Caribou Gear Tarp

Why do people do this when they camp?

Thread review:
⭐⭐ "I thought this would be about burning poop in camp"
It is. Talk to Vietnam vets about "shit detail" literally burning half barrels of human excrement. Nam vets I knew were suddently busy on other details whan shit detail came around.

It is. Talk to Vietnam vets about "shit detail" literally burning half barrels of human excrement. Nam vets I knew were suddently busy on other details whan shit detail came around.

You don't have to go back to Vietnam for that, we were still burning shit on some patrol bases in Afghanistan in 2009...

So fun to see the first time speedgoat hunters tell you this when you run into them their first day in the field...By day 3 they are glassing through the windshield....
Glassing through the windshield is a rookie move. You park sideways, shut off the engine, and roll the window part of the way up to rest your binos on. Everyone knows that.

So fun to see the first time speedgoat hunters tell you this when you run into them their first day in the field...By day 3 they are glassing through the windshield....
Don't know what a "speedgoat hunter" is but I hunted 66 days this year in Alaska and Montana and never saw another hunter by hiking in at least 2 miles from any road (and only hunting weekdays or boating in 60 miles to camp)

Don't know what a "speedgoat hunter" is but I hunted 66 days this year in Alaska and Montana and never saw another hunter by hiking in at least 2 miles from any road (and only hunting weekdays or boating in 60 miles to camp)
1646440789182.jpeg
Any Questions?

WARNING! Impertinent statements follow.....

Maybe iffen ya road hunted you coulda tagged out in 3 days instead of 66? :ROFLMAO:

Float hunting is just road hunting on water, right?

Last edited:
I can't wait for my lighting pickup. Gonna take road hunting for antelope to the next level. I'm going to refer to it as a road blind due to the silence. Everyone else will be banging around in big noisy trucks and 4 wheelers scaring all the animals.

I made up for your solitude. My brother and I decided to use opening day of elk season to hunt an area we had never been to. It was 9 miles from the nearest road. We had barely high lined the horses to take a break and eat, when two other hunters on horses rode up to us.

We all took a break and chuckled over riding in that far and still bumping into other hunters.

I made up for your solitude. My brother and I decided to use opening day of elk season to hunt an area we had never been to. It was 9 miles from the nearest road. We had barely high lined the horses to take a break and eat, when two other hunters on horses rode up to us.

We all took a break and chuckled over riding in that far and still bumping into other hunters.
You just never know. Some years ago I was about 5 miles up a trail then to the top of a mountain between two big drainages here in the Root. Ran right into a guy. Goat hunter. I think he questioned my sanity when he found out I was mule deer hunting. mtmuley

When hunting on public land, you are going to run into other hunters. When there is a road, they will drive, camp, shoot and even poop on that road. Yes, I've seen it, complete with toilet paper, in the middle of a well traveled road. I used to be the guy who would put a half day stalk on a herd of antelope, only to have some "idiot" drive up and run the herd off, and I would cuss that idiot up and down. My hunt would be "ruined"! The fact of the matter is that I am on public land, and I'm not going to go on a discussion board and convince all public hunters to hunt exactly like I hunt. Other hunters are part of the equation. Just like wind, rain, snow, other animals, etc, they will affect your hunt. If you don't like other hunters, hunt on private, hike in, go the last few days of the season, hunt during the week, etc. If there's a road, you take the risk that other hunters will drive on it and they may scare off game. All I'm saying is nothing wrong with going online and venting, but don't let it ruin your hunt. Look at other hunters as one of the many, many challenges involved in planning and executing a successful hunt.

What about people not hunting at all just enjoying a drive on a backroad.

Is that allowed? Arent there roadless or non motorized areas to hunt?

Sometimes. We do have to share public land, tho.
No problem here with sharing public land. Not much from you about actually hunting since you joined. Just wondered what interest a hunting site held for you. mtmuley

No problem here with sharing public land. Not much from you about actually hunting since you joined. Just wondered what interest a hunting site held for you. mtmuley
I only hunt for food and I dont really feel good about showing off about killing things.

Its not about a trophy to me, its about healthy food for my family.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back