Why does it have to be this way?

Do you like traditional thanksgiving fare?

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 98 52.7%
  • Yes, but mostly because of the tradition

Votes: 32 17.2%
  • No, but i do like the tradition of it

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • No i'd absolutely prefer other stuff. tradition be damned.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • Don't care, i'm too busy blasting forkies in montana on thanksgiving day

Votes: 18 9.7%

• Total voters
Then, and this was the real kick in the nuts, you have to talk about how good it is or my MIL gets all upset.

Even my kids had to be warned to only speak positively about the meal. Which they almost failed at, but caught themselves with a stern look from me.

Something about Montana natives and fresh produce...acorn squash is amazing with a touch of Maple syrup...yeah, I know, another foreign product.😄
So we had Thanksgiving dinner with some friends. She is a native Canadian, and made a maple pie.

Oh. My. God. Thanksgiving will never be the same! I never knew this was lurking just a few short miles away, north of the border.

A good mix of foreign and traditional might keep everyone happy 😁

Here's what was on the menu.
Pre- cooked turkey breast
Overcooked ham
Instant mashed potatoes with 2 cups of table salt
Packet brown gravy w/ extra salt
Canned corn
Cranberry with crushed pineapples and Splenda
Microwaved acorn squash (dry no fixin's)

I didn't bring enough beer
Hmm, looks like crap, smells like crap, tastes like crap. I sure hope it doesn't make the dog sick.

Here's what was on the menu.
Pre- cooked turkey breast
Overcooked ham
Instant mashed potatoes with 2 cups of table salt
Packet brown gravy w/ extra salt
Canned corn
Cranberry with crushed pineapples and Splenda
Microwaved acorn squash (dry no fixin's)

I didn't bring enough beer

That’s when you discreetly slam 3 or 4 Big Mac meals or a whole papa John’s pizza during the day sometime before dinner. Gotta get some guilty pleasure out of the day somehow

Then, and this was the real kick in the nuts, you have to talk about how good it is or my MIL gets all upset.

Even my kids had to be warned to only speak positively about the meal. Which they almost failed at, but caught themselves with a stern look from me.
Me and the wife do separate holidays with our families...I married well.

I smoked Turkey number 2 this morning. It was all I could do to muster the energy to start the smoker at 4:30 am. Now both the boy and I are in bed while everyone else is eating.

Potato, potaato
Yeah but with the alcohol you still have to fulfill your hunger with something.

With secret pre thanksgiving dinner McDonald’s not only do you fill up on a yummy guilty pleasure but you can also still drink and then all you have to do is nibble on the crap turkey and tell people how awesome it is with slurred speech

In terms of gifts science has given us, Instant mashed potatoes rival vaccines.

I did have to google acorn squash and didn’t necessarily like what I saw.
Cut your squash in half, remove the seeds from it, pour about a stick of melted butter over top, season liberally with sea salt and brown sugar or salt and maple sugar, roast on the pellet grill for 1 1/2 hours.

Going to try a smokifried turkey soon.
I wish I could tell you if it was good or not. I didn’t even carve it. I brought it in to rest and went to bed. My wife just told me it was better than thursdays though.

I brined it in a standard turkey brine, smoked at about 200 for 4 hours. Turned it up to 350 and basted it every hour until it reached 165.

If done right turkey isn't the least bit dry at 165. Hmmv

Done right or wrong it’s even less dry at 155 😉

A whole generation of soccer moms is convinced after being terrorized by the USDA for decades that if poultry isn’t cooked to 165+ you will literally die in your sleep 7 hours later. Wouldn’t even have to try that hard and could have better turkey if everybody didn’t cook the blazes out of it

I wish I could tell you if it was good or not. I didn’t even carve it. I brought it in to rest and went to bed. My wife just told me it was better than thursdays though.

I brined it in a standard turkey brine, smoked at about 200 for 4 hours. Turned it up to 350 and basted it every hour until it reached 165.
You sick? I've been up since 330 to duck hunt I'm bout 8 beers in now...

Anyhow this is what I'm gonna try...this gyys grilling and smoking is amazing.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back