Why do hunting boots have to be tall?

No issues with shorter boots. Just not good for creek crossings and don't have the same ankle support. I like my kenetreks so far. The boot over tennis shoes because the boot is usually made to be a lot more durable. Tennis shoes aren't meant to be as durable on the sides and tops.

I want solid ankle support second (first of course is comfort). I can’t afford to twist an ankle out in the field which could end my entire hunt. After that I want to keep my feet as dry as possible. Wet feet on a cold day will also ruin a day of hunting.

I wear an 8” mid-calf waterproof boot.

YMMV 8"- 10" Hoffman's - That is all. It took me years of trying on boots from every maker before I found them. The minute I put my foot in them, I knew they were my boot. YMMV.

@JLS Uses the lower topped ones. He kills way more stuff than me. Who can judge?

Regarding the OP's lacing issues. I use 4mm 550 paracord laces from MadDog Laces. Guaranteed forever, like a DarnTuff sock. His website also has a link to another hiker's site with literally 1001 lacing patterns for correcting various fitment issues. MadDogs are strong enough to rip the eyes right out of your boots, so go easy. Although I carry extras, I've been using the same set for over two years.

I’ve usually used taller and stiffer boots, mainly Kenetrek and Schnee’s. I’ve actually started to like a slightly shorter height, as I can suck them down tighter and not get pressure on my shin. The ankle support isn’t any different for me.

I’ve also started questioning why I’ve been wearing stiff, heavy boots for everything. I just got a pair of Salomon quests for bird hunting and they are so comfortable I wore them elk hunting on the day I killed my bull. For still hunting through the timber I liked having a lighter, more flexible boot that still has a lot of ankle support.

weak ankles + tall boots/only ever go outside with tall boots = even weaker angles --> upgrade to even taller stiffer boots = even weaker ankles still constantly prone to rolling and spraining

weak ankles + not tall stiff boots + lots of time outside and working out = strong ankles resistant to rolling and spraining

on top of all that you move faster and hate your life less

"hunting shoes" don't have to be tall, stiff, and heavy

after doing trail running I didn't NEED 8 inch tall ankle support. The Meindl Hiker is just fine . I do like a tall pac boot for snow and Tucking in my pant legs while still hunting.

i do know the 8-10 inch tall boot is the standard for heavy duty work boots. if I have a raised heel, yeah I see that....

Agree with mid height boots and run gaiters. I have skinny ankles and thick calves. I feel the tall boots have more movement than a mid. Just my preference. Gaiters keep the snow and most moisture out.

I wore trail running shoes for most if not all my archery hunts. So much quieter and faster.

weak ankles + tall boots/only ever go outside with tall boots = even weaker angles --> upgrade to even taller stiffer boots = even weaker ankles still constantly prone to rolling and spraining

weak ankles + not tall stiff boots + lots of time outside and working out = strong ankles resistant to rolling and spraining

on top of all that you move faster and hate your life less

"hunting shoes" don't have to be tall, stiff, and heavy
That was the logic applied to high-top BB sneaks versus low-top. There was actually research done that showed more sprained ankles in high-tops....but that was way long ago. (Chuck Taylors were our only choice back in the day)

Wearing 6" & 8" Lowa's these days,the 8"ers are GTX insulated. 10" Kenetrek grizzly pacs for deeper snow and work.
I wear the 6" Caminos everyday now just about. They are closer to 7".

I need kankle support,not calf. Actually new thicker legs would be good...

Gone thru half a dozen light Hikers in NM and none worked. Too light,too low & pincushions.
After reading here, I am going to stick with my Vasque Breeze hikers, 6" or so. They fit well, are comfortable, and if I need to protect my lower legs I can put on gaiters. The Danners are going to get relegated to hiking in the snow, or to my snowshoes. The whittling I had to do on my toenails last night, and the bandaging of toes this morning, portend the end of hunting in the Danners. Check that - the Danners are gone. If I need tall boots, I will get something that won't hurt my feet. Maybe I can get $25 for 'em on Craigslist....

After reading here, I am going to stick with my Vasque Breeze hikers, 6" or so. They fit well, are comfortable, and if I need to protect my lower legs I can put on gaiters. The Danners are going to get relegated to hiking in the snow, or to my snowshoes. The whittling I had to do on my toenails last night, and the bandaging of toes this morning, portend the end of hunting in the Danners. Check that - the Danners are gone. If I need tall boots, I will get something that won't hurt my feet. Maybe I can get $25 for 'em on Craigslist....
Got both pairs of Lowas on Ebay,NIB,half price. Just gotta know your size.

Still waiting for someone to make thigh highs.
yhst-13603801762482_2272_56646298

Back