Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Who is muzzleloader hunting Colorado in 2016 ?

Going to be hunting with my new CVA Wolf 50.plain and simple and a great shooter and the weight does not break you down to carry it all day.

I have a Muzzy Bull tag, however as you may see in another post, I'm having issues with my CVA rifle detonating the percussion cap. The other issue I have is accuracy. I used to shoot a Hawken rifle with a patch & ball many years ago, so when I was re-introduced to Muzzy hunting Elk with this CVA inline rifle, I was excited to see these Powerbelt bullets that don't need a patch or lube.
Now, it seems as though some are saying Powerbelt bullets aren't very accurate. That's been my experience as well, and I'm using a Lead Sled on my range for starters to get familiar with the rifle and sighting in. If you can't shoot a tight group out of a Lead Sled, somethings wrong, as obviously a Lead Sled minimizes problems less related to the guy pulling the trigger.
So, is there an alternative bullet that doesn't need a patch, and works better than the Powerbelts? I'm open to suggestions, as I'll have to buy more bullets this Summer for practice and hunting. Thanks!

I guess I need to figure out what .54 caliber projectile I want to launch, as I'll have an opportunity to swing by Cabela's soon. I'd rather just buy over the counter than pay the shipping. I just can't get the Powerbelts to give my a tight pattern. I begin my practice with a Lead Sled, so I'm not wanting to lay all the blame on myself. How many grains of powder are you shooting, and what specific powder do you recommend? I think I've been using FFG powder size, but wonder if the Pyrodex is the way to go?

My wife has a plains either sex muzzy deer tag. She loves her CVA Wolf as well. I put ghost ring sights on it and her patterns tightened right up.

Dumb question for future planning (2017) do you need preference points to draw muzzleloader hunts in units in southern colorado that have public land?

I'm thinking of applying next year in case I fail to draw a bull here in NM for the 5th year running.

yep, i like to hunt unit 84 and now have 3 pref points after this last draw. Its getting to where i can only hunt every 2-3 years for deer/elk.

Unit 85 has OTC bull tags, but hunting this place for bulls is hard due to the crappy land we get to hunt LOL. Theres a map that shows where you can hunt OTC bulls during rifle season.

I'm chomping at the bit to see the leftover tag list. Me and my wife were supposed to be out of town during antelope muzzy season so we didn't put in for those tags. Hopefully there will be some good muzzy leftovers nearby for us. They are usually doe tags, but that doesn't matter.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back