Why can’t you carry a gun while archery hunting deer in Illinois?

DouglasR

• You cannot legally have any firearm in possession while hunting deer with a bow and arrow or crossbow (but see Statewide Regulations on concealed carry handguns).

Just wondering if anyone knows the reason behind this law?
Is squirrel hunting and deer hunting at the same time just too lucrative and they’re afraid everyone will start doing it?

I’d really like to be able to squirrel hunt all day with my bow strapped to my pack, find a nice place to sit and see if anything comes out the last hour of shooting light. 🤷‍♂️

• You cannot legally have any firearm in possession while hunting deer with a bow and arrow or crossbow (but see Statewide Regulations on concealed carry handguns).

Is squirrel hunting and deer hunting at the same time just too lucrative and they’re afraid everyone will start doing it?

I’d really like to be able to squirrel hunt all day with my bow strapped to my pack, find a nice place to sit and see if anything comes out the last hour of shooting light. 🤷‍♂️
Move the hell outta Illinois 😂😂

Stage a dog/squirrel/human attack while you’re bow hunting and then sue the state 😂🤣
Duggie Smollett 😂🤣

It's my understanding that you can carry a gun but if you get caught you have to blame it on Indiana to skate.

Hard to figure that experienced game agents could not easily recognize a broadhead wound from a rifle wound. Maybe the justification is a safety issue?

I agree that this is short-sighted on the part of Illinois DNR. For example, shotgun turkey season coincides with archery deer season. I would like to take my bow along with me incase I see a deer while I am turkey hunting.

I also saw a very nice buck crossing a river 20 yards upstream from me when I was duck hunting. If I'd had a bow I would have taken that shot.

There are plenty of reasons to have a shotgun and a bow with you while you are out in the field or woods.

I agree that this is short-sighted on the part of Illinois DNR. For example, shotgun turkey season coincides with archery deer season. I would like to take my bow along with me incase I see a deer while I am turkey hunting.

I also saw a very nice buck crossing a river 20 yards upstream from me when I was duck hunting. If I'd had a bow I would have taken that shot.

There are plenty of reasons to have a shotgun and a bow with you while you are out in the field or woods.
I’m not criticizing the Dnr, I’m just wondering if there is a why.
Is it stupid to wonder if given our long archery season in conjunction with many concurrent small game and waterfowl seasons that opportunity kills like you mentioned play a roll in this?

Can't carry a gun during California's archery hunts either. Been nearly run over by bears.

Back