about an outfitter set aside and I'm on the fence about giving in to them. But, what if Residents were to get them to agree to tossing the wilderness guide law in exchange for 90-5-5? Make repealing the Wilderness guide law part of a 90-5-5 bill...or maybe a 90-6-4?

Like I said, I'm still on the fence but what I'm hearing from Residents is they want 90% of the tags, NR's hate the wilderness guide law, and outfitters want a set-aside.

How do you recommend fixing all that? Because frankly, I'm tired of hearing all of it mainly from people sitting on their laurels doing nothing to address any of it.
Wow, that’s the first constructive proposal based on compromise in this whole dumpster fire thread. Thanks.

Acknowledging of course that WY residents don’t have to compromise with anyone. Their representatives make the rules.

Last edited:
I just drove from SLC back home and could not believe all of the elk I saw right off the interstate in Utah. Especially in one area, big bull after big bull feeding on cliff bands. Probably 50+ 6 point bulls seen along a 10 mile stretch all staying warm against the red rock and taking advantage of the few areas the sun has hit on the south facing slope. Incredible.

First off, I have no guide license, outfitter license, etc...and never will. I put so much pressure on myself helping my NR friends be successful, it almost takes the fun out of it for me. I would be a complete basket case if I knew hard working clients paying good money went home without filling their tags.

What has changed is that I feel wayyyy more compelled to help Residents in Wyoming than NR's. Its pretty much that simple. Since NR opportunities have dried up in nearly every Western State, its time to stay ahead of the curve in your State or Residence.

Plus, what many don't understand is that with Region deer tags, 7250 assured full price elk tags, any unissued resident licenses in the initial draw dropping to the initial NR draw, and NR's in the same drawing as Residents in the leftover draw...asking for 90-10 isn't that big of a deal.

Even when that was explained, over and over and over again to NR's, they continued to bellyache about how Residents are just greedy, selfish, etc. when in reality, 10% NR allocations are the industry standard in the West.

Same with giving outfitters 5% of the tags, any not drawn by their clients would fall to the NR regular draw.

I don't know, I'm not cracked up about an outfitter set aside and I'm on the fence about giving in to them. But, what if Residents were to get them to agree to tossing the wilderness guide law in exchange for 90-5-5? Make repealing the Wilderness guide law part of a 90-5-5 bill...or maybe a 90-6-4?

Like I said, I'm still on the fence but what I'm hearing from Residents is they want 90% of the tags, NR's hate the wilderness guide law, and outfitters want a set-aside.

How do you recommend fixing all that? Because frankly, I'm tired of hearing all of it mainly from people sitting on their laurels doing nothing to address any of it.
I knew you weren’t a guide. I was being an ass. It did surprise me to see you contemplating in favor of the 90-5-5. It seems with the outfitter community, the more you give, the more they want to try and take. I’ve never whined about the 90-10. If that’s what it takes to help the residents, then so be it. I enjoy WY and have hunted elk there the last 4 years. Always Grateful for what they have to offer.

I am pretty adamant against the any outfitter set aside and despite hearing all the complaining, some name calling and insults from NR. I am still opposed to the idea on every level. However I also want more for the residents. I absolutely do not trust lifting the cap. It will screw us in the end.

I do not want 90/5/5… But a few more years it might be worth being done with the issue. However I am hate the idea of going 90/5/5 because I know that will never be enough and in 3-5 years we will be at the table again looking for different percent.

I do feel as if the power of the outfitters has dwindled and every year it has dwindled. Like Bizz I try to help NR friends and family on hunts and figure if I can help them then there is less demand for guides etc.

In the end WY will end up at 90/10. I damn sure hope it will be a straight 90/10. But I am not sure how many of us residents have the stomach to fight 90/5/5 especially when we get hounded over wanting more opportunity in our home state…

Not to mention the move to 90/10 wuld not be a massive slap on DEA… There would still be the cap for elk, region deer tags stay the same, etc. Pronghorn would be the most affected…
I sure hope you all don't give in and they go straight 90-10. Giving residents a better cut makes sense. Outfitter set asides are what I struggle with as a NR DIY hunter.

I sure hope you all don't give in and they go straight 90-10. Giving residents a better cut makes sense. Outfitter set asides are what I struggle with as a NR DIY hunter.
I would rather not know, but I wonder if under the current rules if a resident could act as a resident guide in a way similar to the wilderness law and then anyone with a resident guide could apply through the draw for a tag… if so it might be a good gig to be a resident guide for a few buddies every year…

I would rather not know, but I wonder if under the current rules if a resident could act as a resident guide in a way similar to the wilderness law and then anyone with a resident guide could apply through the draw for a tag… if so it might be a good gig to be a resident guide for a few buddies every year…
Pretty sure what I read at one point it all had to be approved thru wyoga if it went that way.

@BuzzH did I not read when the 90-5-5 was suggested that wyoga would have the say in what outfitters was able to apply for the tags and got them. I remember having a conversation with a resident about it after reading it. It seemed like me like they wanted their hand in how those tags would be distributed. That if I was to start a guide service I would need their blessing to be able to get those tags. I could be very wrong on that not trying to start a pissing match with you over it.

Short sighted polices and selfish objectives at the cost of future hunters. It’s becoming very difficult to be a NR hunter with quality opportunities. I’m relatively new to western hunting. The prospect of committing 10+ years and thousands to some system just to hope for a small chance at a quality limited entry hunt is not the message we need. How does this help continue the hunting culture? The anti hunting crowd grows louder each year. Many conservation programs rely on hunter support. I’m not saying states don’t have the right to change policies, just seems like giving Buzz a Bison tag is not worth the future impact. With the new special price and lengthening draw odds it could be a slippery slope to the privatization of wildlife. At a minimum you sacrifice hunter recruitment. The average resident’s gain may be short lived at high longterm cost to the future of the American hunter.

Short sighted polices and selfish objectives at the cost of future hunters. It’s becoming very difficult to be a NR hunter with quality opportunities. I’m relatively new to western hunting. The prospect of committing 10+ years and thousands to some system just to hope for a small chance at a quality limited entry hunt is not the message we need. How does this help continue the hunting culture? The anti hunting crowd grows louder each year. Many conservation programs rely on hunter support. I’m not saying states don’t have the right to change policies, just seems like giving Buzz a Bison tag is not worth the future impact. With the new special price and lengthening draw odds it could be a slippery slope to the privatization of wildlife. At a minimum you sacrifice hunter recruitment. The average resident’s gain may be short lived at high longterm cost to the future of the American hunter.
Hunter recruitment is fine. If anything to many have decided to go west. Hopefully people keep their word and drop out or never start for the reasons you cited.

Buzz burner account to justify selling out to 90-5-5 😉

Lame joke aside, I see outfitter welfare as an existential threat to the NAM. I’m not sure if whiny, entitled NR’s are too, and to what degree. A dose of humility and gratitude is good for everyone.

FWIW I’ve been urging WY legislators for years to pass 90-10 DEA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back