Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Why my pack sucks: Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Exo, Seek, Mystery Ranch, Kuiu, etc.

Please select either the first or second choice, then select your current pack brand.

• I have tried multiple hunting brands

Votes: 308 50.2%
  • I have used just one hunting brand

Votes: 148 24.1%
  • Stone Glacier

Votes: 88 14.3%
  • Exo

Votes: 80 13.0%
  • Kuiu

Votes: 79 12.9%
  • Kifaru

Votes: 69 11.2%
  • Mystery Ranch

Votes: 213 34.7%
  • Seek Outside

Votes: 27 4.4%
  • Other Hunting Brand

Votes: 136 22.1%
  • Non Hunting Brand

Votes: 38 6.2%

• Total voters
After seeing this, I’m selling the Stone Glacier. This is the thinking man’s way to pack out elk.

Eberlestock X1 Europe/Scandinavia, 48 liters.

- I'm 6' and it fits me perfectly.
- It's very sturdy and can pack a lot of stuff without bending or loosing balance.
- Gun holster is centered on my model which creates a minor imbalance since a rifle isnt straight as an arrow. Still, it's got better balance than any other solution to the problem.
- If silencer is mounted on the rifle it becomes very tall, which makes sneaking through brush an annoying task
- It's possible to pull the rifle fast from the holster, but not supereasy.

I use this pack for hunts where I walk or ski long distances, sometimes with the .308 in the pack and an over-under shotgun in my hands. It improved my quality of life during stalks immensely.

After seeing this, I’m selling the Stone Glacier. This is the thinking man’s way to pack out elk.

Oof. The whole point of a backpack with a hip belt is to put the weight on your hips instead of your shoulders and spine. Your legs carry the same amount of weight either way, but this set-up is brutal.

I bought a Slumberjack Deadfall 65 last year. For those of you who are cost conscious, I bought it for $175 on sale, normal price is $229. It works for me doing day hunts for Sitka Blacktail in SE Alaska. I added a pouch on the left shoulder strap for the Garmin, and use a gun bearer system. I find it comfortable, ticks most of the boxes. I do wish the side pockets were bigger.
Link: https://slumberjack.com/deadfall-65-backpack/

Wow! I'm still humping a Large ALICE pack (Army guys know what that is) in the woods. I need to do some shopping.

Only thing I haven’t liked after 2 seasons with a Stone Glacier is the cost. I kinda hate packs with a ton of pockets so I like the minimalist style of it. I just bag stuff that needs to be accessed easily in Zip Locs and put it close to the outside or in lid.

Oof. The whole point of a backpack with a hip belt is to put the weight on your hips instead of your shoulders and spine. Your legs carry the same amount of weight either way, but this set-up is brutal.
Who needs llamas? Just bring your friends and a few panniers. 😂

Only thing I haven’t liked after 2 seasons with a Stone Glacier is the cost. I kinda hate packs with a ton of pockets so I like the minimalist style of it. I just bag stuff that needs to be accessed easily in Zip Locs and put it close to the outside or in lid.
The top 'corners' where the main zipper makes a 90 deg angle are at the top of my dislikes for SG. If the pack is full, those zippers are a bear to get around either of those corners.

The top 'corners' where the main zipper makes a 90 deg angle are at the top of my dislikes for SG. If the pack is full, those zippers are a bear to get around either of those corners.
Mine is the 6900 so it just has a full length vertical zipper. I’m guessing you are referencing a Solo?

I like my Kelty RedCloud. Lots of pockets so I can organize it, and I can pretty easily lash a quarter to it for the first trip out. Used my old Camp Trails Horizon (bought in 1974 for $64, horrified my parents that a pack would cost that much) for the subsequent trips. Planning to purchase a Kelty Tioga or similar for next year - my near 50-year-old pack's suspension and waist belt could be improve upon. But for load carrying, a good external frame pack, or just the frame, can be great.

I have an Eberlestock X2 which I like but it is well worn out. I had the Gunrunner, but it is too narrow IMO.

I have gone to a simple day pack from Walmart and I have a $70 aluminum pack frame with a shelf for loading out animals.
I use same two Eberlestock packs:

Love the rifle scabbard feature on the Gunrunner but the pack does have limited carry capacity and even though I have carried meat with it, it is not designed as a meat hauler.

The X2 has the carry capacity I need but lacks the rifle scabbard. Also, meat hauling with the X2 is a bit awkward.

Both packs are great day packs IMO.

I have used the following backpacks for genuine backpacking trips from age 14 until now:
  • Kelty Trekker external frame: squeaked, did not impress my friends who had internal frame packs
  • Kelty Continental Divide external frame: not as comfortable or practical as the Trekker, but it looked cooler
  • Deuter Aircontact: pretty good, very heavy for the capacity
  • Osprey Aether: all around a very good pack, but wins no points on internet hunting forums
  • Seek Outside Divide: I got it in multicam, which I get self conscious about when I'm just backpacking and not hunting
All were pretty good packs. Deuter's heavy duty packs in particular are real beasts. It's too bad Kelty doesn't make things with the same quality as they used to.

I have worn Mystery Ranch fire packs for work and am not sure I like their yoke system, but I can imagine them working for a lot of people. I have worn friends' packs from Gregory, Stone Glacier, Mountainsmith, and others.

I'm honestly still looking for the thing that works perfect for me. I have never seen a Kifaru or HPG pack in person and am interested to try.

Last edited:
Mystery Ranch Pintler backpack. A bit heavy compared to other packs with more room. Approx 1-1.5lb more than SG similar packs.

Ok, I've tried 2 real packs.
First was an Eberlestock F1 Mainframe with J2DB Dry Bag and 2 Batwings. I used it for 3 years for Moose and Caribou hunts in Alaska Interior. The bad good - handled weight good though I never did any long packs with it. It has some good accesories and the external frame is nice with the ability to quickly zip on and zip off the drybag. Bad - It slipped on me pretty bad. I had to regularly adjust it and it never seemed to sit very well. I was a bit overweight but even as I lost weight this last year it wouldn't stay up. I'm acctually in the process of selling this because I went on a 12 day sheep hunt this year, hiking in 14-15 miles and when I contacted them to figure out how to add more space they said they had nothing they could do for me and their only solution was for me to buy a full pack and strap it to the top or the outside back of the remainder of my bag. This wasn't acceptable to me so I purchased a new pack (see below) and am now selling this unit.
TLDR: Eberlestock F1 Mainframe couldn't get big enough to cover my needs and wouldn't stay in place on long hikes especially with weight.

My Second Pack is the Stone Glacier Sky Guide 7900. I have used it on one Sheep hunt, hiking in 14-15 miles and spending 12 days sheep hunting in the Chugach Mountains of Alaska. The pack is large, light, pretty easy to figure out. I broke one of the Large TriSlides on day 4 of the hunt and when I got back they said they have seen some issues of this but it was irregular. They mailed me a whole replacement belt though so I didn't even have to pay shipping to do a warranty replacement. The pack itself was good but when I had my bow strapped to the back there was no great access to the main pocket so I always had to shove quick need items in the lid and had to take my bow off regularly. Also I don't like their Water bladder solution - which is to create an accessory bag that you can strap in, but there is no hook or anything in the bag to keep my bladder from slipping down and collapsing. The external pockets also don't have tube holes and aren't really setup for water bladders, they want you to stick the bladder flat hanging aginst your back.
TLDR: Stone Glacier Sky Guide 7900 - known issue with Large TriSlide under research and limited water bladder locations. If you strap your weapon to your back prepare to take it off alot.

Sidenote... Stone Glacier didn't slip, was comfortable and we humped out 14 miles on the last day without stopping more then 2 hours over three breaks and the pack didn't chafe, ride bad, or cause any pain that wouldn't be considered normal for a 14 mile hike with a 60 pound pack!

I just want to say how much I appreciate the information in this thread. I'm going back and forth between Mystery Ranch and Kuiu packs for comfort vs fast and light. I can handle a little discomfort and believe light is right, but don't want to sell after packing out the first animal. Organization is preferred but not at the sake of multiple pounds. This may not be the thread to ask for input, so I'll wait until I have enough posts to start my own thread. But wanted to thank you all, and get one step closer to posting freedom!

I've got a MR Sawtooth and it's a huge upgrade from the milsurp/homemade monstrosity I used before. It carries weight so nicely. I do have a couple gripes with it though. First, there is no good way to secure your rifle to it. I've got a Kifaru gun bearer on the way and that will be so nice to have, but I still wish there was a way to strap a rifle down without it being 100 ft over your head. Carrying it on the side is pretty secure, but the brush and undergrowth around here it rough to navigate. With the rifle on the back, the straps are small and close together so it doesn't really secure the rifle. Maybe its not a problem for yall out west but for NC it doesn't work.

The side pockets could be a smidge bigger, I have a problem getting a nalgene in and out without taking the pack off.

Overall though I love the pack. I'll probably pick up the beartooth bag at some point.

I have used Eberlestock J34 for the last 6-7 seasons. I like that its expandable, so I can use as a day pack and a backpacking pack. It has some decent organization, I can fit enough gear in it for a full 5 day back pack hunt. I also have an additional bag that can be attached if need to carry more gear. Has a built in gun scabbard that I really like.

Cons it is heavy, and you have to carry meat in the same area you would your gear, unless you use the spike duffel to put your gear in when hauling meat.

I am looking for a different pack, but only because I want one that is lighter.

Back