shoes = Red Wing or Cabela's boots
beer = Free
dog breeds = Labs
rap = Not having it
country = Chris LeDoux and others
polka artist = haven't tried it

Go...
Vehicles - Japanese
Shoes - whatever fits best the day I am in the store (high insteps suck)
Dogs - British-style labs
Music - everything from classical to classic rock, except rap and bubblegum pop

[Read in David Attenborough accent]

Ah January, the males of the species spar. The hunting season is far away and as such they have nothing to do until the demands of honey holes and application strategies start flooding in..

There is 100% chance if you own a Creed, you also like this...

View attachment 125695
It's extremely versatile when it comes to hand loading as well. If you can't find your favorite powder you can use any pumpkin spice as a 1:1 substitute.

I kid.

so far these three deserve more than just clicking a like hahahahaha the pumpkin spice!

This is how my time just went.... let me process this RFI before I head to lunch... first i'm going to check HT, just real fast, just to see if there's anything brief... whelp a half hour, a dozen likes and many hard laughs later, guess it's time for lunch hahaha!

I don't have an attachment or opinion on it but I love the controversy it's developed, it's awfully comical.

Social media.
You didn't have the internet, and the kids glued to their devices back then.

To the Creedmoor shooter, my Manbun comments are in jest. No ill will is actually meant.
Just bear in mind, Paul Mauser designed the 6.5X57 around 1893-1894. With modern powders in modern bolt action rifles the "old Mauser" can easily keep up with the Creedmoor.

The ONLY place the Creedmoor shines is in it's design intent. That is seating a long heavy match bullet in an AR magazine, while not impeding into the powder charge.
In otherwords it was designed to fit in AR mags and shoot matches out to 600 yards.

That's it.

It won’t fit in an AR-15. That’s the 6.5 Grendel, which should have been the 6Grendel, which is basically and very slightly improved 6ppc.

The 6.5CM is about the largest non-magnum cartridge that will handle long bullets while fitting in a short action magazine without giving up capacity. The .260Rem is slightly larger, but when seating high BC bullets to mag length, it loses capacity. For custom guns, that’s about the only advantage. For production guns, it was spec’d with throat length and twist that handles those long bullets, so you can shoot high BC bullets right out of the box. With cartridges that were spec’d prior to the popularity of long high BC bullets, you have to get a custom rig to do it. The 6.5x47L was basically built for the same purpose. It’s essentially a 6BR Lapua stretched to 22-250 length. The 6.5CM is slightly larger because it’s based on the .30TC instead of a blownout 22-250. I have always been a little down on the 6.5CM because I think it’s a little underpowered for a 6.5mm used at long range. To me the 6.5x55 and 6.5x57 seemed to be the obvious minimum case for long range competition with a 6.5mm. That said, it really does do a great job for anyone wanting to stick to a short action, and requires nothing custom to be ready to shoot long bullets.

I think the 6CM is a better cartridge. No more need for a 6XC or 6-250AI.

The 6.5x57 will substantially outperform a 6.5CM.

I don’t own a 6.5CM, and don’t really plan on it. I’ve been considering a 22-250 length 6mm at some point. The 6CM would be the easy option. Lots of dies on the secondary market, great brass, easy to get reamer requiring nothing special and little to no wait. I’d rather have a 6RemAI run in 1.850”, but it would be a lot more hassle for little real improvement.

Last edited:
I go back and forth and back and forth between the 7mm-08 and the 6.5 creedmoor for my son's first real big game rifle. I would like to get him a really nice rifle he will keep and cherish the rest of his life so I've been in a paralysis by analysis situation for about a year now trying to decide and figure it out. It doesn't help that he is left eye dominant so I'm looking for a left handed rifle. Still leaning toward the 7mm-08 just for the added ft/lbs of energy and using it as an all around rifle from antelope to elk. I have been reading these 6.5 creedmoor threads with interest but haven't quite gotten there for elk yet although there have been some threads posted showing folks with good success with the 6.5 creedmoor on elk.

I go back and forth and back and forth between the 7mm-08 and the 6.5 creedmoor for my son's first real big game rifle. I would like to get him a really nice rifle he will keep and cherish the rest of his life so I've been in a paralysis by analysis situation for about a year now trying to decide and figure it out. It doesn't help that he is left eye dominant so I'm looking for a left handed rifle. Still leaning toward the 7mm-08 just for the added ft/lbs of energy and using it as an all around rifle from antelope to elk. I have been reading these 6.5 creedmoor threads with interest but haven't quite gotten there for elk yet although there have been some threads posted showing folks with good success with the 6.5 creedmoor on elk.

All modern legal hunting calibers will kill elk at the right distance. Teach your kid right and not to lob bullets out to plinking ranges and either will do the trick. I got my wife/daughter the 7mm/08 because of the options for the reduced recoil loads offered to get comfortable with the rifle. But both rifle calibers are great if used at the right distance.

It won’t fit in an AR-15. That’s the 6.5 Grendel, which should have been the 6Grendel, which is basically and very slightly improved 6ppc.

The 6.5CM is about the largest non-magnum cartridge that will handle long bullets while fitting in a short action magazine without giving up capacity. The .260Rem is slightly larger, but when seating high BC bullets to mag length, it loses capacity. For custom guns, that’s about the only advantage. For production guns, it was spec’d with throat length and twist that handles those long bullets, so you can shoot high BC bullets right out of the box. With cartridges that were spec’d prior to the popularity of long high BC bullets, you have to get a custom rig to do it. The 6.5x47L was basically built for the same purpose. It’s essentially a 6BR Lapua stretched to 22-250 length. The 6.5CM is slightly larger because it’s based on the .30TC instead of a blownout 22-250. I have always been a little down on the 6.5CM because I think it’s a little underpowered for a 6.5mm used at long range. To me the 6.5x55 and 6.5x57 seemed to be the obvious minimum case for long range competition with a 6.5mm. That said, it really does do a great job for anyone wanting to stick to a short action, and requires nothing custom to be ready to shoot long bullets.

I don’t own a 6.5CM, and don’t really plan on it. I’ve been considering a 22-250 length 6mm at some point. The 6CM would be the easy option. Lots of dies on the secondary market, great brass, easy to get reamer requiring nothing special and little to no wait. I’d rather have a 6RemAI run in 1.850”, but it would be a lot more hassle for little real improvement.

Nice read, thanks for posting.

I'd choose the 7mm-08 for a couple of reasons. It will kill just as dead, and do what you need it to do. It's a nice little cartridge without a bunch of recoil. If the kid leaves his box of ammo on the dresser, you can pick up a box most places, with a good selection of bullets. It has a good established reputation for as a all around caliber up to elk. Just my opinion. There are folks on this site that know more than I do, but some would agree.

7mm-08 is not as powerful as a Creedmoor why would you even recommend that. I’ve got a buddy who has a friend who killed a moose with a 6.5, no reason to go 7mm.

I got in an actual, heated argument with someone that told me their 6.5 cm shooting a 140gn bullet @ the speed of smell had more energy than my .338 lapua shooting a 285gn bullet @ 2900fps. the person also told me that anything he sees within 1200 yds is as good as dead......This is the reason for the 6.5cm hate. truth be told, i own one and my GF shoots it well. its an ok deer rifle that does NOTHING any other similar cartridge can't do.

I got in an actual, heated argument with someone that told me their 6.5 cm shooting a 140gn bullet @ the speed of smell had more energy than my .338 lapua shooting a 285gn bullet @ 2900fps. the person also told me that anything he sees within 1200 yds is as good as dead......This is the reason for the 6.5cm hate. truth be told, i own one and my GF shoots it well. its an ok deer rifle that does NOTHING any other similar cartridge can't do.
I love my 6.5cm and that’s all I use to hunt but that guy needs his hunting rights revoked...

7mm-08 is not as powerful as a Creedmoor why would you even recommend that. I’ve got a buddy who has a friend who killed a moose with a 6.5, no reason to go 7mm.

Just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Everyone has a friend or a buddy that has done something. :)

My buddy built a 6.5 in the AR platform. It is on the AR-10-type frame, though. On a standard AR, you are correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back