WI end tomorrow, not a Togie hunt.(public)

Fairly quiet morning around here, didn't hear my 10th gun shot till 730.
I seen 4 antlerless deer and 2 bucks, one was a small fork and the other a 2 year old 8pt. Both got a pass from me.
One of my cousins shot a basket 8 and my brother shot a big buck, he hasn't went to look for yet. If it's the buck i think it is, it should be a 150 plus inch deer. Hopefully I'll have pics of it to post later today.
Cousins basket 8FB_IMG_1700325330830.jpg

Must be my year of just seeing stuff.
Our Co Elk / MD, we see Moose. My WI deer:
Just getting light, see movement, light colored, figured tails. Then I see a silhouette, deer head then body. Nice big doe, scope on her, then that light color catches my eye. Scope down, let mom go with her white yearling. Got pics & video.

No sightings this weekend. I'm not surprised, though, as it seems like I'm really relying on somebody chasing something past us in our yard. Didn't hear very much shooting, but I don't really have a baseline to know what "normal" is here.

When I was out Saturday, I didn't see too many hunters out and about. There were many more hunters on Sunday, and many of them appeared to be in the process of doing drives.

I did see what appeared to be a 170s typical 6x6 in the back of a truck a couple miles from my house on Sunday. The body looked like a runt on it, so maybe that was making the antlers look bigger. I seriously had to look to make sure it wasn't a caped out hide/head in there....

I'll head out again in muzzy season Lord willing.

yeah, definitely won't be a togie hunt, cause y'all will be more successful public than a goon like me was on primo private ground ;)

yeah, definitely won't be a togie hunt, cause y'all will be more successful public than a goon like me was on primo private ground ;)
Lol, I have always hunted the same general area. I move within about a one square mile area, don't get bored that way.
Up on a ridge and once it got light I noticed a ladder stand in the valley(illegal).
I see the guy trying to get to it until he sees me.
Besides the white fawn, that's the excitement.
Lots of gunshots opening day, not so for Sunday

I thought I was at a rifle range on Saturday morning. I heard tons of gun fire from 6:30 am till a little after 9am. I don't think 5 min went by where I didn't hear a shot. It was crazy, and very few single shots.

When I went back out in the afternoon I bumped 10 deer at 3pm within 20 yards of my stand. My daughter shot her buck at 165 yards out of a tree stand by 4pm and is all tagged out.
I saw more deer on opening day this year than I have in past several years. Most everyone I have spoken to from central to northern WI had a very slow weekend. It looks like many deer were harvested in the south this past weekend however based on all the lines at the various butchers.

With all the shooting I heard, it’s hard to believe there may still be any deer left in the woods! Haven’t seen any since Saturday and all of those were very young! Hoping Big Hank or even his little brother is somewhere waiting for me!

Can someone translate Togie for me?

I thought I was at a rifle range on Saturday morning. I heard tons of gun fire from 6:30 am till a little after 9am. I don't think 5 min went by where I didn't hear a shot. It was crazy, and very few single shots.

When I went back out in the afternoon I bumped 10 deer at 3pm within 20 yards of my stand. My daughter shot her buck at 165 yards out of a tree stand by 4pm and is all tagged out.
I saw more deer on opening day this year than I have in past several years. Most everyone I have spoken to from central to northern WI had a very slow weekend. It looks like many deer were harvested in the south this past weekend however based on all the lines at the various butchers.
The last few years news/DNR reports are that license sales are down. I see so many new hunters and if there were such a study (probably is,missed it), I think it would reveal that the large deer camps of the north woods are being replaced with the easy travel hunts in the south-east. Don't know how long it will last as most probably don't have the patience to hunt the nocturnal deer.

Ok, not much to write as far as success, but saw deer. The only good shot was the doe with the white fawn. Hope she made it.
Saw a couple of bucks, no shots.
Had a hunter circling my area, Fri evening he came out at 4 pm, walked within 100 yds on 3 sides of me. I think it was the guy with the ladder stand. I should have sat in it, really pissed him off.
Thats Southeast Wisconsin Public😒

Still have tonight, and snow for Sun morn. Then ML season.

Yeah, snow tomorrow am will be cool if it happens.

Going out tracking/still-hunting with a buddy near home, it’s a last-day tradition and always a good time.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back