Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

who do you hunt for--why do you hunt

Married to a non-hunting spouse, I've struggled to answer this Cartesian question to my satisfaction, let alone hers. The best I had come up with was to analogize it to an expensive gym membership - wherein you're really paying for the motivation to do what you should be able to do on your own.

Could I appreciate the natural world without seeking to kill part of it? Absolutely, but the question is whether I would. Without the required investment of equipment and tags, and the limitations of season, I would not wake up early to go sit in the woods or in a blind on a cold morning before the sun rises just to watch and see what happens. Maybe it worked for Thoreau, but he I am not. Yet this argument does not satisfy me because it highlights the egoism of the endeavor.

But then Big Fin came into my orbit with his line about being an active participant on the landscape. I think that captures another element that would be denied in a world of just watching. Rinella's podcast with Bracy Hill was also very intriguing - in that I think there's something to the ideas that civilization as enabled by agrarianism is a recent concept for our species and that we have not shed our hunting instincts.

If I had more free time, I'd spend it digging into the history, and implications, of the millenia-long (6,000-year?) struggle in society between hunting and agrarianism.

A feeling that swells the closer fall gets since I started hunting ducks when I was ten. It's an unexplainable urge, the benefits to me are:
Family time
Organic meat
Challenge, physical and mental
Dog work

I'll always be chasing that feeling of coming back into hunting camp as a kid for hot dinner, granddad playing his harmonica, a buck or two cooling in the trees by camp. I'll never get there again, but I'd feel emptier yet if I didn't try.

Well that and also big mule deer antlers look cool.

I hunt because it quiets me. It helps me be the man I want to be, and gives me an avenue to share that with those who mean the most to me, and that's something that's not easy for me. It's not something I can really explain, but through time spent hunting, relationships strengthen, and I think it's allowed me to be a better husband, father, brother, and son. There are many aspects I enjoy, but none anywhere near as important.

It's not something I can answer in words, or even need to answer to anyone but myself.

The best I can describe is when I'm sitting at the bottom of a tree, and a tom turkey rattles off a few gobbles, and the sun is just breaking the skyline...the world is right, God is good, and it doesn't get any better.

God is great,Beer is Good and people are Crazy! 😎

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back