Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Which Stihl Saw?

So, just for the record, how do you tell a "pro" model Stihl from a nonpro model - especially if you don't have a price tag hanging on it and if it might be 12-15 yrs old?

You ever date a McCulloch saw from the 1970s or are you not old enough ? ;)

THAT was a mean mother of a saw.
I had BUZ and ZiP model Homelights. Mankillers. Forget kickback brakes, those were for sissies.
2:1 reduction drive gears to drive that big ole chain. You could not lug those saws.
How's this for old? I have a Mall 2 man saw that is older than I am. It was manufactured in 1950. I was manufactured in 1952.
We had a Mall two man in my granddad's shed but I never saw it running.

I had BUZ and ZiP model Homelights. Mankillers. Forget kickback brakes, those were for sissies.
2:1 reduction drive gears to drive that big ole chain. You could not lug those saws.

We had a Mall two man in my granddad's shed but I never saw it running.
I pulled this one out of a local ranches dump. I actually got the engine to run! I never finished restoring it as most of my friends are nearly 70+ and all of them want to try it. I'm running out of friends and don't want to loose any to a chainsaw.

As a kid in the 80s, I learned a lot of new cuss words watching my dad try to start his old Poulan saw. He finally upgraded to a Stihl in the mid 90s and life has been much better.

We use a 361 and a 441 that I'm sure either one would work plenty in a mill type set up. The 441 has plenty of power and even too much at times. My dad also has the bare saw without the bar and fuel tank of a 028 wood boss that I'm trying to piece back together and overhaul. It originally had a 20 inch bar on it which would be great for cutting brush.

As a kid in the 80s, I learned a lot of new cuss words watching my dad try to start his old Poulan saw. He finally upgraded to a Stihl in the mid 90s and life has been much better.
My dad also had one of these and I to think I learned some of the cuss words I know today. But being a 12 year old kid hear his dad say a bunch of cuss words and toss the saw it was hilarious to me, just didn't let him know that.

Or pull at full choke until you get a sputter, then go to half and it will start on the next pull or the one after that.

Every saw is a little different and they change as they grow older (and meaner and heavier). :)
Yes, put the choke button all the way down to full choke, pull it ….until you hear it fire once…... then move the choke up one click and pull it again. It should start in one to three pulls. Once it’s warmed up after cutting and you shut it off for a little while you can just take it off shut down and pull it, should restart right up. Change the spark plug and fuel filter every year and keep the air filter clean.

Back