Where to elk hunt 2010 Wy or Co

jerseyjack

Need some help deciding where to go for my first elk hunt. Not looking for a trophy bull just a bull. I have no problem hiking, spent last October going up and down the mountains of Newfoundland chasing moose. Not sure if I should go for an over the counter tag from Colorado or try and draw a General Elk License from Wyoming. If I didn't draw I would apply the point for the following year. No matter what state I decide on I am planning on a DIY hunt. Any thoughts or recommendations on which of the two states would be a better choice for a first timer. :confused::confused:

CO does have a lot more elk AND deer. I would go with CO. There's a user on here named ColoradoOak or something like that and he seems to make CO hunting look easy.

I heard the elk and deer are filthy down there!

:D

I was going to post another smart remark, but the truth is that both states are lousy with elk. The down side to hunting in Colorado is that the seasons are very short, so you will be out there competing with all of the other pumpkins in the patch. Wyoming doesn't seem to be as crowded after the first few days of the season, and in many areas you have at least two weeks to hunt.

As long as you come out with the realistic expectations that it might take you 2-3 hunts to be successful, you'll have a fun hunt and see some great country.

If you want to be successful in one of the general units here you will have to do your homework. Look at the success odds rates and start from there. You won't be able to hunt any of them that are in wilderness areas without a guide so be prepared for that.

The next thing is all bets are off when it comes to patterning them if you pick an area that has lots of access to ATV's. I have watched from opposit ridges as guys on ATVs miss elk because of their noise. The elk go into the trees literally the minute I could hear the motor.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back