Where should I move to in MT?

I’ve never been desperate enough to drink Schmidt, but I have chased off a cabin raiding bear at 2:00 AM in Red Lodge after about a gallon of PBR and some Northern Lights Canadian whiskey. In hindsight, we probably should have made sure it was a black bear before we did that...

The median income in bozeman is almost half of where you are at. Condos are going for about half that in bozeman, so it sounds pretty comparable.
Bozeman's got some screwy second home owner stuff going on that a lot of other places don't. I'm not sure where that leaves things.

Middle class folks are getting pinched out in a number of places.

Butte and helena dont have skiing? 🤔🤣

Bro my home mountain was Vail. I'm the epitome of a jaded skier... Helena is in Michigan for all intents and purposes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bozeman's got some screwy second home owner stuff going on that a lot of other places don't. I'm not sure where that leaves things.

Middle class folks are getting pinched out in a number of places.

Bro my home mountain was Vail. I'm the epitome of a jaded skier...
Just joking, Great Divide and Discovery have marginal snow at best. I would still take those over Big Sky now, that place has gotten ridiculous.
Lost trail south of Darby is probably my favorite in MT, but i haven't been on a board in years.
Montana's real estate is bizarre right now, lots of houses around me selling for crazy numbers. Only thing I can figure is it's people selling high and building new, but building is crazy right now too. I feel bad for anybody trying to be a first time buyer here.

I would still take those over Big Sky now, that place has gotten ridiculous.

I'm not sure what the def of ridiculous is in MT... lifts that function mostly?

Ridiculous in CO:
The closest ski to home has folks dressed in chef's clothes walk out to the bottom of the lifts at the end of the day to give everyone free, fresh from the oven chocolate chip cookies.

The parking structure in vail is $50 a day.

I wouldn't be surprised if Aspen was providing everyone with a gift bag of cocaine with their seasons pass.

I'm not sure what the def of ridiculous is in MT... lifts that function mostly?
Lift tickets well north of 100 bucks a day and beyond crowded. I hate dealing with crowds though.....
I've never been to Vail but I've spent time in Park City, Big Sky feels a lot like Park City these days.

Now the free cookies a guy could get behind!

Lift tickets well north of 100 bucks a day and beyond crowded. I hate dealing with crowds though.....
I've never been to Vail but I've spent time in Park City, Big Sky feels a lot like Park City these days.

Now the free cookies a guy could get behind!
Now admittedly it’s been 5 years, but my last season at big sky was very chill especially moonlight, tram lines were at times a little long but meh

This is not out of the ordinary at Vail
1609899952642.jpeg

Now admittedly it’s been 5 years, but my last season at big sky was very chill especially moonlight, tram lines were at times a little long but meh

This is not out of the ordinary at Vail
View attachment 168950
Big sky is definately chill compared to that. 🤮
Being an eastern montana boy, crowds of more than a few hundred people encite fits of rage I have to try to keep down. My wife loves to take me to walmart. 😡

Just joking, Great Divide and Discovery have marginal snow at best. I would still take those over Big Sky now, that place has gotten ridiculous.
Lost trail south of Darby is probably my favorite in MT, but i haven't been on a board in years.
Montana's real estate is bizarre right now, lots of houses around me selling for crazy numbers. Only thing I can figure is it's people selling high and building new, but building is crazy right now too. I feel bad for anybody trying to be a first time buyer here.
Definitely the biggest down side of the MT mountain regions are the real estate trends. I don’t see how it can continue. How does someone on an below average salary buy a $400k home and make it work? Referring to early posts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back