PEAX Equipment

Where to hunt wolves.

Bigman58

So for the last few years since wolf hunting in the west has opened up and become a thing normal people have access to I have wanted to hunt them. My biggest problem is which state to hunt them in? What is the general opinion?

Go look at the population levels in each state.

Wolves are hard to hunt. I live in a wolf state, have two packs that live by my house (seen wolves from my house), always have a tag in my pocket and I’ve yet to kill a wolf.

Good luck!

Same. I see wolves every year in the fall, always have a tag in my pocket, still have yet to kill one.. I think up by glacier you may have better luck, but I really have no idea…

….Every day I'd watch them beauties roll by
And sometimes I'd hang my head and cry
'Cause I always wanted me one that was long and black….

😂😅
2F26AB86-C497-48C2-9865-FC1AB4B18A9F.png

I have heard that North of Libby MT carries a good amount of wolves.
I have hunted up by Trego I think that's the name and Yaak. We had tracks and could hear them. never saw them and they would not come into the call. LOTS of snow, snowshoes, and we used snowmobiles. There is a lot of forest land we hunted private.

Do you guys think this is a wolf
or a coyote? Was taken in early May a few years ago.
7780761C-D3BB-4473-9C7D-0BA556BCE4B1.jpeg

Attachments

• 0CD1E9CE-D4FC-47D6-A693-4F11B9972334.jpeg
    0CD1E9CE-D4FC-47D6-A693-4F11B9972334.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 20
Could you tell how tall it was?
It could be a wolf pup.
A lot of times you can tell the way they carry their tail.
I think a coyote tends to let its tail curve between its back legs and a wolf tends to let it curl outward when it is not threatened or around more alfa dogs.

The canine and bear pics were taken from the the same game camera I set up on public land. I ended up taking the bear which was a 9 year old dry sow per FWP aging. It weighed about 150 pounds of that gives you any sort of frame of reference. I thought wolf too.

That's 100% a wolf.

The problem with targeting wolves is the places with the highest densities are also the hardest to hunt them in. NW MT and the Idaho panhandle are steep and heavily timbered. You're almost exclusively relying on calling them in. I think if I was going to make a trip targeting wolves I would most likely go to an area with less wolves but easier glassing.

I've been trying real hard for years now and still haven't been able to connect. I'm running out of ways to mess up opportunities on them.

Also, the places that I hunt that are accessible in the winter have way less wolves now than ten years ago. Hunters and trappers have definitely knocked their numbers back, in my experience.

What are you guys seeing for traits that make you think wolf? Long legs?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back