Why might a non-firearm be carried during gun seasons?

Don't you ever ask yourself, "Is that guy a convict or what!" whenever you see a non-gun in the deer woods during a gun season? There might be other reasons for non-guns during gun seasons, but one possibility is that the hunter might be banned from getting a gun.
The only question I ask is if I still want to hunt near this other hunter which I ask regardless of weapon type.

The only question I ask is if I still want to hunt near this other hunter which I ask regardless of weapon type.
Well, maybe I'm a bit a paranoid. Even if a convict were to be in the field with a bow, air gun or muzzle-loader during gun seasons, I should feel relatively safe because I would be only carrying a superior weapon during gun seasons, a GUN. Of course, being that I'm in Oklahoma, I'm also allowed to carry a pistol in the field for self-defense during archery seasons as well as gun seasons.

I was on jury duty once. A man was on trial for DUI. The man, defendant, was stopped at 2 in the morning for driving on the wrong side of the street. He was cited for that and a DUI as well. During the trial, the defendant testified on the witness stand, that he had to be to a job interview at 7:30 that same morning the officer had stopped his car. A fellow juror in deliberation, a skeptical old man, asked out loud as to why the man would be out driving his car late at night with a job interview coming so soon that same morning. The man had stated he was going home from his brother's house and also admitted that he had two beers while at his brother's. Still, the prosecution had to prove that he was actually driving under the influence. I ask myself today, "Why would a sober person be driving on the wrong side of the street?" If there are potholes or a stalled vehicle, I can see steering around them on the left but no legitimate reason for driving on the wrong side of the street was ever addressed at the trial back in the summer of 1985.

A skeptical person likewise might wonder what somebody is doing hunting with a bow, muzzle-loader or air gun during a gun season. I might be interviewing a candidate for a job hire. A very sensitive job like armored car driver that requires a very squeaky-clean record. I might have taxidermy mounts in my office. The job interviewee, seeing I'm the outdoorsy type, might mention that he killed a buck last week with his recurve bow. Last week might be late November, the heart of gun deer season. I'm thinking to myself, "Hmmmm, a bow during gun seasons? How odd." Can't he even get a gun? I think I'd better look at his criminal background check again closely. He is required to armed for this job position.

But I digress.

We convicted the man for driving on the wrong side of the street but acquitted him on the DUI count in spite of the old man's skepticism. He past the alphabet writing test with flying colors. The man at the trial had actually admitted driving on the wrong side of the street. The policeman on the traffic stop had him write the ABC's on a sheet of paper as a field sobriety test. The man had in fact refused a blood alcohol test. His lawyer argued he was afraid of needles.

This thread makes my head hurt but here I am still reading and commenting. Damnit!

When I think of felons, I don't picture a group of them sitting around and waxing philosophic on on going to deer camp, but that's just me.
Just because someone is carrying a weapon not normally associated with the season doesn't make them a criminal.

In Pennsylvania, we have different seasons going on at the same time with different weapons being legal. You used to be able to hunt fall turkey with a rifle (recently changed) so you could hunt turkey with a rifle in the morning, small game with a shotgun in the afternoon and bow hunt deer in the evening. I often left home with the all the gear to do just this. Also, during rifle deer season, we have specific game management units that are bow, muzzleloader, shotgun only.

Is seeing a non-firearm during gun seasons a cause for alarm? The man seen with a bow during gun season might be a registered sex offender.
I...what....no...just no...

Problem solving...just don't turn your back to him or her...just in case ;)

Well, maybe I'm a bit a paranoid. Even if a convict were to be in the field with a bow, air gun or muzzle-loader during gun seasons, I should feel relatively safe because I would be only carrying a superior weapon during gun seasons, a GUN. Of course, being that I'm in Oklahoma, I'm also allowed to carry a pistol in the field for self-defense during archery seasons as well as gun seasons.

I was on jury duty once. A man was on trial for DUI. The man, defendant, was stopped at 2 in the morning for driving on the wrong side of the street. He was cited for that and a DUI as well. During the trial, the defendant testified on the witness stand, that he had to be to a job interview at 7:30 that same morning the officer had stopped his car. A fellow juror in deliberation, a skeptical old man, asked out loud as to why the man would be out driving his car late at night with a job interview coming so soon that same morning. The man had stated he was going home from his brother's house and also admitted that he had two beers while at his brother's. Still, the prosecution had to prove that he was actually driving under the influence. I ask myself today, "Why would a sober person be driving on the wrong side of the street?" If there are potholes or a stalled vehicle, I can see steering around them on the left but no legitimate reason for driving on the wrong side of the street was ever addressed at the trial back in the summer of 1985.

A skeptical person likewise might wonder what somebody is doing hunting with a bow, muzzle-loader or air gun during a gun season. I might be interviewing a candidate for a job hire. A very sensitive job like armored car driver that requires a very squeaky-clean record. I might have taxidermy mounts in my office. The job interviewee, seeing I'm the outdoorsy type, might mention that he killed a buck last week with his recurve bow. Last week might be late November, the heart of gun deer season. I'm thinking to myself, "Hmmmm, a bow during gun seasons? How odd." Can't he even get a gun? I think I'd better look at his criminal background check again closely. He is required to armed for this job position.

But I digress.

We convicted the man for driving on the wrong side of the street but acquitted him on the DUI count in spite of the old man's skepticism. He past the alphabet writing test with flying colors. The man at the trial had actually admitted driving on the wrong side of the street. The policeman on the traffic stop had him write the ABC's on a sheet of paper as a field sobriety test. The man had in fact refused a blood alcohol test. His lawyer argued he was afraid of needles.

I just assume pretty much every other person on the road is an a-hole, just because they're in a car. They're probably drunk or high too, what possible other reason could they have for being on the road at the same time as me? They should go straight to jail. I hope I get jury duty some day, you're all going to end up in the clink if I have any say in it, along with the sex offenders and other felonious non-firearm hunters...

I just assume pretty much every other person on the road is an a-hole, just because they're in a car. They're probably drunk or high too, what possible other reason could they have for being on the road at the same time as me? They should go straight to jail. I hope I get jury duty some day, you're all going to end up in the clink if I have any say in it, along with the sex offenders and other felonious non-firearm hunters...
1644332465948.png

I...what....no...just no...

Problem solving...just don't turn your back to him or her...just in case ;)
Maybe they carry a bow late November in the deer woods coz they are just gun shy. Ears sensitive to gunfire. Maybe shoulder is recoil sensitive. Not necessarily coz the NICS check came back denied for that expensive, unreliable and inaccurate new-fangled Japan-made Browning BAR they were about to buy otherwise.

Maybe they carry a bow late November in the deer woods coz they are just gun shy. Ears sensitive to gunfire. Maybe shoulder is recoil sensitive. Not necessarily coz the NICS check came back denied for that expensive, unreliable and inaccurate new-fangled Japan-made Browning BAR they were about to buy otherwise.
I do it when I'm hunting people, nice and quiet.

Just to add to your paranoia TT, most sex offenders are never caught, especially the ones that prey on guys, because guys are too embarrassed to report the violation. Therefore, they are allowed to carry a gun. So while you're out there judging the guy with a bow there is a good chance someone is checking out your backside through a rifle scope.

There’s probably a RSO watching your house right now.

I have a landowner that doesn't allow gun hunting on their property. So bow during the gun season is the only option if I want to hunt there that week.

Well, maybe I'm a bit a paranoid.
This makes my head hurt. If I was only given this to judge by I would say yes you are in fact paranoid.

Someone once convicted of a crime who is now abiding by the restrictions imposed upon them- if that even is the case- while recreating in the outdoors is the least of my concerns.

You are free to fear other hunters in the woods but that’s not how I am gonna spend my time outdoors.

And more importantly- no a hotdog is not a sandwich.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back