WI end tomorrow, not a Togie hunt.(public)

tillicant

SE WI public land hunter. My typical opening morning:
Up at my usual time, 3-3:30, get my workout in, also my coffee. My shop is fairly close to my house & on the way to my hunting area, so why not stop on the way. This is sometimes a mistake as I get tied up in work stuff(usually not on opening day).
Head out to one of my usual spots, count the cars on the way out,(its a zoo). My wife usually hunts with me but she quit WI due to the idiotic behavior of (some) hunters.
We hunt the Kettle Morain State Forrest, on a topo it looks like a decent size but just when you think you are fairly remote, in comes a mountain bike or a couple hikers. Trails everywhere.
Even with the trails, the first couple hours of opening day are usually good. By good I mean the excitement is there, hopefully the deer will get kicked around, mostly nocturnal.
This year, due to our warm weather(I think), the rut is going strong. I will spend a couple of hours a day hunting. The benefit / drawback of hunting close to work.
Looking foreword to ML season, right after.

I'll be sitting in the yard with my two oldest sons hoping other hunters get something to move past us. This will be my first WI hunt. If unsuccessful, I am hoping to get out with the muzzy on some semi-nearby public later.

Michigan opener was November 15th (as usual). Sounded like WW3 with the area I hunt being ground zero.
Good luck Cheeseheads!

You very well may be hunting some of the hardest public land in WI to shoot a deer!
Sure seems like it. I've been at it long enough, they're good at hiding. Had a doe once, came over a knoll & she was laying legs flat out to the sides and head extended. I had a doe tag but couldn't shoot, actually I thought she was dead,lol.

I too will be in the Southern Unit, but I won't hunt until Sunday or Monday. I'll probably curse your car as more competition in the woods (and I'd expect you to do the same), but know that deep down I'm rooting for you!

Best of luck!

Good luck, ‘Sconnies! I’ll be in my usual stand, hopefully shortly after 5. It’ll be a much different year for our group. We lost two of our hunting party this year, so it’ll be pretty melancholy at the Shack.
That said, had a few nice bucks running around, so hopefully I hit the big buck lottery.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back