Why do hunting boots have to be tall?

After reading here, I am going to stick with my Vasque Breeze hikers, 6" or so. They fit well, are comfortable, and if I need to protect my lower legs I can put on gaiters. The Danners are going to get relegated to hiking in the snow, or to my snowshoes. The whittling I had to do on my toenails last night, and the bandaging of toes this morning, portend the end of hunting in the Danners. Check that - the Danners are gone. If I need tall boots, I will get something that won't hurt my feet. Maybe I can get $25 for 'em on Craigslist....
I used Vasque Breeze hikers for a long time, definitely a solid option.

Gaitors make the shorter boots an option for me in NM. They would not work in CA,UT or MT snows.
Waders worked in OR & BC...

I threw my Danners also. Got Kennetrek. You can tighten so tight you’ll speak in a new octave. But you can wear moccasins for all I care to if your worried about boot height. Heck some bow hunters who can’t figure out how to walk quiet go barefoot.

All depends on your use and land. We spent the day traversing cliffs and extremely steep hillsides. The higher tops protect your legs from sticks and rocks. If you aren't scared about sliding down the hill or rock cuts- you likely don't need them.

I've had multiple pairs and that's being nice.
Danners used to be the bee's knees. But that was some 40 years ago. I'm sure what I have would fit someone, but they don't work on my feet, and cinching the upper laces is not what my lower legs care for. The Vasques are not as nice as they once were (again, sigh, 40 years ago), but have a great shank, snug fit, and are cut on a last that somewhat matches my feet. Just wish I'd spent the money on new Vasques instead of the ~$250 I spent on the Danners. Gonna clean em up and post them on Craigslist or Faceplace. Size 11 if anybody here is interested....

My personal take is “hunting” boots tend to be taller because they market “more ankle support” with higher boots. I think a lot of hunters aren’t avid hikers or physically fit with good ankle strength so this is perhaps a selling point.

I think it greatly depends on who you are and your preference and the type of hunting you do. If you are hunting in Montana you are likely going to be doing more “hiking” than actual hunting. I agree with the above posts, I use Crispi Nevada’s which are a mid height boot or standard height hiking boot. Before them I had Danner Talus GTX. Both are about equal in durability, wish they hadn’t discontinued the Talus, didn’t know what a value that boot was when I bought it.
Completely agree!

Kenetrek Mt Extreme and a pair of Zamberlain that's a softer twin of the Kenetreks for western hunts. Lowa Zephyr GTX Hi for TX and Western.

Higher boots for the less fit...haha, boot height for condescension is a new tack.

My husband hunts in trail runners. His feet are always wet and he doesn't seem to mind. I tried hunting in approach shoes and hated every minute of it - love my Danners! The height helps if you're crossing creeks / in mud and definitely supports on steeps. If trail runners with wet feet is your jam though, then you and my husband can rock out with your trenchfoot together ;)

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back