Why are hot tents so expensive?

I agree I’m not sure the SG base camp tent gets you much over a wall tent for truck camping. It’s essentially a rebranded Slingfin, which like North Face or Mountain Hardwear base camp tents has a pretty narrow range of ideal use. Not that it’s not a cool shelter.
Totally it's a lot of $$ and probably something that wouldn't get a ton of use, as it has a pretty niche use case.

My assumption is that a single person can set it up in 10 min, just based on the pics and my experience with m 6p tent. I've never set up a wall tent, but I assume more of a project ?

They are crazy expensive, but look very nice. At 35 pounds I’m not sure I would go that route over a wall tent, especially for a truck camp. If I was packing in on horses I’d probably just bring a wall tent and if packing on llamas I’d rather save the weight and go with a tipi.

My point is that the tipi design isn't really suitable for hot tents period. I wonder if a hot dome solve some of the condensation issues.

I get the desire for heat while backpacking when it's cold or wet as a moral booster, but that's about it. And in that case, just build a fire.

Oh I dunno. These dudes made it work...😏
View attachment 162820

Ok... you win. I was looking for a “touché” not an HT physics lesson 😂

The single thing i hate most about my Seek Outside tipi isn’t the condensation challenge, but rather the need to lay prone to unzip the door. I swear... in 10 years I’m gonna end up selling that thing because it’ll take me 20 minutes just to get out.

I did hunt out of this homemade hot tent over the course of quite a few seasons and in some pretty cold weather without condensation issues. 24' tall and 18' diameter. No such luck with the Redcliff.

Attachments

• PB121737.JPG
    PB121737.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
  • PB101720.JPG
    PB101720.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
Ok... you win. I was looking for a “touché” not an HT physics lesson 😂

The single thing i hate most about my Seek Outside tipi isn’t the condensation challenge, but rather the need to lay prone to unzip the door. I swear... in 10 years I’m gonna end up selling that thing because it’ll take me 20 minutes just to get out.

I cut a 8-10” piece of an arrow and attached it to the zipper with some p cord. Much easier to open and close the zipper

Have you folks talked to Seek Outside about condensation? They have quite a few recommendations to improve it. I don't own a bit teepee but have used them in a few trips and with the wood stove they are pretty amazing. As long as you have good air flow we didn't have any condensation issues. The morale boost of knowing you can get warm and dry certainly makes it easier to slog through the mud and snow longer.

I agree that they're more expensive than they should be. I ended up biting the bullet on a SO 4-man tipi and stove 3 years ago. These were my considerations:

1. Always wanted a wall tent, but 80% of my hunting is alone and I've used them enough to know it'd suck to set it up myself.

2. 5' pickup bed doesn't easily accommodate wall tent poles. Definitely not buying a trailer just to bring my tent along.

3. Fits on the back seat floor of my truck as opposed to wall tent taking 60% of my bed.

4. Set up/take down in 5 minutes to move camp.

5. Stove is great to get a little heat before you get up in the morning. Also like it for drying boots at night.

6. Condensation easily mitigated with liner or allowing some ventilation under the tent perimeter.

There are certainly cons, but overall it fills my niche pretty well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back