Why do people do this when they camp?

Bob-WY

I get it, you can camp anywhere on BLM etc. But if you are here to hunt and camp, GREAT, more power to you, but why drive all the way through the BLM/public then camp, then hunt and complain you don't see much, driving in/out just chases things off!

Sorry for the vent, this is an easy to draw area, so LOTS of people, I get that. Last night wife and I (we filled our buck tags in a hard to draw area) went to wander and try to find does in the easy to draw area. We've learned to not even bother the first week, but last night we were bored and figured at least it will be a nice walk! Immediately on a BLM chunk that goes back from the road about 2 miles, we were getting out of the truck, down the 2 track comes a truck heading OUT of the BLM. Didn't really bother us since we planned to get as far off the 2-track as we could once we hiked back about a mile. We chatted with him, they had been camped as far in as they could drive, so 2 miles in from the main road, on the 2-track right up the middle, he was complaining they hadn't seen anything. Really? So you drive in/out every day and wonder why you're not seeing deer or antelope?

If you want to hunt that BLM then don't drive through it and camp way in. Sheesh.

We hiked in anyway, went to extreme edges away from all trails: nothing. Not really surprised, but was a nice walk outside before the weather changes this weekend!

What chaps my arse is the idiots that set up camp right next to water holes. I see it every year... a lot.
They ruin that hole for everyone that wants to hunt it for 2 miles. Gawd, some people are rude or stupid... or both.
We also see campsites on the highest peaks and hills so that animals will see it for miles. Multiple trucks, SxS, tents, campers.

What chaps my arse is the idiots that set up camp right next to water holes. I see it every year... a lot.
They ruin that hole for everyone that wants to hunt it for 2 miles. Gawd, some people are rude or stupid... or both.
We also see campsites on the highest peaks and hills so that animals will see it for miles. Multiple trucks, SxS, tents, campers.
A-holes will be A-holes

Too many wannabes that don't take time to read about etiquette when they start out and learn from experienced hunters. If more people would take a few hours and read, they would learn so much and not cause problems for others

If you want to hunt that BLM then don't drive through it and camp way in. Sheesh.
Maybe they didn't want all the road hunters dusting out their camp as they drove past. End of the road prevents that.

I don't see the problem.

just be glad they didn't set up camp at where the 2 track leaves the main road and block the road going in. Been a hunting party or two who have done that...

I learned a long time ago. don't complain about people driving on an open road or legal 2 track just because you want to hunt it on foot. I've had luck finding Pronghorn bucks on the backside of the ridge you couldn't see from the road.

Or hunt behind this sign
1643933629413.png

Maybe they didn't want all the road hunters dusting out their camp as they drove past. End of the road prevents that.

I don't see the problem.

just be glad they didn't set up camp at where the 2 track leaves the main road and block the road going in. Been a hunting party or two who have done that...

I learned a long time ago. don't complain about people driving on an open road or legal 2 track just because you want to hunt it on foot. I've had luck finding Pronghorn bucks on the backside of the ridge you couldn't see from the road.

Or hunt behind this sign
View attachment 211100
You can hunt in a wilderness area. What you can't do is operate any form of motorized vehicles past that sign. I think there may be exceptions for motorized bicycles that are coming out but not sure of that.

Unfortunately, the people with the bad behavior flat-out don't give a shit. You could lecture them til you are blue in the face. That's why we have the rangers/cops to enforce everything. Then there are the tree huggers that want endless rules and control. It's frustrating.

I know for me personally I hate camping beside a heavily used road and if I had to camp in a campground, well I just wouldn’t camp.

I will say I am pretty careful to try and disturb things as little as possible. I tend to drive in a little way and then get out and do a little forward recon. I am always worried I am going to drive by or through something I don’t wanna miss.

This is sort of a fresh subject for me given how my first hunt of this season went when I was berated by a local for camping and hunting in “their spot” and disturbing “their spot” with my camp, even though I had scouted the area previously and found a campsite that put me within striking distance of the area I wanted to hunt and had to cut my way in the to be able to get my truck back there to set up camp with my elderly step dad.

I am not saying that the situations are the same as the one described, just saying.

If there's a road there that is legal to drive, it makes sense someone is driving it. Probably heard it's best to hunt away from main roads.

Reactions: JAG
Come on man just watch youtube > you need to drive around all night long and bugle from the roads to locate them or at least have a crew member do it every night.

Back