wife gave me the green light, but...

Look into Colorado unit 62 for elk. It is some of the tamest country for elk that you can find. It will be crowded though for that very reason.

I know the perfect hunt and location for you and your dads in a great area for elk that will fill all your needs. Private message me if you'd like to hear more.

For my two cents, the areas of Colorado I've seen around me are moderately difficult to get around in. Not only are you dealing with some steep country, but the altitude is a factor for those not accustomed to it.
Given the cost of a non resident tag, I'd do some serious soul searching about where you go and what your plans are. I sympathize with the desire factors to hunt Elk though, as I was a non resident hunter until I retired and moved to Colorado. So, I actually enjoy trying to help others with their hunts, even if it amounts to packing one out on the horses/mule sometime.

Take the FIL and your dad! Once you get to camp, hunt in your own direction and they can hunt at their own pace. My dad mostly goofs around and is camp cook / wood gatherer. He pulls his weight in camp and loves being up there. The memories will last you a lifetime! Go elk! Buy points and go pronghorn! Do both!

Take the FIL and your dad! Once you get to camp, hunt in your own direction and they can hunt at their own pace. My dad mostly goofs around and is camp cook / wood gatherer. He pulls his weight in camp and loves being up there. The memories will last you a lifetime! Go elk! Buy points and go pronghorn! Do both!

You will have plenty of time to go on really tough hunts later on. Since they are getting up there in age make your memories while you can.
What I wouldn't give to have one more hunt with my dad.

From my years of elk hunting experience, which I feel have been better than normal in my success rate, I find the harder you hunt, such as going farther back away from pressure or up the slopes into the bad arsed black timber, then the more likely you are to succeed, however, that is only if you place the marker of success of taking an animal. You could still be successful coming to a rugged place like the Rockies here in Colorado, hunt easier trails and territories, and walk away feeling happy if you enjoy being in the mountains with your good company. Identify what you really are looking for to yourself, and you can ALWAYS look as a hunt where you did not tag an animal as successful if you learn something about the animal and the territory they call home. Well, that's my 2 cents!

Echo that thought. In my time with my pops, we were only successful two times out of 12 or so times before he passed, but I have some of the best memories from those hunts. I would recommend going on that hunt with the expectation you will build some solid memories with the possibility of getting some full freezers. I also like the idea of finding a unit where you can have both deer and elk tags so you can split up during the day if necessary but still share the experience. If your main goal is to fill the freezer, that elk hunt may not be the best idea...

DOn't underestimate the value of finding a relatively tame spot where elk will pass through and just sitting for hours. I hunted a ridge this year for several days. There was fresh sign everywhere and bugling bulls every morning. All I saw with my eyes was a cow's butt as she was running away. I ran into an old guy who literally sat in the same place for hours, on the same ridge, while his family hiked around looking for elk. He watched elk feed calmly, above and below him in thick timber. The area is known for being a tough wilderness hunt, but these elk were less than half a mile from a road. I passed through the same spot multiple times. If I would've had the patience to sit still for a few hours, I'd have filled my tag. Taking these guys on an elk hunt and getting an animal is not an unrealistic goal as long as they're in good shape for their age.

pronghorn would be a GREAT starter hunt; much, much easier than elk, even than deer, for many units, especially in Wyoming. its fun but in a different way, a less strenuous way. More driving, less hiking. Less glassing too, because often antelope are standing around and quite visible. Dryer and more open areas than most elk hunts. Still scenic, but not necessarily mountainous. And, despite what you may hear, antelope are delicious when handled properly. Could you do deer and antelope on the same trip? I often see them together.

After thinking long and hard, i ended up choosing WY antelope for 2017. Bought a preference point for each of them at the end of last year so we can have a slight advantage of unit selection over those who have no points. My hope is that the western hunt bug will get to both of them so they start getting in shape to do less terrain friendly hunts in upcoming years. I do appreciate evrryones input here. I never considered antelope, and it turned out to be the choice i made.

Antelope is delicious meat. And, unlike elk hunting, you're damn near guaranteed to at least pull the trigger.

You will have a great hunt!! Ignore anyone who says you can't eat an antelope and that hunting them is boring with long shots. In my experience it's the complete opposite in every regard. Take care of an antelope properly and you will not find a better tasting animal. I've got antelope and elk in my freezer. Both are excellent but I've yet to have someone choose the elk in a head to head taste test. You just can't beat antelope for eating! Since you see so many animals, you never have a chance to get bored, and if you're taking long shots, that's your own problem. People shoot them with bows all the time. There is no reason you can't get within good shooting range if you try.

I love elk hunting more than anything, but I think you made a good choice. Use the extra year to get another elk point in Wyoming, and have an awesome trip chasing antelope in the meantime. Buy some doe tags because you'll be sad when that last antelope steak is gone!

Merry Christmas!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back