Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Which Stihl Saw?

That must be those China saws. That 461 is about to be replaced by a 500i I guess it will never get broke in but it did go through 2 bars. Great saw !!

I can't tell you model numbers but own several Stihl saws and can tell you this.
They have a workhorse grade model and a lightweight homeowners model.

I've got two 16" Stihls, bought the second one for my cabin without looking too closely at it. The older one has two nuts to hold the bar on and newer one has one. After using it for a while the newer one is a much lighter weight piece of junk, the bar and chain are narrower, etc. Engine is a dog and it doesn't cut as fast. Guessing it was made for homeowners trimming a few backyard limbs. It's not much better than a cheap Poulan saw.

Look them over and get the heavy duty model.
I rarely find a need for bigger than a "16 bar I typically go after 15-20" lodgepole pine.
The commercial grade 16" sthil is a ms-261.
Mine is an absolute work horse.

VG, look at the 462 or 661. No electronic BS. No way in Hell I buy a fuel injected saw either. Those are the only two I saw free from the M Tronic control system that are big enough for what you need. mtmuley

VG, look at the 462 or 661. No electronic BS. No way in Hell I buy a fuel injected saw either. Those are the only two I saw free from the M Tronic control system that are big enough for what you need. mtmuley
The 462 might be worthy of replacing my 038. mtmuley

OK - here is where I ended up:

391 with 25" bar $795 in stock -- generally reviews (and Stihl's own documentation) suggest the 391 is not a great fit with a 25" bar.
400cm with 25" bar $1025 in stock -- reviews good with 25" bar
462 with 25" bar $1300 -- not in stock and no timeline to get
462cm with 35" bar $1395 -- not in stock but thought I could get within 2-3 months

So considering weight-to-power ratios, handling of a 25" bar, price, and actual availability, I just bought a 400cm from my local Stihl guy. I will pick it up this weekend.

OK - here is where I ended up:

391 with 25" bar $795 in stock -- generally reviews (and Stihl's own documentation) suggest the 391 is not a great fit with a 25" bar.
400cm with 25" bar $1025 in stock -- reviews good with 25" bar
462 with 25" bar $1300 -- not in stock and no timeline to get
462cm with 35" bar $1395 -- not in stock but thought I could get within 2-3 months

So considering weight-to-power ratios, handling of a 25" bar, price, and actual availability, I just bought a 400cm from my local Stihl guy. I will pick it up this weekend.
I have a 390 with probably less than 20 hours on it. I got a 391 because of the compression release and arthritis in my hands. I'll make you a smokin deal on it. It has never been run on anything but VP 50:1 mix.
Sorry, I reread your post that you already bought a saw.

Last edited:
Should have waited for a 500i….. sweetest dang saw I’ve ever run without it being a hot rod saw. But take care of that new saw and it will do the for years !

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back