Yeti GOBOX Collection

Where to hunt wolves.

NW Montana has the wolves. It’d be a challenge to get them calling them in up there but people do. Some guys really do damage with the trap lines if conditions align right. The people I know who do well also know the country like the back of their hands.

There’s an outfit out of Plains that does guided wolf trapping/hunting (I think?). Don’t know anything about the outfit but that might be something to look into, the people who trap wolves spend a LOT of time learning just to be able to have a little success.

I know a guy who was successful early fall getting a couple. The reason it worked is because he found a den location and was able to set up nearby. They move around a lot year to year - month to month… an area where I saw tons of wolf tracks last year I saw just one set this year.

You may consider doing a bear hunt in early fall (October) and having a wolf tag in your pocket. You’d at least be able to get some action in on the bears and start to get a feel for the country/potentially find some wolves. You could also get by with just a 4x4 rig and not need a snowmobile, etc.

If you’re in it for the challenge/adventure then I’d say just go for it.

No experience with wolves other than getting a lucky opportunity and bagging one on an AK caribou hunt, but lots of experience trapping and hunting coyotes.
Canines tend to be far more wary / smart than most other critters. If whitetails were as smart and spooky as coyotes, most of us would never kill a big buck.

Echoing the difficulty from others here on killing one without bait or traps. I always carry a tag, and like others I have seen or heard them almost every fall while Elk hunting (Montana), but getting a shot hasn't happened. Howled a pack in to about 100 yards while bowhunting a few years ago - closest I have been.

We have been trying harder and harder in December and January in recent years, throwing on the snow shoes and howling in areas we know they are abundant, but no luck. Guys I know who have been the most successful use snow machines.

All that being said, if you really, really want one, and you're willing to spend the cash, an outfitter in Alaska would be the move.

I say wolf too. I also say it’s fuggin starving and mangy dude the ASPCA oughta step in or something JEEESUS 😳

Montana, Wyoming and Idaho are states with high rates of wolves. Good luck hunting them.

Montana, Wyoming and Idaho are states with high rates of wolves. Good luck hunting them.

Unless i misunderstood, another HT member in a different thread said his information is that MT wolf hunter success rate is 25 to 33%. He said he also hunts wolves

Actual hunting harvest is more like .71 percent. Yes, just a Hair over a half percent.

Montana 2021-2022 License Year Wolf Harvest Report

Total hunting 148, trapping 125, total 273

Wolf Hunters & Trappers
• 20,828 total wolf licenses sold
• 17,190 residents
• 3,038 non-residents
• $339,338 in license sales
• 256 wolves harvested by residents
• 17 wolves harvested by non-residents
Wolf Hunting
• 96 hunters took 1 wolf (4 archery hunters)
• 11 hunters took 2 wolves
• 2 hunters took 3 wolves
• 1 hunter took 4 wolves
• 2 hunters took 5 wolves
• 1 hunter took 10 wolves
Wolf Trapping
• 32 trappers took 1 wolf
• 17 trappers took 2 wolves
• 4 trappers took 3 wolves
• 5 trappers took 4 wolves
• 1 trapper took 5 wolves
• 1 trapper took 6 wolves
• 2 trappers took 8 wolves
Land Ownership of Harvest Locations
• 58.3% Federal
• 5.5% State
• 36.2% Private

But here's a little inspiration...... :)

2020_1023_11301347~2.jpg

HNkltC9l (1).jpg

OzUbMtB.jpg

Actual hunting harvest is more like .71 percent. Yes, just a Hair over a half percent.
It would be interesting to see the harvest percentage based on people who actually target them. I would guess most people just pick up a tag for the opportunity and make no real effort to actually kill one. I bought one the year I hunted MT, but I was archery elk hunting and never attempted to get a wolf. I would like to get one someday tho...

Nice pics

Very few people spend a lot of time chasing them simply because it's such an incredibly low success rate. I personally could care less about shooting a deer but I will easily spend 100 days a year chasing predators.

Here is one I took in 2014 with my longbow. That was HARD!

bAqJTQg.jpg

o9LXYfB.jpg

Lots of streams and rivers on the island.....wolves on the big island have a taste for salmon...........
very few if any hunters target them .....mostly shot by bear hunters.....they are quick to melt into the woods.

Reactions: CMF
Little store on the side of the road at Toad Crossing, BC. Stopped in one time and they had a bunch of wolf pelts for sale. Interesting story how Toad Crossing got it's name. Early people up there with vehicles had to be towed across the creek there. Toad was a spelling mistake that was never changed. Really neat there!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back