Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Who kills big bucks without scouting ?

Moosie

Grand poopa
Just wondering if anyone goes out and Kills a Big buck without scouting and/or doing intensive research ?

big bucks in the area i hunt are rare if any way to many poachers. used to be a lot of deer in that area. not no more, fuggin poachers :BLEEP: :MAD . dang DNR to stupid.

Well if you mean pre-scouting.....then maybe the day or two before my hunt...depending on the area.....I pretty much know the area`s i hunt and only apply for hunts that have alot of game deer/elk or whatever i`m after.... for instance in the kaibab az or unit #1 or 6a i have been scouting those units for 35years so unless there is a dramatic weather change i know where to go.... but i will say its always good to go up 1-2 days [at least] before the hunt and have a look at things... my deer campspot is 316 miles from my house......?

I hunt public ground that I Know fairly well, turkey in spring, fish in summer, and upland prior to deer season. So no, I don't scout but I do keep my eyes open.

I dont scout my whitetail spot in Montana...but I've hunted it for 26 years. I kind of have an idea where to look.

Mule deer, absolutely scout as much as possible.

I plan on spending 7 days before the Coues deer season in Arizona scouting/glassing. I hope to be done hunting on Dec. 16 but have until Dec. 31 if necessary.

Pretty much the same here as with Buzz. When we hunt whities, we pretty much have figured out where to be so it's not really to big of a deal.

Mulies are a different story though. I spend 90% of my time and effort, scouting, hunting and chasing those damn things around throughout the year. Maybe someday I'll get sick of em, and decide to add a lil diversity to the den of death... :rolleyes:

Doubtful.

I don't scout because the season's I hunt have been preceded by a month of archery, 9 days of muzzleloader, a 5 day rifle elk hunt and another 11 day deer and elk combination hunt. If you think a buck or bull is going to be anywhere near the same spot he was in early fall, your peeing uphill in a strong wind. I have learned to root out likely looking buck honey holes mainly by anticipating where they go when pressured by so many hunters. I must be doing something right.

I don't scout much in MT anymore, but used to a lot. I'm scouting for an early hunt I have in Wyoming this fall, and will hopefully get a few days of scouting in, before season in Arizona. Hopefully it helps. From the looks of it down there, a rut rifle mule deer hunt with 50% success of killing a deer.. scouting probably helps.

My Father in law and Brother in law do. It absolutely kills me. They putz around, get on the hill around 9 pm and usually shoot the 1st buck they see. They have got 3 very large bucks out of the same area. The last one was an old, heavy 30" 3x3 buck.

T-bone, thats the spot I'm hunting this year. (I know, I've said that in years past) but I finally am Comitted to it. I will do the Hunt due dilligence and hike to the top of ... Well..... Let's call it the "G"-spot, (think of the Mountain name and the Fake names catchy eh ? :p ) and Camp. I'm planning a solo 4 dayer back in there. Oct 29th-31st. Although alot depends on the weather. I might make a few trips in there earlier. Those guys hunt the Draw up the bottom and the rightside off the ridge, I plan to hunt the Backside and the Breaks in the Top of the Basin above "X" creek in the back. It is also the first year I'll go scout it too :)

I'm also planning to be back in there when the guys come from the bottom Sat and Sunday morning..... We'll see.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back