Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Who's ready to ski!

My life has 3 seasons - hiking (May-Aug), hunting (Sep-Nov) and skiing (Nov-Apr). All in alpine climates. Rinse and repeat.
when I toured more, or at all, it was certainly more enjoyable, but it pretty much terrifies me, and we have a much safer snow pack than many places. I keep talking about getting Hoks, and if I ever actually pull the trigger, that might bring some more fun back into it.

I'm not going to lie, though I have a season pass, and have had one for several years now, by the 5th or 6th day on the hill I find skiing to be pretty boring. I'd much prefer to snowbird and mess around in the desert in the winter
The last couple years I downgraded to a 5 day pass and was struggling to motivate the last couple days, I even stopped before the last lift, which would leave my 19 year old self shaking his head in disappointment...
not that resort skiing isn't fun, it might be too much type one fun, no suffering to keep me coming back?
I got my 100 day season in while I was still in high school and I think that ruined me, I'll never be that good again, I get on a board now and my brain expects me to be able to drive it like I did then, but my body doesn't get the memo.

Touring was all I wanted to do for a couple winters but the longer I have done it the more scared I get, our snowpack is about as dangerous as it gets, almost everyone I tour with has had a close call, it makes alpine climbing look safe...

Last edited:
The last couple years I downgraded to a 5 day pass and was struggling to motivate the last couple days, I even stopped dofore the last lift, which would leave my 19 year old self shaking his head in disappointment...
not that resort skiing isn't fun, it might be too much type one fun, no suffering to keep me coming back?
I got my 100 day season in while I was still in high school and I think that ruined me, I'll never be that good again, I get on a board now and my brain expects me to be able to drive it like I did then, but my body doesn't get the memo.

Touring was all I wanted to do for a couple winters but the longer I have done it the more scared I get, our snowpack is about as dangerous as it gets, almost everyone I tour with has had a close call, it makes alpine climbing look safe...
I grok this...

I can't remember the last time I skied bell to bell, I think partially it's because I grew up skiing with a big group of friend and now I mostly ski solo and it's just not the same.

Finally got a new pair of skis this year after a decade, and I mounted an AT setup but while skiing in CO I imagine it would be mostly used for up- hilling the resort before it opens. I've lost a couple of friends and the appeal of the CO backcountry is totally gone for me.

View attachment 309582

View attachment 309583

View attachment 309587

View attachment 309588

oh good idea. never thought to drive for 4-8 hours for a day of skiing. another $1-$2k on lodging ain't no big deal to make the drive worth it so you can hopefully pull off a full day of skiing

View attachment 309592
Dude, your missing the hidden gem, the Pearl of the Rockies, aka Eldora! I gave up on the I70 grind from Boulder the last couple of years I lived there. Started hitting the Pearl and it was awesome. If you're into backcountry, there is some good stuff there and very few access it.

when I toured more, or at all, it was certainly more enjoyable, but it pretty much terrifies me, and we have a much safer snow pack than many places. I keep talking about getting Hoks, and if I ever actually pull the trigger, that might bring some more fun back into it.

I have never skied but look at Hoks every winter. Would be a lot of places to explore around here with them.

Broke my leg when I was 5 skiing.
55 years years later still skiing.
Oops forgot about the yard sale in '87 resulting in broken Fibula. Picked up Telemark in '90.
Still hammering ( ish)dropping a knee.
Disposable income? Ha.

Waiting for a decent base this year.
Free your heels, free your mind

• Love
Reactions: Hem
I've lost a couple of friends and the appeal of the CO backcountry is totally gone for me.

the appeal was never there for me.

that's a lie. i pondered buying a set up and taking avy courses. but it was a brief pondering. i actually think that pondering occurred the same season six guys died on loveland pass in one avalanche. and what like half of them were avy instructors?

Dude, your missing the hidden gem, the Pearl of the Rockies, aka Eldora! I gave up on the I70 grind from Boulder the last couple of years I lived there. Started hitting the Pearl and it was awesome. If you're into backcountry, there is some good stuff there and very few access it.

we are considering starting to go to eldora. also snowy range.

but as much as i blame me not going anymore on the ridiculous state of colorado resorts, their prices, the access to them, and the absolutley obnoxious culture around it all, i'm also just mostly kinda over it - the passion has subsided.

will at least provide the opportunity for my kids to develop the same passion i had for it in middle school, high school, and college when they're at the age to start learning.

if my parents had a condo in summit county tho... yeah we'd probably be buying passes still.

Skies parted and the sun was out for the first hour this morning before the next squall rolled in. Super fun morning! Lots more snow in the forecast!

View attachment 309670
Listen here bucko, if you turn this into a tourism campaign for UT I'm gonna shut-r-down. No one wants to hear about how good you have it. Keep it to yourself!

Back