Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Why are hot tents so expensive?

Hot tent? Remember to bring pizza. Not much better than fresh elk steak on a stick. Yes I like mine. Condensation is tough, but manageable with some basic techniques. Are they stupid expensive? Yes but all our crap is now. For me I went two routes. I have a small 2 person tarp tent with a liner with a stove jack installed and a Redcliff. Condensation issues are same as normal tent in the tarp tent. But only enough room for me, gear, and stove. No one would spike out with me cause they were too cold. So I got the Redcliff. Pitching on wet ground is tough. But firing up that stove in the morning is awesome.
Ok post over just shot a buck! Almost snuck by lol.

Attachments

• 9C367453-2716-4E3F-9BEF-2308CC12CACA.jpeg
    9C367453-2716-4E3F-9BEF-2308CC12CACA.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 18
I'll throw my 2 cents in on the hot tents as we have a few in our giant herd of tents. As @wllm1313 says, they are not magical unicorns, but I like ours in certain situations. The teepee style one we have is an old Ruta Locura Pentamid I scored of craigslist for cheap. It was imported by Ruta Locura so it isn't the best materials and it is a little heavy being 70d poly, but I do like the design. It was our first lightweight floorless, the price was right so I took a chance. We haven't had a lot of condensation issues with ours when we run the stove, I think our tent vents well enough it takes care of the condensation. The pentamid has a couple 6" screened vents about 2' off the floor, then the top foot of the tent at the peak is open, it just has a bonnet that covers the peak. We guy out the bonnet so it creates a big vent at the top. We took it out a few weeks ago when it was 34 degrees and raining, then freezing overnight, super foggy the next morning. We didn't have any condensation issues and with the stove we were able to dry out all our clothes that got quite wet on the way in. Ours is also big enough you can stand up and move around which is quite nice. As a rifle season spike camp tent, I really like ours.

I run a Jimmy Tarps Hudson. 320 or something. Picked up a Lite Outdoors stove of ebay and used some Tyvek for a floor. Tyvek I ran in the washer and dryer a few times to quiet it. Worked great for what I used it for. Stove was used to warm up after getting back to camp and in the morning to get ready. Didn't run it all night and I sleep really hot anyway and sleep in underwear only and a wool stocking cap.

Yes you can get condensation, but it is manageable as an earlier poster said by allowing some air to travel in from the bottom.

I have memories from 98-02 using a big 12x14 Montana Canvas wall tent in CO and condensation was a nightmare. Literally would drip off the ceiling, but that could be from our lack of experience though.

Tons of condensation comes through the ground if pitched on snow or wet ground. If ground isn’t dry, it’s going to be miserable. Ground cloth helps but doesn’t solve it completely if you have an open floor for a stove.

ultimate solution, buy a hot tent that can run a liner and use a wood stove. Problem solved. That’s what’s I did. You have a hot tent but have all the same benefits of a normal tent. Problem is.....more $$$ on top of the already high cost.

Tons of condensation comes through the ground if pitched on snow or wet ground. If ground isn’t dry, it’s going to be miserable. Ground cloth helps but doesn’t solve it completely if you have an open floor for a stove.

ultimate solution, buy a hot tent that can run a liner and use a wood stove. Problem solved. That’s what’s I did. You have a hot tent but have all the same benefits of a normal tent. Problem is.....more $$$ on top of the already high cost.
I have a luxe mini peak xl 3person with a 1.5 person inner tent. I bought it back in the summer and took it on a September goat hunt. Didn’t get into any snow but hoping the inner tent functions as a double wall and condensation isn’t an issue.

I have a luxe mini peak xl 3person with a 1.5 person inner tent. I bought it back in the summer and took it on a September goat hunt. Didn’t get into any snow but hoping the inner tent functions as a double wall and condensation isn’t an issue.
Have you tried it with the stove at the same time with the liner? Almost got that tent. Went with the stratospire after a lot of back and forth. The tarp tent guy was like “what the hell are you going to do?” When I asked about putting a one person liner in a 2 person tent so I could fit a wood stove. I’m still tempted to buy a hexpeak and try it.

I've been using single wall tents on snow, in the rain, climbing mountains, skiing mountains, hiking across mountain ranges, and sure, condensation happens, but not once has it bothered me

Have you tried it with the stove at the same time with the liner? Almost got that tent. Went with the stratospire after a lot of back and forth. The tarp tent guy was like “what the hell are you going to do?” When I asked about putting a one person liner in a 2 person tent so I could fit a wood stove. I’m still tempted to buy a hexpeak and try it.
I have not. Wasn’t cold enough yet.

I've been trying to buy American made and lifetime warranty when I can, so even though they're about twice the price been leaning towards Seek Outside. I have not researched what kind of profits they make annually, but to me that would be the true measure of whether they're over priced or not--small businesses doing hand manufacturing probably need to charge quite a bit just to survive is my assumption.

Buy a Luxe. You will spend much less than a Seek Outside and the quality is excellent. I loved my Octopeak this fall.

Better take a good hard look at the fine print on a Luxe. They will not accept any returns if the package has been opened. There has been multiple people getting ripped off because of QC issues.
The price difference wasn't that much when I was looking for my first pyramid shelter so I went the route of supporting an American made cottage company. Not only is the product far superior, I have owned an inner from Luxe, but you're paying for customer support.

Thinking about the expense of these tents... Seek Outside sews their tents in the USA. The materials they use are not cheap - they are using better quality fabric than the likes of Big Agnes or whoever, and they aren't buying in the massive kind of bulk of those manufacturers. Labor isn't cheap either. Look seriously into what it would take to sew your own - you'll start to understand the price.

I do not like the hot tent concept for the backcountry, however. I like floorless shelters for some purposes, though, and the expense can be mitigated somewhat by buying used.

For real winter camping, though, I believe nothing beats a double walled tent with a fabric inner and a super lofty sleeping bag. Hilleberg would be my go-to if I was a rich guy.

I use the Nest inside my Cimarron to help keep my sleeping bag dry (acts as a double wall tent plus gives space to keep moisture away) and I use a small sheet of generic house wrap for a floor if weight's not a big issue or I'm worried about condensation coming up from the ground. I've only taken the house wrap once but it's light and I don't care if the stove melts it. I haven't had any issues yet with that system.

I still take my cold weather bag and insulated pad during cold trips, but to me it's worth the weight on the pack in and out to sleep well and have a comfortable tent.

Getting back to a tent with you're cold, wet, and tired knowing you can heat everything up and dry out while cooking dinner is worth the small weight penalty to me. Do not plan on the stove staying lit while you're asleep though, it's meant to warm things up at night and then again before you climb out of bed in the morning. It could save your butt in an emergency too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back