Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Who has a rem 700 sps

drahthaar

How do you like it??

In the market to trade off/sell a NIB Win M70 .325 that I won at a banquet. Just not too keen on this "oddball" caliber, cripes by the way people talk it may not even be around in 5 years. Looking at 300 wsm, 300 wm, 338 wm, for the day I get to head north and hunt something BIG, but which one is a whole different coversation.

So I was down at sportsmans fondling all the different guns, this sps is a bit cheaper, the stainless was $600. What are you getting with the more expensive XHR, XCR, etc, other than the fancy camo stock, and the special coating on the barrel?

Honestly I haven't bought a rifle in 15 years, just been shooting the "ol '06". I usally abide by the saying you get what you pay for, so was wondering if sps stood for "special piece of sh......", and you need to pay $1000+ to get a shooter off the shelf.

Did a search on here for some old threads, but just thought I would throw it out there.

A friend of mine has one that he really likes. I've shot it some and was very impressed with its out of the box accuracy, it is one of the most accurate factory rifles I've shot. I truthfully think you are right on the money that the only difference between the SPS and the others you mentioned are finish related.

The other thing the SPS does is give you a cheaper option if you plan to do some upgrades in the future like a different stock, custom barrel, etc; it also gives you some more money to spend on a better scope.

Nohtng wrong with the Special Purpose Synthetic. Good glass & and a little trigger tuning....

They don't carry hawkeyes up there?

I didn't get that far down the way. I looked at Rem, Tikka, Sako, Kimber, then got preoccupied in the Ar-15s, then came to my senses and had to run back to the office.

I would never claim to know a dang thing about the details of all these rifles. You know how the internet is, you read long enough you will find an opinion on anything, but I seem to really like the info a guy gets here.

I liked the Kimber as well, I like the wood stocks. But the stock on my rifle looks like a barbarian's club, I would like to try a synthetic, stainless weatherproff type rifle once.

And then on to the caliber, oh gosh.

drathaar, I've been shooting a Winchester Model 70 in the .325WSM for about five years now. I've found it to be a pretty versatile caliber. Have you shot it at all?

I didn't get that far down the way. I looked at Rem, Tikka, Sako, Kimber, then got preoccupied in the Ar-15s, then came to my senses and had to run back to the office.

I would never claim to know a dang thing about the details of all these rifles. You know how the internet is, you read long enough you will find an opinion on anything, but I seem to really like the info a guy gets here.

I liked the Kimber as well, I like the wood stocks. But the stock on my rifle looks like a barbarian's club, I would like to try a synthetic, stainless weatherproff type rifle once.

And then on to the caliber, oh gosh.

My comment came off like I'm an ass, my bad. What I meant to say was that if I were looking at that price range, I'd look Ruger. The tikka would also be a good buy, but I notice you checked those out, so I'm assuming the sps stuck out more for you. I'm going to have a kimber at some point too, probably the best all around design of any factory gun you can buy, really awesome set up.

Definitely make sure you check out a ruger before you buy though, lots of great reviews and I absolutely love my MKII.

Nope, haven't shot it. Its been in the box since I took it home that night. I have no doubt that it would be great for an Alaskan moose, grizzly, elk, etc. It just doesn't seem to be "taking off" as a fan favorite, and I am afraid it will go by the wayside, then finding ammo for it will be difficult, and i don't reload as of yet. I just figured it would be better to sell it/trade it as NIB. So I am just pushing the issue right now to dump it for one of those common calibers. I know, its weird.

Justdada, want it for a future hunt to Alaska or Canada.

My comment came off like I'm an ass, my bad. What I meant to say was that if I were looking at that price range, I'd look Ruger. The tikka would also be a good buy, but I notice you checked those out, so I'm assuming the sps stuck out more for you. I'm going to have a kimber at some point too, probably the best all around design of any factory gun you can buy, really awesome set up.

Definitely make sure you check out a ruger before you buy though, lots of great reviews and I absolutely love my MKII.

LOL. No stress here. I will take a look. Is that the rifle you posted in my trail cam thread?

I kept shouldering different rifles, the sps just felt better than the others. I wish these rifles had bigger thicker forearms, more like a shotgun, not that its important as likeing the feel when shouldering a nice shotgun.

LOL. No stress here. I will take a look. Is that the rifle you posted in my trail cam thread?

I kept shouldering different rifles, the sps just felt better than the others. I wish these rifles had bigger thicker forearms, more like a shotgun, not that its important as likeing the feel when shouldering a nice shotgun.

Yeah that's the rifle I do almost all of my hunting with. The hawkeyes have better triggers, a different finish, and a little different stock design. Exact same barrel and action though. I wouldn't really recommend going laminate like I did though, nice and stiff but heavy, and mine doesn't have any checkering which would be nice.

If you're into thick forearms, might wanna check out one of the hogue stocked rugers. Kinda bulky and heavy, but absorb recoil very well and have that thicker forearm.

Last edited:
If you're into thick forearms, might wanna check out one of the hogue stocked rugers. Kinda bulky and heavy, but absorb recoil very well and have that thicker forearm.

That's what schmalts said about AZ402...

Had a 700 sps it was a decent rifle.If your looking for a good factory rifle check out the new savage line.Out of the box it is the closest thing you will get to a custom gun.Floated barrel,accutrigger,accustock,and floated bolt head.I know when you hear savage you think cheap but I just purchased a 25-06 111fcns and I would have to say it feels and looks like one of the best factory rifles I have ever bought.Havnt shot it yet but savages are known for out of the box accuracy.

I'f you're a solid Remington fan, then go for it, but the market has changed quite a bit in the last few years and Remington is not making the most accurate, lightest weight, and best-valued gun any more.

I'd take a Tikka T3 over an SPS any day and I'd definately buy a Sako A7 before I'd get one of the XCRs.

I'm afraid Remington is starting down the same path that Winchester did a few decades back. They are relying on name recognition alone to sell products. That will catch up with them eventually. Don't get me wrong, the 700 action is still fabulous, but when you look at the whole picture, other rifles have them beat quite well.

That's what schmalts said about AZ402...

It's thick but it's not the forearms schmalts is into.........bastage:D

P.S. You wont go wrong with any of the rifles mentioned.

Went and checked out the Sako 85 Finlight today, WOW, great feel, big price too. I just don't think I can get past the detatchable mag. I can see my self dropping magazines with 20 bucks worth of bullets all over the woods.

Did you try the mag on the 85?...you have to push in on the magazine and trip the release simultaneously..I have a stnlss/syn 85, it would be very difficult to lose a mag accidentally. . Fine weapon, worth the money IMHO. I have the 75 Finnligh also...you simply trip the release...never a problem with it either.

Last edited:
Did you try the mag on the 85?...you have to push in on the magazine and trip the release simultaneously..I have a stnlss/syn 85, it would be very difficult to lose a mag accidentally. . Fine weapon, worth the money IMHO. I have the 75 Finnligh also...you simply trip the release...never a problem with it either.

NO, that is good to know, they didn't have any of the mags in the rifles. It had a $1500 price tag on it, is that in the ballpark?

NO, that is good to know, they didn't have any of the mags in the rifles. It had a $1500 price tag on it, is that in the ballpark?

Yep....ableammo.com has em at 1638 in the magnum action. Looks like they've gone up since I purchased.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back