NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Wild Within on Travel Channel

Yey,i thought it was a decent show!! damn especially at this time of the year i wish i was doin it rite now ,hell yey i would like to see an hour long show like oyoa and different shows 5 days a week!! better get busy recuiting help!! I'm available !!

I thought it was done very well. I really appreciated the way he explained how he felt after killing the deer, and made no apologies about it. Very well put without going over the top. He expressed it the way I have always wanted to without knowing how to say it. I too would like to see OYOA go to a full hour, I think you could pull it off and still keep it very interesting and informative, Randy.

I thought it was pretty good. It even showed his rifle misfiring twice. (Probably frozen water in the bolt? Congealed grease?) I was curious as they did not have tape, balloons or condoms over their barrels while carrying in the sling upright in the rain. Or is that not really needed? I've always done it....

It was his brother's deer that was shot poorly - but I liked how he talked about that with no excuses.

Last edited:
I thought the Wild Within was pretty good. I liked that he said he kills animals, he does not harvest them. He gave a good amount of information. I think hunting shows should be made for hunters to watch and not be sanitized for non-hunters. Real life is not Disney. We hunters should be proud of what we enjoy doing, I know I am. My father, my son and I spend more time hunting together than anything else. As for the hour long show idea, I think that would be great if done properly. I personally don't watch hunting shows to see how big of a trophy the host or his friends can kill. I watch them to get information on other areas and how to hunt other species. I watch every show I can about elk hunting and hunting in the west. I have been hunting whitetailed deer for about 40 of my 48 years and don't watch many shows about hunting them. I also do not care for all this quality deer management. Everyone is obsessed with getting the biggest antlers. They also seem to want to make it more of a competition sport. Hunting should never be just about big antlers, and it is not a competition. We should help each other and just have a good time. And if you need help with a show in North Carolina I would be happy to help, just don't show me on camera.

I thought it was a pretty good show, and will continue to watch. I appreciate the fact that he has chosen a natural lifestyle as best he can, just as we do, and most of us here I'm sure. Also that he makes no apologies for how he provides for his family. I like the conviction. I like to say that "there's no salmonella in my free range chicken." :)

Big Fin, I would definitely watch an hour program of yours. Like the others have said, I'd like more info on tag selection, process, trip preparation, equipment, etc. A neat addition might also be cooking up some of the bounty. Keep up the great work! It's much appreciated.

saw the 2nd half of the show. Liked it. Nice realistic, non trophy hunting, perspective. And a real, expressed appreciation for the meat and sharing it with folks.

Saw it myself and thought it was a pretty good show.The fella seems very firm in what he beleaves.Just like OYOA I liked them making the show not look like a bunch dumb rednecks just out to kill something.The only thing I did not understand is why it took them 7hrs to climb to 1800'.Also 1hr of OYOA would be great! Maybe you could talk the SPC into letting you do atleast 1 eposode of a 1hr special.

Randy,
This guy nailed it, great show! I will be programming this one. I have been seeing the promo for it and watched it to see if it was any good. Great show!

Hell Yeah! I want an hour of your show!!!!!

B

Caught the re-airing last night. Loved it. Made no apologies for what they did and showed their mistakes. Can't wait to see next week's episode on The Breaks.

Would anyone watch an hour long hunting show if you could add a lot more information, tip, ideas, etc?

Unfortunately, I don't get outdoor channel, but if I did, I would love to have the additional tips and planning. As somebody who lives in MN and has not hunted out west much at all, I would really benefit from this information. Maybe people who live out west and hunt there all the time wouldn't benefit from it as much as I would, but I still think they could learn something, especially if they are thinking about trying a new area.
If they don't really like to put this on TV, perhaps you could make an online episode or make a separate DVD giving more tips.

I wonder if the Travel Channels choice to air this show is due to the 'Green' food movement? I do think that the show will be exposed to different segments of society than those aired on typical hunting channels, which isn't a bad thing IMO.

I also caught it on my Tivo Trapline. Everything about it was good, his analogy of how some people rationalize not seeing how their meat gets to them was good, not in your face, just common sense. I will definitely watch this show.

I liked the show. Being a "meat hunter", he's the perfect person to have a show in a crossover market like Travel. I agreed with most of what he said. I just appreciate that OYOA puts in extra time to kill bigger animals. He shot the first legal deer he could and with little concern of safety. I'm just knit picking. I will definately be recording it.
I would love for OYOA to be 1 hour. I watch other things that aren't near as good for an hour. There needs to be an informative hour long show. After all, you have to be out of the ordinary to be extraordinary. Good luck, I hope you can sell the idea to the network.

I watched the show last night and have a generally good feeling about it, but it was overly dramatic and has a kind of flimsy premise (The freezer's getting low, we need to fly out to Alaska and shoot a deer). I see nothing wrong with going to Alaska to hunt or for whatever other reason, especially if you've got a cabin on Prince of Wales island. If you want meat, there's nothing wrong with upstate New York for hunting and fishing. Most of the drama was created for TV and is part of the reality show mindset. They both had full packs when they were climbing the mountain and the packs didn't appear to be any more full when they were coming down the mountain with 60 pounds of meat each. I will be watching the show and hope that it turns out well. The field dressing and butchering sequence was pretty sanitized, but still had people commenting about how they almost threw up. I noticed that he was using a Havalon Piranta.

I liked the show, will agree that some of it was overly dramatized, but that's gonna happen. I liked that he didn't pull any punches regarding "killing animals". I also liked how he discussed how many of the general populace has become detached from just where their meat comes from, and by doing so that somehow makes it "better". I thought it was a show much like OYOA in that it was straight forward and didn't shy away from what could be construed as controversial statements.

And in answer to a one hour hunting show, if it was OYOA, you danged right I'd watch it.

Much like OYOA, The Wild Within held my interest the entire show. It was actually kinda nice to not see a stitch of camo during the entire show. I always wear camo in the field but wonder how much of a benefit it actually has. I even liked the idea of killing two small bucks as there are few shows that would air that.
Yes, I think OYOA should be an hour long. I'm always dissapointed to watch the credits at the end of the show because I have to wait for the next episode.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back