MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Why does it have to be this way?

Do you like traditional thanksgiving fare?

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 98 52.7%
  • Yes, but mostly because of the tradition

Votes: 32 17.2%
  • No, but i do like the tradition of it

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • No i'd absolutely prefer other stuff. tradition be damned.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • Don't care, i'm too busy blasting forkies in montana on thanksgiving day

Votes: 18 9.7%

• Total voters
let's start a lively debate. though i feel confident i'm in the minority already.

why, just why, does thanksgiving food have to be what it is? why is everyone set on it?

for what is incontrovertibly the biggest most important get together meal of the entire year in the huge and powerful country of America, where we come together to enjoy the company of our family and friends to be joyous and thankful do we dine on what is IMO some of the most mediocre food available?

there is almost nothing on the thanksgiving table that i have any desire to go out of my way to eat at any other point in the year. there are countless items that are better than all of it.

let me list off everything better than turkey:
  • beef prime rib
  • beef tenderloin
  • nearly any beef steak really
  • pulled pork
  • roasted whole chicken
  • elk steaks
  • deer steaks
  • antelope steaks
  • pork tenderloin
  • pork chops
  • hamburgers, i'd rather eat delicious homemade hamburgers all day every day instead of turkey
mashed potatoes, never been a big fan. what's better?
  • mac and cheese
  • french fries
  • scalloped potatoes (i'm sure some people do this over mashed on turkey day, props to them)
  • potatos au gratin
  • well seasoned, buttered, wild rice with veggies

sweet potato casserole, yeah that's pretty good. green bean casserole, yeah that's also pretty good. but really they're the best of a bad situation IMO. don't really care what salad is on the table, salad is never that special unless it's oozing with blue cheese and red onion.

best thing that makes an appearance at thanksgiving is apple pie, without a doubt in my mind. i'm looking to eat apple pie a lot more than just thanksgiving. that's kinda my metric, think about most items on a thanksgiving table and ask yourself, do i ever want to eat this at any other time of the year? would you ever order any of it at a quality restaurant? if the answer is no, than you're doing thanksgiving wrong.

who the hell goes to quality restaurant with all the things in the world on the menu and orders turkey? it's asinine. turkey is so low on the totem pole of of delicious meats.

thanksgiving should be the best of the best food. sticking to a tradition of mediocre dishes because of tradition is dumb.
After eating a delicious wild turkey, with scratch made gravy, stove top stuffing (the best kind), mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce I can confidently say:
1669344762549.gif

The little grand-monsters came up yesterday. We road around on the ATVs, popped a few squirrels, had a great dinner with daughter and soon to be ex husband. My wife's only comment was that they stayed about a half hour too long💨

Had 2 cinnamon rolls I shared with Rio for breakie. After dark roast of course.
Mid day waiting for the roast we had cheetos and string cheese.

Rio got nervous when I loaded the food in a cooler at sunset....and we drove around in the dark playing dodge elk. Then the cooler is gone for a while and he's asleep on my seat....then more driving.

I had a big plate waiting when we got home.
Apricot Chimayo chile glazed pork roast, mashed taters, mushroom gravy, Razzleberry pie.

I the leftovers with some hunters in AZ. The barest hunt fridge I have ever seen and I might have saved a stalk from the ground creeping gas one was said to have had earlier....play the wind boys.

We had a traditional dinner Tuesday before departing for New Mexico on Wednesday. Will be thawing gravy and dressing Sunday when we get back home.

Am sure we can find some desserts in Santa Fe today.

We had a traditional dinner Tuesday before departing for New Mexico on Wednesday. Will be thawing gravy and dressing Sunday when we get back home.

Am sure we can find some desserts in Santa Fe today.
French bakery up the street from the Plaza, Sage bakery to the south of the Plaza ..........................just saying

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back