Yeti GOBOX Collection

Which broadhead is "fieldpoint accurate?"

Hof

I have been shooting a variety of broadheads lately.... more because I like to try everything that is out than any other reason. I have been shooting muzzy's for ever basically and have had extremely good luck with them. I have also killed deer with meatseeker expandable, and shuttle T locks. Last year my elk went down to a muzzy MX-4. I have been reading on Archery Talk how this broadhead is better vs that etc.... always comes down to people saying that the muzzies dont fly as well as the more expensive heads. I decided that I was going to sacrifice some fletchings and shoot all of them at one spot from 38 yds (as far as I can shoot in my yard.) They all seemed to hit well when shooting separate spots but I wanted to see how close they really were.

The four arrows shot were tipped with four different heads. 1-field tip, MX-4, Shuttle T, and Slick Trick standard.

Muzzy was touching the field tip and the other two heads were touching about 2" away.

Moral of the story is don't buy all the hype. Tune your bow and learn to shoot, any of the modern compact broadheads will fly great.

Lots of $$ spent to still be shooting Muzzies! lol.... I guess, it isn't broke.

Hof

I still shoot the old 125gr Thunderhead broadheads. They have always worked and fly good for me. I am the same, If it isn't broke, don't try to fix it.

IMO the key to good flying broad heads has little top do with the broadhead, and alot more to do with a well tuned bow/arrow. If your bow is tuned properly it will shoot most broadheads well. Conversely, there are probably some broadheads out there that will be a little more forgiving to imperfect tuning; which is why I think mechanicals have gotten so popular. If my T3's shoot better than my slick trick mags I cannot perceive the difference.

The weakest link, when it come to accuracy, in my archery setup is me.

I'm not giving up my Shuttle T's...they fly with my field points out of my bow set up

Yeah I like the shuttles too.... They are probably the most forgiving fixed blade from what I read. Sounds like a lot of guys have really good results with them. I don't think that after this test I would hesitate to carry a muzzy, a slick trick, a shuttle, a rage hypo, and a judo tip in the quiver.... give it a little bit of diversity!.

MX-4's are just the cheapest and the replacement blades are pretty cheap as well. very economical to shoot compared to some of the others. Especially if you practice with them very much. I only plan on Utilizing 2-3 broadheads for real during a season so it isn't really that much of a factor I guess.

The blades on the MX4's are very weak and bend and crumple with the least bit of resistence. There's a reason they are so cheap...lol Plus, Muzzy was bought out by the company that puts out Rage broadheads, so that's another reason I won't use them.

I have killed several animals with the MX-4's and yet to have a blade "crumple"... I do try to avoid shooting steel barrels and all the other crazy stuff people do. All I know that they seem to take an elks breath away pretty quickly! ;)

I shoot a bit of everything.... like the slicks and the shuttles, but have definitely had the most kills with muzzy's.

I shoot the epeks. I have shot a lot of broadheads, the epeks are by far the best flying broadheads i have ever shot.

I know this may sound crazy to most, but, I have NEVER shot any broadheads at any of my targets. . .ever. . . ( 35 yrs). I shoot the same grain field point for practice that I will use during the season with broadheads. . . normally 100 gr/ 100 gr Thunderheads. I have never had any issues with planing, or ? with any broadheads while in the woods. . .to each their own I guess. . .my broke a$$ can't afford to replace broadheads all the time. lol Its getting close guys, good luck this year!

I shoot Grim Reaper mechanicals. They came with with a non-mechanical (same shape though) practice tip. Otherwise I have always just used the same weight field points like Rut Junkey.......but I'm a cheap hunter.

As everyone here already stated - if your bow is tuned well with the proper arrows, you shouldn't have a broadhead issue; but, I'd like to know which broadhead penetrated 4" further in the OP's first picture??? Maybe soft spot?
That is what I look for in a broadhead.
Me and my buddies shot 7 different brands of broadheads out of 3 different bows at different yardages. They all pretty much flew good (some fletchings didn't perform like the rest with a broadhead tipped arrow in the wind), but 1 or 2 broadheads out penetrated the others from each bow at each distance. The shuttle T's and the Terminal T's out penetrated all the rest every time - by a lot. A close second would be the RamCats but they weren't nearly as tough.
The Muzzy's did alright but had blade issues.
The Rage were the worst in every test that we did. They kept falling apart so it was hard to re-use one more than twice, so they even had a sharpness advantage over the others - fail
Just our observations...

I shoot Ulmers broadheads and like the fact you can lock the blades them in place. They are my practice points and what my bow is tuned to.

You didn't shoot the broadhead that I am currently convinced is the sharpest, most accurate. Therefore, your test results are not valid. :)

I wish my bow and I were that well tuned. Nice shooting!

You didn't shoot the broadhead that I am currently convinced is the sharpest, most accurate. Therefore, your test results are not valid. :)

I wish my bow and I were that well tuned. Nice shooting!

Which broadhead are you speaking of???? I would be happy to try it out!.

Hopefully my bow will be tuned that well again here in the next day or two... I posted another thread about that. bad time of year to be having bow problems...;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back