Why are hot tents so expensive?

Condensation. I really have no interest in waking up every hour to keep a stove going. Having a heated tent was great when we were awake. When we woke up the next morning it was -6 outside and the entire shelter was covered in frost. Not just a little bit. We got back from scouting and the sun had melted the condensation and everything we owned was wet. I just don't see how you can set up a floorless shelter on top of snow, heat it, sleep in it, and not have condensation. We packed up all of our wet stuff and drove to a hotel to dry everything out. That's where we stayed for the duration of the hunt. I'm sure we could have mitigated some of the condensation by keeping the shelter off the ground by a few inches, but it was windy and -6 was cold enough at night without a windchill in the tent.

Unfortunately condensation happens. In some cases it's worse than others. There are ways to deal with it, but it takes knowledge and sometimes extra kit. If you add liners or an inner to a floorless tent then it functions exactly like a doublewall. Neither will breathe like canvas, but they don't weigh as much either. Tradeoffs in everything.

As far as the original question regarding cost - from the inside looking out -

The fabric we use is expensive. The Titanium we use is expensive. The machinery we use is expensive, the upkeep on machinery is expensive. We have really good and superbly trained seamsters and seamstresses and we pay them a living wage. Buildings aren't cheap. Websites aren't cheap. Warranty, returns, etc, etc, etc, etc.

It's easy to get sticker shock looking at a product and not appreciate all the hidden costs that are built into making and servicing it.

Truck top tents....canvas wall tents....very similar.

Many tents made in the asian factories skimp on the fabrics and construction, and depending on the seller the warranty, return, and support are ZERO.

i wonder how those russian bear hot tents are. ive seen a couple videos on them, but im not sure I would choose one of them over say a Kodiak Lodge with vestibule.

Take a look at Luxe gear. I realize they are not American made, but they are a lot more reasonably priced. Thus far we love our hexpeak.
I run a Luxe Hexpeak XL with a titanium stove and 1.5-man inner tent for my solo hunts; solves the condensation issue 99% of the time (except for real heavy snow when the outer sags into the inner) and works like a charm. It is the $800-$900 range full up so not necessarily the cheapest option, but only weighs in at 8.5 lbs and keeps me dry and warm. Well worth it for a good nights sleep.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back