Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

why?

Even though it sucks that they require you to buy a hunting license when all you want to do is buy a point, it does "weed" out everyone from doing it. Unfortunately it is getting more and more pricey to hunt every year but if you prioritize it like I do you can afford it. Some people spend $2000+ for a 5-7 day trip on a beach or cruise ship. I prefer to spend that much on multiple hunts out west each year because it is my passion. When I actually do draw an AZ elk or NV elk I expect it to be a limited quota limited pressure type of hunt because I have paid the money and waited in line for multiple years to have the opportunity at such a hunt. If they allowed everyone to just buy a point for $7.50 there is NO way these states would provide the quality of hunts that are available right now. Everyone would be racking up points and quality hunts that usually take 4-7 years to draw would end up being 14-15 years....I'm good with how it is now

Even though it sucks that they require you to buy a hunting license when all you want to do is buy a point, it does "weed" out everyone from doing it. Unfortunately it is getting more and more pricey to hunt every year but if you prioritize it like I do you can afford it. Some people spend $2000+ for a 5-7 day trip on a beach or cruise ship. I prefer to spend that much on multiple hunts out west each year because it is my passion. When I actually do draw an AZ elk or NV elk I expect it to be a limited quota limited pressure type of hunt because I have paid the money and waited in line for multiple years to have the opportunity at such a hunt. If they allowed everyone to just buy a point for $7.50 there is NO way these states would provide the quality of hunts that are available right now. Everyone would be racking up points and quality hunts that usually take 4-7 years to draw would end up being 14-15 years....I'm good with how it is now

It is in the best interest of the hunting community to have as many people to be able to participate in a hunt each year. Whether that is hunting rabbits, doves, elk or wild pigs. At some point, a vote will be taken that can impact our ability to hunt and we lose that vote every time if most folks are not hunters, do not know a hunter, and think guns are pure evil.

I have heard a few people advocate for having all big game tags auctioned on eBay and let the wealthy end up hunting since this would maximize the value of the tags. This is true but will also make big game hunting the activity of the elite and this goes against the N.A. Model for wildlife management. How many current volunteers would show up to help improve habitat and buy tickets to wildlife fundraising dinners if they felt they would never get another big game tag ever again?

Is short-sighted to cheer my tag draw odds going up because a needless financial roadblock is in place. Charge a fair fee. Raise it when needed. I see no reason why Wyoming or Montana or New Mexico needs full tag fee up front when 99% of those funds are going to be refunded on sheep applications. We are cutting off our noses to spite our face.

It is in the best interest of the hunting community to have as many people to be able to participate in a hunt each year.

That's what MT, WY, CO and ID are for. Plenty of opportunity to hunt each year with OTC or easily obtainable tags.

i want to start accumulating points in different states, but why do they make u buy a hunting license if all u want is a point. i cant afford to buy all these licenses. are there any states u dont have to buy a license for a point?

Because they can. Law of supply and demand. It took me several years to accept it. Those are the rules of the sandbox we play in.

Because they can. Law of supply and demand. It took me several years to accept it. Those are the rules of the sandbox we play in.

I gave up playing the point game 2 years ago. I'd rather spend my money on OTC tags, but I'm not much of a trophy hunter.

Clarification: I don't apply for bison in that October application period. If you apply in October then it'll be 3 licenses every 4 years.

Bottom line: When AZ raised the license & point fees, but went to the 365-days-from-date-of-purchase license they actually saved us money over the long run. So tell your wives that when they see the credit card charges from the state of AZ.

I just looked at my AZ license from last year, which was purchased on 2/8/2013, it notes it was valid from 1/1/2013 - 12/31/2013. When I try and purchase a bonus point and it asks me for my license number it notes that it is invalid.

I just looked at my AZ license from last year, which was purchased on 2/8/2013, it notes it was valid from 1/1/2013 - 12/31/2013. When I try and purchase a bonus point and it asks me for my license number it notes that it is invalid.

Same here. Is there something we are missing?

2014 LICENSES NOW AVAILABLE ONLINE

Arizona's new 2014 hunting and fishing licenses can now be purchased online.

NEW 2014 LICENSE AND FEE STRUCTURE effective January 1, 2014

I think beginning this year (2014) you can stagger your license purchase to cover a multiple period application time frame.

Same here. Is there something we are missing?

I went to buy another license and it gives me the option of selecting dates for validity. It notes it must be valid for a permit/bonus point app.

So my question is, based on the rules, I can set it for tomorrow and next year I can buy my point/apply 364 days from now because I am not required to purchase in consecutive years? Then in year 3 I will need to get the license and do this process again?

I went to buy another license and it gives me the option of selecting dates for validity. It notes it must be valid for a permit/bonus point app.

So my question is, based on the rules, I can set it for tomorrow and next year I can buy my point/apply 364 days from now because I am not required to purchase in consecutive years? Then in year 3 I will need to get the license and do this process again?

Yeah, that's my understanding. The tricky part is that they throw that deer/sheep draw in there in the summer so that's where you would have to stagger them to where you would end up having to buy a license 2 out of 3 years to apply for those.

If you just want to do elk/antelope it looks like it would be like Utah and you would just have to buy a license every other year.

Licenses are now valid for one year rather than just for the calendar year. If you buy your license from a dealer or through the online draw process, your start date (the date your license becomes valid) will be your date of purchase. If you buy your license through the paper draw application process, your start date will be the published deadline date for that draw. If you buy your license separately at www.azgfd.gov/eservices/licenses.shtml or from a Game and Fish office, you can name your own start date up to 60 days beyond the date you purchase it, and it will be valid for one year from that date. Please note that if you are planning to apply for the 2014 elk/pronghorn draw, make sure you choose a start date that is no later than the draw deadline day (Feb. 11, 2014), as you must have a valid license as of that date to be eligible for the draw.

Yeah, that's my understanding. The tricky part is that they throw that deer/sheep draw in there in the summer so that's where you would have to stagger them to where you would end up having to buy a license 2 out of 3 years to apply for those.

If you just want to do elk/antelope it looks like it would be like Utah and you would just have to buy a license every other year.

Yep. Starting this year, that is how I believe it works. So... thanks, Arizona!

Yep. Starting this year, that is how I believe it works. So... thanks, Arizona!

Are you sure that you don't have to have a valid license for the date of the drawing? I asked someone about this once and they said this was the case, so you would need to buy a license every year.

That's my understanding for those applying points only. Perhaps I should dig a little deeper and ask that question specifically.

i want to start accumulating points in different states, but why do they make u buy a hunting license if all u want is a point. i cant afford to buy all these licenses. are there any states u dont have to buy a license for a point?

Why - b/c they can! Not sure which do and which do not, but tags are pricey. Period. Why do you want to accumulate points in a bunch of states and not want to pay for it?

AZ just changed to a 365-day license from the date of purchase. So if you apply for your elk & antelope on Feb 10, 2014, for example, you won't have to buy your next license until the deer/sheep deadline on June 10, 2015, let's say. Then... You'll be able get in all your 2016 applications without buying an AZ hunting license. BOOM!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is a big problem with trying to do this. To apply in a draw, your license has to be valid on the draw deadline, not when you apply. Even if you wait until deadline day to apply, your license will expire at midnight on the day before the deadline of the next years drawing. This means that you can buy a license during the elk/pronghorn draw, and apply for deer, sheep, etc later in the year on that same license, but to apply in the next years elk/pronghorn draw you will need a new license.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is a big problem with trying to do this. To apply in a draw, your license has to be valid on the draw deadline, not when you apply. Even if you wait until deadline day to apply, your license will expire at midnight on the day before the deadline of the next years drawing. This means that you can buy a license during the elk/pronghorn draw, and apply for deer, sheep, etc later in the year on that same license, but to apply in the next years elk/pronghorn draw you will need a new license.

This is the same if you are just buying points?

If you're applying for points only for sheep and pronghrn as a NR with less than around 20 points with the expectation of drawing in the max point pool....you may as well not put in at all.

The only way about 99% of NR's are ever going to draw those species is to luck into a random tag....and that means putting in for the tag you want.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back