Who here knows Remington 700s?

I don’t think it’s a replacement but again, I don’t know much. Ask me about tikkas and Sakos and Beretta shotguns, but I don’t know much about this platform. All in it for learning
That is a factory trigger with a non bolt locking safety. Someone definitely adjusted it also. Hopefully properly.
I would recommend cleaning the trigger also. Remove it from the action and flush it with brake cleaner.

That is a factory trigger with a non bolt locking safety. Someone definitely adjusted it also. Hopefully properly.
I would recommend cleaning the trigger also. Remove it from the action and flush it with brake cleaner.
Pardon my questions, but how can you tell just by looking at it that it’s been adjusted?

And I’ll definitely do that. I cleaned the rest of the rifle because it was filthy and it’s doing a lot better. It’s a very smooth action which I was not expecting.

Pardon my questions, but how can you tell just by looking at it that it’s been adjusted?

And I’ll definitely do that. I cleaned the rest of the rifle because it was filthy and it’s doing a lot better. It’s a very smooth action which I was not expecting.

The adjustment screws in the front of the trigger are sealed from factory as well as the adjustment screw on the rear. The bottom front one is the trigger pull weight and the top is over travel.
Is the sear adjustment in the rear still sealed?

The face of the action looks trued up, at the very least. I think the lugs were lapped as well. I’d have to do some testing to find out for sure.

I’d get it in 280 AI most likely. I already have all the loading stuff for it and it limits having too many cartridges.
I like your idea. I bought a left hand 700 LSS in 30-06 several years ago with the plan to make it into a 280 AI. I finally shot it in 30-06 form a couple years ago and I almost scuttled my original plan because it shot so well with heavy bullets. However, I just don’t want a 30-06, so I am continuing on towards my goal of transforming it into a 280 AI. It will go into the KS stock I posted a photo of earlier with a KS contour barrel I have on order from Benchmark.

The adjustment screws in the front of the trigger are sealed from factory as well as the adjustment screw on the rear. The bottom front one is the trigger pull weight and the top is over travel.
Is the sear adjustment in the rear still sealed?
I’m not sure. I put it all back together and I’m not going to take it apart til I shoot it on monday or tuesday. Thanks for the info

I like your idea. I bought a left hand 700 LSS in 30-06 several years ago with the plan to make it into a 280 AI. I finally shot it in 30-06 form a couple years ago and I almost scuttled my original plan because it shot so well with heavy bullets. However, I just don’t want a 30-06, so I am continuing on towards my goal of transforming it into a 280 AI. It will go into the KS stock I posted a photo of earlier with a KS contour barrel I have on order from Benchmark.
I have a 280 AI already, but I drank the Kool-Aid and now I want another. I like your plan too. I’m going to get my uncle to rebarrel it because he does a very good job and he gives discounts to family. I think he keeps a supply of Shilen barrels in different diameters and twists so it shouldn’t be too long til I have it done.

The very early m700 triggers have a saftey lever that locks the bolt. It’s a feature that some like and some don’t. It’s also very easy to trim the saftey lever to allow the bolt to be opened while on safe.
Your 1982 model is a non locking saftey though if it’s a factory trigger.
It could also be an aftermarket trigger. Got a pic of it?
Here is a pic of a Remington trigger with the safety that locks the bolt when engaged. Your bolt should have a groove in it.if you have this feature. If it's a feature you'd like to have you could always have a slot milled into the bolt.

ZU3VBLU.jpg

Installed. I think this trigger is an older Shilen, but you just installed the safety with the Remington factory parts.

DYALi0t.jpg

Safety used after the bolt locking version.

DJB82Wn.jpg

Last edited:
I got the rifle out to the range during my lunchbreak.

I bought a cheapo box of Federal Power Shok 130 gr from the gun store in town.

I started to get a good 3-shot group and decided to add 9 more shots just to see if it could handle long strings of fire.

Mind you, I didn’t wait in between shots and I didn’t practice good discipline while doing this, so I bet the group would have shrunk if I had.

I handled the session poorly, but the rifle shoots.

I bet it could shoot like a dream with quality ammunition, or even an average handload. However, this was just a test to see what I bought. I’ll still rebarrel it.

Attachments

• 4D41945D-B5E8-473D-A55F-3BBD05DE412F.jpeg
    4D41945D-B5E8-473D-A55F-3BBD05DE412F.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
Back