Why don't some people like antelope meat?

okie archer

I can't figure out why some people detest antelope meat. I don't have any pics of a fancy dish our any special recipe to tell you about but I ate for supper some very good antelope meat yesterday.
It started out with a couple hunts a few weeks ago for my daughter and I.
We both made very quick clean kills. No gut shots and or running for a long time building up adrenaline in the blood flow.
Next we were able to get the skin off and meat deboned quickly for cool down. Then we were able to get the meat in a freezer I haul with me on hunting trips. Meat was froze for a few days before I could get home and start to work on processing it. Once home I took a 120 quart ice chest and layered the bottom with ice, laid the meat on ice then cover the top of meat with ice. With the ice chest tilted and the drain open the blood and water would run out the drain at bottom of chest I left open. This way the meat wasn't soaking in it's own blood. After about three days I brought the meat in to cut it up like I wanted. I'm not very knowledgeable on the perfect cuts so I cut it up like I thought was best. But first I cut as much sinew, white junk, silver layer, and that slimey stuff off that I could. I cut slivers of fajita meat, small chunks of stew meat, steak slices etc. and had my ground pile. I wrapped each portion in in plastic wrap then a wrap in freezer paper labeling each package with date and cut. Before I made the ground I placed in freezer for awhile to kinda semi freeze. I friend told me it helped keep the meat from just mushing out of the grinder and getting all blood and soft, hope that makes sense. Well it seemed to work very good. I also ground up some regular bacon in the meat. Just for experment purpose I ground some with the larger holes and some with the smaller holes and marked it on the package so I will know which one I like best.
Before I put the ground meat in freezer I couldn't help it. I grabbed a cast iron skillet and fried up a couple patties. Just sprinkled salt and pepper with a little Creole seasoning. Came out delicious, the kids loved it too.
For supper I took some steak cuts from the hind quarter (again I really don't know the cuts and anotomy) and marinated a few hours in Dale's seasoning. Simply put on the grill until done. With some baked potato and salad we had a delicious supper. I honestly don't know how anyone can say antelope is not good.
One more thing might be worth mentioning. These antelope were killed in the prairie with no sage. It appears that their diet mainly consisted of prairie grass instead of sage. Not sure if that matters our not.

Because they don't take care of them in the field.
Exactly ... and BTW, I think okie archer did it right and thus enjoyed the table fare. My older brother, an avid antelope hunter, once told me to treat my antelope as though I had no permit and the warden was coming over the hill ... skin, butcher, and get the meat in the cooler asap! Also, as recently discussed on this forum, antelope are not venison, goat, sheep or bovine ... and hanging/aging actually may be detrimental to salvaging the maximum meat. Furthermore, as trivia I like to share, the species most closely related to the pronghorn is the giraffe.

I just had some tenderloin from my buddies buck last night. It smelled and tasted very strongly of sweet grass/ hay. Not super sage-y, but it was strong enough that it took me a few bites to get used to. He was shot this past Sunday afternoon, 2 seconds after standing from his bed. Went 15 yards. He was field dressed and dragged to the truck. The high that day was 50. My buddy hung him hide-on, as the temps were supposed to be moderate for a while, but a change in forecast necessitated butchering him after only a day hanging. So I'm thinking the next cut I try I'm going to try dry aging in the fridge for a bit. I think if I'm able to put one down at some point, I will defiantly be getting the hide off and aging it in a cooler.

What's the term when people believe something becuase so many others do...crowd knowledge? Let them keep thinking that. More goat tags for me.

Don't antelope have tarsal glands like deer? I imagine a fair number of people have contaminated the meat that way.

Antelope is one of my favorite game meats, definitely top 3. I've only taken about 20 antelope but all have been terrific table fare. I do like most, get the hide off and the animal quartered up and on ice as quickly as possible. That is usually within 2 hours of so from the shot. All meat gets vacuum sealed so that it is easy to transport and ice down for the ride home. Once at home it gets cleaned and cut up the way I want it and vacuum sealed in portions and frozen.

Colorado antelope has always been fantastic. I was worried when I harvested a couple of Wyoming does, that the difference in diets would cause a difference in taste, as I've overheard from some hunters in the past. Pleased to find that Wyoming sage antelope are just as tasty as Colorado grassland antelope. Getting hungry just typing this

Sounds like you did everything right and you have some great tasting antelope because of it. As far as antelope eating sage making them gamey? Out here in NV that's all they eat and I have never had a gamey antelope, they have all been delicious. :)

Good question. I know plenty of people that can’t stand antelope. Ive eaten antelope out of ND, MT, and WY. I like deer meat and have eaten a bunch of them, but I have yet to eat a deer that was as good as any antelope I’ve had. The burger doesn’t even compare between the two in my opinion.

I've only had one bad antelope, and he had been running for a while (chased around by other hunters) before I killed him. All others 10+/- were fantastic. I did nothing special to any of them. Most hunt with the hide on in the garage for a 3-6 days. Some go cut up sooner, some later.

As mentioned, I think some people may just be adverse to eating the meat? Kind of like the guys that trim half a steak to get all the silver skin and connective tissue off so it doesn't "taste bad." That chit doesn't even have a taste, or it doesn't to me. So maybe that's why I like antelope? Its my #1 game meat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back