Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wife Scores on First Game Animal

BigHornRam

My wife filled her Montana Bighorn ewe tag this weekend. She had a great hunt and may have caught a perminant case of "sheep fever". She practiced almost weekly this past summer with her rifle to prepare for this hunt. It was also fun for me to work up loads for her 257 Roberts and practicing with her. I'll give the details of the hunt later when I have more time and a picture or two when we shoot up the roll of film.

Sweet Paul. Looking forward to seeing pics of the sheep...and of course your wife.;)

Paul,

Congrats to the better half!

The 257 Bob has been a favorite of mine for years. Great little round.

Post some pics when available.
Rich

Congrats BHR to you and the Mrs!! Geezers adding to the point totals one skin head at a time LOL hump Looking forward to the pics--still a film man eh? ....you MUST be old ;)

C'mon Harley, you're up next!!

Here's the story.

Wife and I head out for a weekend hunt Friday after work with the tent trailer and pooches. While driving past the hunting area looking for a camp ground we saw several groups of ewes and lambs along the road. We settled on the Grizzly Creek camp ground, a few miles past where we planned to hunt. Fix dinner and go to bed.

In the middle of the night we hear a large crash....sounds like the "bearproof" dumpster 50 yards away. Morning comes and we do find out it was bear tipping over the dumpster. We clean up the garbage and it was all the both of us could do to tip it back up. Must be a good size bear!

We head out to sheep hunt at first light and find about 50 sheep bedded down 100yards from the road. Diane didn't want to shoot a sheep right off the road, so we go check out another area. See nothing and come back to find the sheep feeding across the road on private land now. Up above we spot some sheep in a rock chute about 800 feet above the road and decide to go after them.

We park the truck along a side road, hiked up over the ridge towards where we last seen them. Sure enough the sheep were still there within 100 yards, but long story short, she never got a shot she felt comfortable with.

We went back to camp for lunch, and a forest service guy came through the camp ground. We told him about the bear. He said another nearby camp ground had it's dumpster tipped over as well. He cleaned out the garbage and wired it shut.

That afternoon it was hard to find sheep other than ones right along the road. We did try to go after 3 ewes that were on the move, but never could catch up. When we got back to the truck there was a ewe and a lamb feeding 25 yards away laughing at us!

Had dinner and went to bed. Bear came back at 10:30 PM and tipped the dumpster over again. I went out to scare him off, but didn't get a chance to see even see him.

Next morning we spotted a band of ewes and lambs bedded in the rocks that got up to feed. We moved around and set up in front of them. After awhile they feed into us at bow range. Still Diane could not get a shot she was comfortable with. She wanted to get a dry ewe, so I was constantly checking each ewes udder to let her know which ones would be ok to take. Trees and brush in the way, bad angle, sheep behind sheep, ewe with lamb, it was hard to get a shot even at that close range.

So we got to spend about 2 hours trailing them up the steep heavily timbered north slope they were on, watching them feed and the lambs play. Probably turned out to be one of the most memerable parts of the hunt.

Finaly Diane did get a 40 yard shot and made good on it. Pictures to come soon.

BHR, Your holding out the best Part, somewhere there are going to be Flip Flops in this story. All Sheep Hunters wear them! WTG on the sheep! John

ewe.jpg

C'mon Paul....were gonna have to get you into this digital century! ;)
Congrats again to the Mrs.!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back