Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Why are hot tents so expensive?

i dunno, plenty of demand and of course cause they can charge it

i'm not gonna just say the prices are justified, but i will give a benefit of the doubt in that a high quality material that is that lightweight and waterproof, strong, and properly stitched together to be able to take some serious tension isn't just a glorified rain fly from REI

but still, i agree with ya. i still shelled out for one though

I have a Seek Outside Cimarron tent alone 495.00. Add their carbon pole another 100.00. Stove another 300.00. You can get the complete combo for 899.00. So depending on what you want to spend all at once I believe it is reasonable. Note you do not need their pole if you use tracking poles, a tree limb, or hang from para cord. The cost is high for quality made in the USA and it is not mass produced. They are tuff and with stand weather and wind. I love mine and would not have anything else.

admittedly I hate my hot tent even though I use the hell out of it in the fall. I paid a lot for my setup 5 years ago but I bet I was right at $800. The moment it starts to snow or freezing rain, the whole thing starts to sag and if the guy outs aren't setup tight it's going to touch some of your sleeping gear and then it'll get wet. If you can get the tent hot enough to burn of condensation then you're good but if the condensation freezes expect lots of drips on your gear when you do fire up the stove. Personally, my hot tent is being demoted to fair weather use where a little bit of heat is nice or when I'm actually backcountry camping and I cannot change my plans. I'm actively seeking an alternative when truck camping. https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/crappy-weather-tents-room-to-move.302586/page-3#post-3096660

I really don’t know how well I would like one with the potential condensation issues, but I still want to try a hot tent at some point. Nothing beats a wood stove to dry out wet, snowy clothes.

I purchased a Seek Outside Cimarron tent this year and was wondering if the price I payed was worth it.....I came home glad I had it. We ended up with 14" of snow and below zero temps. We kept the stove going all night and at times it was too hot. It kept the snow melted off and we stayed dry. There was condensation on the inside but we battled that with some small plastic tarps we had brought since we knew the storm was coming. It never did drip on us. It only got us wet when we brushed up on it. It did sag a bit on us but when the storm lifted and the sun came out it dried out pretty good and went back to it original form. I am super happy with my purchase.

I really don’t know how well I would like one with the potential condensation issues, but I still want to try a hot tent at some point. Nothing beats a wood stove to dry out wet, snowy clothes.
If you want something to hang clothes to dry...go big and then double it. In fact if you're not backpack camping, I'd just buy something else and consider something with poles that you can hang stuff from. My Backcountry Shelter doesn't have enough room to hang anything especially if there are more than 1 person trying to also occupy that space

If you want something to hang close to dry...go big and then double it. In fact if you're not backpack camping, I'd just buy something else and consider something with poles that you can hang stuff from. My Backcountry Shelter doesn't have enough room to hang anything especially if there are more than 1 person trying to also occupy that space
That’s good feedback, thanks. I have a wall tent for truck camps and love it. I’d use a tipi for quick solo truck camps and probably some cold weather backpacking.

Am I missing something? Why does a glorified tent fly cost 600 dollars? I find the idea of these pretty intriging, but seems like the tent itself should be a bargain.
Take a look at Luxe gear. I realize they are not American made, but they are a lot more reasonably priced. Thus far we love our hexpeak.

I think it’s more the USA made part that’s expensive in the case of Seek or Kifaru. People were making hot tents out of cheap Golite and BD mids 15-20 years ago, but they were foreign made and most stoves were homemade.

Nothing beats a wood stove to dry out wet, snowy clothes.

Have you heard of this stuff called "wool"... I think it comes from some animal... anyway apparently all the rage ;)

I do agree it's awesome to dry out stuff after late season hunts.

That said I think hot tents create more problems than they solve, aside from the condensation issue there is also the sleeping issue. Those small titanium stoves cool down rapidly, so you are going to get your tent hot, then layer appropriately to sleep at that temperature, then you will wake up a couple hours later freezing. At that point you either need to mess with the stove or add clothes.

Personally I'd rather just come back to the tent immediately get in my bag, cook some dinner, then go to bed and sleep 10 hours. If you get a good bag or setup you can sleep comfortably all night at -5 or whatever no problem, no messing.

I guess if your a boomer with a raging prostate the hot tent makes sense... I reserve the right to 180 on this in 15 years.

Not a fan? Can you elaborate? I’ve been thinking about getting what you have but would love to hear your thoughts, likes/dislikes

Condensation.

I really have no interest in waking up every hour to keep a stove going. Having a heated tent was great when we were awake. When we woke up the next morning it was -6 outside and the entire shelter was covered in frost. Not just a little bit. We got back from scouting and the sun had melted the condensation and everything we owned was wet. I just don't see how you can set up a floorless shelter on top of snow, heat it, sleep in it, and not have condensation. We packed up all of our wet stuff and drove to a hotel to dry everything out. That's where we stayed for the duration of the hunt. I'm sure we could have mitigated some of the condensation by keeping the shelter off the ground by a few inches, but it was windy and -6 was cold enough at night without a windchill in the tent.

Condensation.

I really have no interest in waking up every hour to keep a stove going. Having a heated tent was great when we were awake. When we woke up the next morning it was -6 outside and the entire shelter was covered in frost. Not just a little bit. We got back from scouting and the sun had melted the condensation and everything we owned was wet. I just don't see how you can set up a floorless shelter on top of snow, heat it, sleep in it, and not have condensation. We packed up all of our wet stuff and drove to a hotel to dry everything out. That's where we stayed for the duration of the hunt. I'm sure we could have mitigated some of the condensation by keeping the shelter off the ground by a few inches, but it was windy and -6 was cold enough at night without a windchill in the tent.
This has always been my assumption about how a hot tent trip would play out.

I am curious about Stone Glaciers new 6p hot tent. I think the dome tent is a far better design, esp in terms of condensation management. They cost a small fortune*... but my interest is piqued.

*compared to 3-4 p backpacking tents not compared to other large expedition tents

I think the bug "nest" or liner would be worth the weight penalty if using a single wall hot tent in weather condusive to condensation. Any single wall tent, hot or cold, is going to have condensation issues in some types of weather/conditions.

Still think I want one!

Have you heard of this stuff called "wool"... I think it comes from some animal... anyway apparently all the rage ;)

I do agree it's awesome to dry out stuff after late season hunts.

That said I think hot tents create more problems than they solve, aside from the condensation issue there is also the sleeping issue. Those small titanium stoves cool down rapidly, so you are going to get your tent hot, then layer appropriately to sleep at that temperature, then you will wake up a couple hours later freezing. At that point you either need to mess with the stove or add clothes.

Personally I'd rather just come back to the tent immediately get in my bag, cook some dinner, then go to bed and sleep 10 hours. If you get a good bag or setup you can sleep comfortably all night at -5 or whatever no problem, no messing.

I guess if your a boomer with a raging prostate the hot tent makes sense... I reserve the right to 180 on this in 15 years.
Cold camps are what I’ve always done in the past with some good and some miserable results. I didn’t have a WM bag and an Xtherm pad the last time I backpacked in November though, and I do now. Honestly now that I’m in Wyoming I just don’t backpack in November because of our season timing.

I am curious about Stone Glaciers new 6p hot tent. I think the dome tent is a far better design, esp in terms of condensation management. They cost a small fortune... but my interest is piqued.
They are crazy expensive, but look very nice. At 35 pounds I’m not sure I would go that route over a wall tent, especially for a truck camp. If I was packing in on horses I’d probably just bring a wall tent and if packing on llamas I’d rather save the weight and go with a tipi.

I agree I’m not sure the SG base camp tent gets you much over a wall tent for truck camping. It’s essentially a rebranded Slingfin, which like North Face or Mountain Hardwear base camp tents has a pretty narrow range of ideal use. Not that it’s not a cool shelter.

Back