Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Who hunts or wants to hunt big game with a handgun?

Ernie

How many handgun hunters do we have here, for deer and any other big game?

I believe a new member bcgunworks is strictly a handgun hunter from what I've collected from his posts. Some pretty impressive handgun hunting at that! I hope I didnt butcher his username. I think I got it right.

Chris does quite well with any kind of handgun he chooses to shoot or hunt with.

I've carried my Redhawk deer hunting a few times but never used it. Had a chance but was too slow. Danged doe snuck up behind me and was 20 feet away looking at me with my revolver by my side.

I have taken whitetails, black bears, and elk with various 44 revolvers and a couple of whitetails and a mountain goat with a 10” T/C Contender in 30-30.

Three whitetails and a mulie in our weapons restricted areas down in the river bottoms, all with .44 Magnums. When my eyes were younger and fully functional I used an open-sighted 6-inch S&W Model 29, now I'm using a 6-inch Model 629 with a 2x pistol scope.

I learned a lot from my mistakes the first go-round. I shot a forkhorn mulie at about 75-80 yards with a factory 240-grain JHP. My shot was a bit too far forward and rather than a double-lunger behind the shoulder I hit the shoulder blade itself. The JHP essentially destroyed the leg...it was literally hanging by a tendon...but not so much as a bullet fragment ever managed to penetrate the rib cage to the vitals. This resulted in a long stern chase of about three quarters of a mile until I caught up to the deer in a draw and was able to finish the job with a spine shot as he came up the other side.

Now I don't use anything but 300-grain Wide Flat Nose WFN hardcast bullets loaded to 1,150 fps, which is also my bear load. With the scope, I zero it at 100 yards, which puts me only 2 inches high at mid-range and 4.4 inches low at 125. Just bagged a whitetail doe last Saturday at 112 yards, the big WFN went in one side of the boiler room and out the other, and she managed only a couple of jumps before she piled up. I might try for a cow elk if I get the chance.

Randy did a podcast interview with Todd Orr, who's a really hardcore outdoorsman who's hunted elk with a handgun for many years and harvested some really nice ones.

Friend of mine shot the biggest deer of his life on the 15th with a 44 Mag. He hit in the front shoulder with a 180g Hornady XTP. That deer went a mile and a half before we ran out of permission to keep tracking it.

I did the math and at 120y he hit the deer with around 450 lbs of energy. Not enough to penetrate the should blade and enter the chest cavity. Needless to say he is switched back to a shotgun.

I’ve taken a Pronghorn and a black bear with a 44 mag revolver, many years ago. Been away from it for 30 years. Several years ago, bought a new revolver and really want to get back into it! I was going to get a deer this year, nothing special....just a deer. Didn’t get to hunt. Still have an elk tag.....but, that’s starting to look doubtful also! Life gets in the way of life! memtb

I find no limitations in hunting with a handgun....but it does take more time in the off season.

Fact is the average Hunter starts having trouble with a long gun at 200 yards....I said average....not pointing a finger at anyone.

I put in thousands....that’s no exaggeration...of rounds in off season practice. I hunt vermin with the same handguns I use for big game.

If I can hit vermin such as pdogs or ground hogs at my desired max range with a particular firearm then big game vitals won’t be an issue.

I prefer to be under 200 yards when I take game...it just increases the likelihood of a clean kill.

I will also always seek out a supported shot. Could be using things in the field like rocks or trees, shooting sticks, or the tripod for the spotting scope.

Depending on the gun and load I’ll use wheelguns to 200 yards.

Since a handgun doesn’t weigh as much or take up as much space I generally carry a single shot in my pack for longer shots if I can’t close the distance. Sometimes in the open country of Wyoming it’s just not possible.

A TC contender can get me to about 400 yards depending on the cartridge and a single shot xp100 can get to distances I wouldn’t even care to try on game.

838AA216-3054-4C49-BBE5-F4AB6187975F.jpeg6881A695-DBAA-498F-8E6C-ED15DC805282.jpegB2AF1A3C-076A-40B2-8CC1-92054C3CB472.jpeg420016D4-9D6F-41CB-8B08-4612465D8208.jpeg31EDBFD8-F44A-4ED0-8262-398BEA5FC716.jpegC8643570-9671-4D79-80ED-0021E83786E1.jpegB3DFDDA4-BF16-4347-BE4B-70694B876672.jpeg82DCB98E-25DE-4CCB-9D86-BB81953FFB28.jpegB28E6652-E260-4CEF-953A-857E20DAA2A2.jpeg

Absolutely one of my favorite types of hunting is putting the sneak on a sounder of hogs with my Ruger Blackhawk .357.

I do. Deer, hogs, coyotes. Mostly us a New Model Blackhawk in 45 Colt. Shoot 250 gr. flat, hard lead. Sometimes I like to take a Uberti in 45 Colt and sneak up on the hogs. That is a blast.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back