Caribou Gear

Why my pack sucks: Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Exo, Seek, Mystery Ranch, Kuiu, etc.

Please select either the first or second choice, then select your current pack brand.

• I have tried multiple hunting brands

Votes: 308 50.2%
  • I have used just one hunting brand

Votes: 148 24.1%
  • Stone Glacier

Votes: 88 14.3%
  • Exo

Votes: 80 13.0%
  • Kuiu

Votes: 79 12.9%
  • Kifaru

Votes: 69 11.2%
  • Mystery Ranch

Votes: 213 34.7%
  • Seek Outside

Votes: 27 4.4%
  • Other Hunting Brand

Votes: 136 22.1%
  • Non Hunting Brand

Votes: 38 6.2%

• Total voters
interesting - mine broke on my SkyGuide on my Sheep Hunt - 3 days into 11 days. They sent me a new belt but with the same XL Tri-Slide I believe. Let me know what is different on the new belt! I'd be interested to find out!
I’m not sure if that piece is any different, but they told me the belt has been updated since I bought my pack.

Stone Glacier Sky Guide 7900

Love it. Except I need a strap for my straps. I fear windy days when my pack isn’t fully loaded. Eventually a strap end will work loose and smack me in the face repeatedly at 40mph until I can take off my pack, re-stow the strap end, and start again. The anxiety of knowing that it will work loose and beat me senseless once again is crippling.

Love it. Except I need a strap for my straps. I fear windy days when my pack isn’t fully loaded. Eventually a strap end will work loose and smack me in the face repeatedly at 40mph until I can take off my pack, re-stow the strap end, and start again. The anxiety of knowing that it will work loose and beat me senseless once again is crippling.
I think they sell strap retainers but for the price it should come with them. The only thing I’ve found that sucks about SG packs is that anything you want past a frame a bag is a costly accessory.

I think they sell strap retainers but for the price it should come with them. The only thing I’ve found that sucks about SG packs is that anything you want past a frame a bag is a costly accessory.
You can use the strap Restrainers - I tended to tuck my ends in under the bag against the frame. But I understand.
I do love my Sky Guide.

Looks like they updated the belt just in the last couple months. They said if I break another Tri-Slide they will replace it or I could preemptively send it in to get fixed. I have 5 weeks by myself as the family travels south so I'm going to be Black Bear hunting 3-5 weekends unless I get lucky!

I had an opportunity to compare my kifaru with a similar stone glacier the other day. I was not impressed with the materials in comparison. The build quality itself looks pretty good, stitching looked to be every bit as good. Design was well thought out. But the material they are made out of bummed me out. Much softer, thinner buckles and clips. I mean its probably fine and will last forever. Maybe I'm just use to kifaru over building the crap out of their stuff. I just was not impressed.

I feel like I can throw my kifaru frame in a wood chipper and end up having to replace the wood chipper instead of the kifaru bag. These are jokes by the way. My wife wants a nice pack and I think ill be purchasing the the Kifaru for her.

Strap keepers are just rubber bands. Surely you can find some but I find hilarity in the fear you have of you straps!

Although completely not hunting related, having a Chinook helicopter land near you with loose straps is a sure way to get flailed in the face, thighs, backs, sides, etc.

Also, completely unrelated to this as well, but I got knocked down from the kneeling when I was hit in the back/shoulder by a flying dried out piece of camel shyt that was propelled by a Chinook landing near me. Literally knocked down by flying shyt. So yeah, loose straps CAN be annoying in high wind situations!!!

Stone Glacier Sky Archer 6400 and Evo 40/56- 3(ish) seasons. Not a lot of organization, water bottle pockets like to vomit your Nalgene on steep slopes.

Kuiu Icon Pro 5200- 2 seasons. While packing out an elk hind quarter, the lift handle tore out of the carbon fiber frame, which seemed like it could have been secured further into the frame than near the edge.

Mystery Ranch Marshall- 2 seasons. HEAVY and Huge. Not a lot of ways to compress the pack for shorter trips.

It does, and the ability to loosen the belt was my only complaint with the previous style.
Same - once i figured out how to do what that tab makes easier it was alot better. And then just the broken Tri-Slide (I was 4 days into what turned out to be 11 days so luckily I had some extreme heavy duty Zip Ties I used instead.

Alps commander z. Its bulky to pack all day but it can carry a load out comfortably.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1609707774360.jpg
    FB_IMG_1609707774360.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 6
Not sure if it’s been mentioned (too much to read through)..

I currently run a MR Pintler, on a Kifaru Duplex Lite frame.
Straps up like it was made for it.
HOWEVER..recently realized there has been revisions to the pintler bag (assuming for 2021 or whenever the most recent frame came out from MR)
The new bag has better internal pockets, easier load shelf access, and better side strap placement. Maybe a few other small things.
My biggest gripe with the Pintler, old and new versions (since it hasn’t changed) is the center zip. I find it a little difficult to access the bottom corners of the bag since it doesn’t open much at all on the bottom. Because the “flaps” don’t open much, can also make the internal side pockets harder to access (although I think a little easier on newer revision)
Like the zipper design of the beartooth 80 and sawtooth 45 much more

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back