Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Whistle Blown on Tennessee CWD

Saying "wack jobs" is an immature ways of discrediting someone's opinion that you do not agree with. We need to look at both sides and realize we ourselves can and have been wrong before. And then be willing to look at information from those that we disagree with with an open mind. We as people are all bias, it doesn't matter if someone has a degree in any given subject or not. I have family with high level degrees who have such bias that the facts just do not matter to them. When someone has a vested interest in something it's nearly impossible for them to change their mind.
You know not what you speak. First, I wasn’t the one who started using the term “whack job” in this thread. Hence the clear use of quotation marks.

Second, you have no idea what I’m even referring too, or specifically what “whack jobs” I’m referring too, or what they’re doing.

Third, not all opinions deserve respect, some opinions need to be fought against. Surely, a brief look into history will highlight this.

Last edited:
1) Reduce mature buck numbers = slower spread/lower prevalence. 2) Reduce deer densities = slower spread/lower prevalence In my opinion the jury is still out on these concepts on wild herds and it’s evolving science at this point. Disagree?
The biggest issue I had with this is the solution was we have to stick with the same management we have been doing since the 70's.

@Hunting Wife has there been any research to your knowledge on predators that eat CWD infected deer? Do they carry the prions but aren’t affected? do they become infected with CWD?
Aside from the link @Oak posted, I have not seen anything super optimistic about predators and CWD. Because CWD positive animals are likely positive and shedding infectious prions into the environment for some number of months prior to being symptomatic, it’s not clear whether predators will reduce the frequency of infection or not. Because we are talking about a pathogen that is shed and remains infectious in the environment for a long time, it’s kind of unclear right now how much of an impact predators might have on the epidemiology of the disease. The nuances of chronic disease that persists in the environment vs acute disease with direct transmission from animal to animal are vastly different, and the effects of predators under these two scenarios are also likely going to be vastly different.

But if there is a solution out of this CWD mess, I would bet money that people with those “high level degrees” will be the ones that find it.

I agree, SAJ (assuming a solution is possible and/or needed).

They will also likely be funded and directed by a company rather than government agency.

Last edited:
Aside from the link @Oak posted, I have not seen anything super optimistic about predators and CWD. Because CWD positive animals are likely positive and shedding infectious prions into the environment for some number of months prior to being symptomatic, it’s not clear whether predators will reduce the frequency of infection or not. Because we are talking about a pathogen that is shed and remains infectious in the environment for a long time, it’s kind of unclear right now how much of an impact predators might have on the epidemiology of the disease. The nuances of chronic disease that persists in the environment vs acute disease with direct transmission from animal to animal are vastly different, and the effects of predators under these two scenarios are also likely going to be vastly different.
Thank you.

I think it is possable, maybe even likely that predators like coyotes can detect a CWD positive animal before they ever start to show symptoms. If there is any difference in the smell of a CWD positive animal predators would likely learn fairly quickly that CWD positives are potental target. Dogs can detect cancer in humans long before symptoms show up, could be the same with CWD. Hard to say what the effect would be.

I agree, SAJ (assuming a solution is possible and/or needed).

They will also likely be funded and directed by a company rather than government agency.
I’ll take the other side of that bet. I’m not even sure why you would say that. I have not seen a lot of corporations throwing money at the problem. Mostly just state agencies. The CWD Research and Management Act will provide funds for a lot of research projects for the next few years.

The CWD Research and Management program is administered by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service at USDA. In the past 3 years, APHIS has consulted closely with states, tribes, researchers, and other experts in distributing funds to research and management projects most likely to advance effective testing, surveillance, control, and response.

The 2023 Federal budget approved more than $12 million for distribution to states, tribes, and for removing sick deer and elk to prevent transmission. Another $5 million funds Federal actions in research and management.

I’m not even sure why you would say that. I have not seen a lot of corporations throwing money at the problem. Mostly just state agencies. The CWD Research and Management Act will provide funds for a lot of research projects for the next few years.

You answered your own question here.

I think it is possable, maybe even likely that predators like coyotes can detect a CWD positive animal before they ever start to show symptoms. If there is any difference in the smell of a CWD positive animal predators would likely learn fairly quickly that CWD positives are potental target. Dogs can detect cancer in humans long before symptoms show up, could be the same with CWD. Hard to say what the effect would be.
Certainly possible. Definitely hard to tease these things out, especially when we’re dealing with wild populations on the landscape where it’s impossible to control, or even identify, all the possible variables at work. I guess it’s places like the Ruby that give me pause when it comes to the predator effects. I believe there is a full complement of large carnivores on the landscape in and around that area, and CWD prevalence has jumped to upwards of 75% or something ridiculously high. Why? Are predators not targeting them? Does the high proportion of private land ownership interfere with predators’ effectiveness? Is transmission occurring at such a rate that predation can’t make an appreciable difference? Could it, under different conditions? Is there something else entirely going on?

Just thinking out loud again. I am nowhere near familiar enough with the specifics over there to make any guesses and might well be way off base. But I find these kinds of questions interesting to mull around.

At this point, it is all funded by the government.

That is correct. Does this seem to be working well? You might be right- it could be that another 50 years and $100million spent studying bobcat shit might just be the silver bullet here. After all, there is “just so much we still don’t know.”

Or perhaps there is a better way forward?

That is correct. Does this seem to be working well? You might be right- it could be that another 50 years and $100million spent studying bobcat shit might just be the silver bullet here. After all, there is “just so much we still don’t know.”

Or perhaps there is a better way forward?
Not finding a solution is not failure. We are learning a lot. I think Americans lack patience and just want everything to be solved yesterday. Im willing to listen to “better way forward”. Find me a corporation that thinks there is profit in studying and solving the problem and NOT willing to cash the government check. Even if it jumps species to cattle or people, corporations can’t look far enough into the future to make the NPV work.

He who controls the data controls the outcome. Some of y'all have too much faith in government scientists. The rest don't realize how truly farcical it has become.

- A government scientist holding on for retirement

Not finding a solution is not failure.

I disagree with you on this point.

An uncoupling of the money being spent to combat a problem from people whose professional and financial well-being depends upon NOT finding meaningful solutions would be helpful.

Reminder: we are having this discussion on a thread about a state game agency misrepresenting CWD data- I will leave it up to others to wonder about why they might have done that.

Certainly possible. Definitely hard to tease these things out, especially when we’re dealing with wild populations on the landscape where it’s impossible to control, or even identify, all the possible variables at work. I guess it’s places like the Ruby that give me pause when it comes to the predator effects. I believe there is a full complement of large carnivores on the landscape in and around that area, and CWD prevalence has jumped to upwards of 75% or something ridiculously high. Why? Are predators not targeting them? Does the high proportion of private land ownership interfere with predators’ effectiveness? Is transmission occurring at such a rate that predation can’t make an appreciable difference? Could it, under different conditions? Is there something else entirely going on?

Just thinking out loud again. I am nowhere near familiar enough with the specifics over there to make any guesses and might well be way off base. But I find these kinds of questions interesting to mull around.
The East definitely does not have a full compliment of predators. We have coyotes for sure, but I think they are more likely to prey on small mammals and birds, maybe catch a few fawns in the spring and deer that are in the later stages of disease. Much to neighbor Larry’s disagreeance there is not a lion up every tree in the east and bobcats are going to rely on birds and small mammals like coyotes. The only predator that’s going to significantly affect the population is the 2 legged variety in the east.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back