Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Where should I move to in MT?

Background: My wife, myself and our two year old live in Omaha, NE where she is in year two of a four year OBGYN residency program (completion June 2023). We both grew up in ND, spent a couple years in both WA and AK. I’ve always wanted to live in MT for hunting, we both love the mountains for activities like snowboarding and lastly it allows us to be somewhat close to home to see family. The limiting factor for location is her job. Most smaller towns don’t have a dedicated OBGYN or you’d have to be on call most every night is my understanding. She would ideally like to live in a town of 15k or larger for those reasons, an ideal call ratio is 1:5-7. We have family in Helena and Butte so Helena is currently at the top of the list with Bozeman, Missoula and Sheridan (yes I know it’s in WY :) ) following. I’ve explored ideas like the Hamilton but I fear its too small. All that being said I have no experience with any of this, just basing this off of what I’ve read and what she has told me. I’d love to live in a smaller communityOur main goal is to find a community to invest ourselves in for decades to come and also have good work/life balance. Starting this month we will begin introducing ourselves to recruiters which may dictate a lot of this. We hope to have a plan by summer of 2022 to give us time to plan the move. I’ll update you all on what happens!

Question: Where in Montana should we look to move? Anyone have past experience with friends or family in a similar situation and can offer advice?

Thanks for any input and advice offered. I apologize for being another person looking to move to MT but I hope you understand our reasoning!
We are in a similar boat, Wife is a resident, 2026 is our target date so far
1. Bozeman,
2. Kalispell SVC
3. Anchorage

We have similar size requirements (same reason), would like access to a ski resort, but don't want to be in a ski town. We grew up in one and tried like hell to get out as soon as we turned 18. I don't want to raise my kids in another one.

Helena and Butte don't have skiing... same with Durango.

Wyoming doesn't have anything that fits the bill, Utah is a hard pass, Idaho...maybe

It's a work in progress, and sometimes I think we might be happiest in Burlington.

I always find it funny when people in Bozeman think it's expensive... View attachment 168933
This one is more shocking. It's about the cheapest thing imaginable.... that's not a cardboard box.

This one is more shocking. It's about the cheapest thing imaginable.... that's not a cardboard box.

Lol how about this? It's about a quarter mile from my apartment!

We are in a similar boat, Wife is a resident, 2026 is our target date so far
1. Bozeman,
2. Kalispell SVC
3. Anchorage

We have similar size requirements (same reason), would like access to a ski resort, but don't want to be in a ski town. We grew up in one and tried like hell to get out as soon as we turned 18. I don't want to raise my kids in another one.

Helena and Butte don't have skiing... same with Durango.

Wyoming doesn't have anything that fits the bill, Utah is a hard pass, Idaho...maybe

It's a work in progress, and sometimes I think we might be happiest in Burlington.
Not a fan of the Mediocre Divide huh? What, you want more than two lifts ha ha?

Not a fan of the Mediocre Divide huh? What, you want more than two lifts ha ha?
The best ski area in NA only has 4 though a couple of those don’t really count.

It’s terrain to be honest.

@neffa3... nah ah... shit are you agreeing with me or not... typically you’re sassy so that was my assumption

Gotta be a damn broke beer drinker to know this. Been there, drank it. Loved it. mtmuley
I can’t say that I loved it, but it was cheap and we could buy enough for a good party and still have money for Copenhagen and a pizza at 200 AM. Animal beer farts are the absolute worst.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back